This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone Alergic To Eggs?

mommyto2kids

mommyto2kids Collaborator

I get sick after I eat pancakes when I add eggs to mix. Any thoughts? What egg substitiutions do you use?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I have seen egg substitutions descussed around here. Try using the Google feature. You might find some things. I wonder if applesauce would work in pancakes like it does in gluten cake?

IrishHeart Veteran

We used the egg replacer "EnerG" in a bread recipe and it seemed to work just fine!

It's weird, but when I eat eggs (scrambled with water or plain, fried or hard boiled) I feel nauseous, but baked IN things, like bread...no problem...go figure!?

Marilyn R Community Regular

We used the egg replacer "EnerG" in a bread recipe and it seemed to work just fine!

It's weird, but when I eat eggs (scrambled with water or plain, fried or hard boiled) I feel nauseous, but baked IN things, like bread...no problem...go figure!?

I turned up allergic to egg yolks (egg white is a more common allergy), but I can handle an egg in any baked recipe without problem...it is weird.

IrishHeart Veteran

I turned up allergic to egg yolks (egg white is a more common allergy), but I can handle an egg in any baked recipe without problem...it is weird.

:huh:

I don't know about you, kiddo---but isn't almost everything about this weird ???(that is a mild word ) :lol: :lol: :lol: I have so many weird symptoms, I started to wonder if I was secretly being poisoned by someone...good thing I'm not really paranoid or anything :blink::unsure:

:lol:

mommida Enthusiast

Eggs flare up my daughter's Eosinophilic Esophagitus.

I feel that baking without eggs + gluten free has been a huge challenge. I highly suggest Cybele Pascal's Allergen Free Baker's Handbook.

Egg replacers

chemical reaction vinegar and baking soda

Ener-G egg replacer

gelatin

applesauce

banana

some baby food puree (some just don't do it for me, yuck)

flax and warm water

yeast

The list is quite long and it really depends on what type of thing you are making and how well the replacement flavor blends into the recipe and the resulting texture. Just know it can be done and done well, that cookbook is great!

cahill Collaborator

''How did you figure it out?''

Eggs was the hardest of all of my intolerances and allergys to "figure out" for me. I was eating them daily at the time.

I did an elimination diet and had an intense reaction when I reintroduced eggs. I then had an allergist confirm my allergy to eggs.

I dont use egg replacers (yet any way) because I am not currently baking.( I havent found a flour mix that works well that does not contain potato flour)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lizard00 Enthusiast

I'm allergic to egg whites. Eating eggs by themselves have made me sick since I can remember, but I had an allergy test done and that's what showed up.

It is very hard to bake without eggs, BUT you can skip the egg in a pancake. I just tried it recently, and I didn't notice. Except I didn't feel gross after I ate them. :)

I can handle eggs in baked goods, as long as it's 1 or 2 eggs. Over that and I can start to feel it. For breads, I use olive oil to replace the fat that would come from the egg, and add a little more yeast to help it rise more. I also use gelatin and less gum in the bread. Sometimes I use the egg replacer when the egg is a leavening agent, but I can't say that I think it's great. I'm still experimenting. My next try is going to be the flax/chia slurry. :ph34r:

Looking for answers Contributor

I accidentally found out through a allergy blood test. Since cutting them out my often late ngiht sore throats went away and I now sleep through the night (used to wake up to everything). I probably would have never figured out on my own. Recently, I ate some gluten-free bread that contained eggs and I woke up all through the night, just like the good ol days. Interesting.

I've hears (never tried it) that the "gel" created when you let chia seeds soak in water for 5-10 minutes makes an awesome substitute for eggs.

mommida Enthusiast

Chia seems to be very expensive, so I haven't tried for an egg replacer yet.

• 2 weeks later...
xabbar Newbie

Eggs flare up my daughter's Eosinophilic Esophagitus.

I feel that baking without eggs + gluten free has been a huge challenge. I highly suggest Cybele Pascal's Allergen Free Baker's Handbook.

Egg replacers

chemical reaction vinegar and baking soda

Ener-G egg replacer

gelatin

applesauce

banana

some baby food puree (some just don't do it for me, yuck)

flax and warm water

yeast

The list is quite long and it really depends on what type of thing you are making and how well the replacement flavor blends into the recipe and the resulting texture. Just know it can be done and done well, that cookbook is great!

Thanks for the recommendation of Cybele Pascal's baking book. I have been gluten-free for 2 years and recently found out I also react to Dairy/Soy and Egg. To make it even more difficult my 13 year old is Gluten/Dairy/Soy & Egg and my 10 year old Soy and Egg! Aaaaaagh! I live on a small island in the Caribbean and have very limited access to any kind of health food store so the challenges are beyond ridiculous. Have downloaded this book to my iPad and look forward to trying out some of the recipes. Thanks again.

mommida Enthusiast

I have substituted gluten free flour mix that I have had on hand because I ran into problems finding the super fine rice flour.

Tom Sawyer gluten free flour mix was great in the recipes it has a bit of gelatin in it.

Happy baking! Time, patience, and practice.

Juliebove Rising Star

I'm very allergic. Took me a VERY long time to figure it out.

When we lived in NY I often ate eggs for breakfast. I was doing low carb then. I had to drive daughter to school right after breakfast. I would need the toilet and it would be hard to get out the door. Then once home I could barely get in the door before I had to go again. I didn't make the connection to the eggs and assumed it was the stress of driving on the bad streets and in heavy traffic. I used to alternate meals between eggs and cottage cheese. I had a dairy allergy that I didn't know of either!

Moved to WA and about a year later, daughter was diagnosed with food allergies that included eggs and dairy. So I quit eating them.

Then one day I got some egg salad from a salad bar. I ate it and about 16 hours later I got very sick. I thought maybe it was food poisoning but the time frame didn't seem right. Ate the rest of the egg salad and this time about 2 hours later had the same sickness.

Then some months later, I bought eggs for my husband but he didn't eat them. So I boiled them and made egg salad. Ate some. 16 hours later got sick. Still didn't make the connection. Ate half an egg salad sandwich for lunch on Thanksgiving then went to my parent's house where 2 hours after eating the sandwich I was dashing to the bathroom. Then I made the connection!

Finally decided to get tested. Mine is an IgG allergy. So it is often a delayed response. Unlike an IgE allergy which can give (but not always) instant symptoms and can kill you!

Daughter and I have outgrown some allergies and have developed new ones. But the egg allergy for me remains.

What I use for a substitute varies. I made a Betty Crocker yellow cake the other day with Ener-G egg replacer and daughter said it was very good. I didn't try it because I don't like cake. For heartier things like zucchini bread I use ground flax and water. For meatloaf I use babyfood squash. But mostly I try to cook and bake things that don't need any eggs. It's just easier.

Haven't had much success with pancakes. Years ago bought a mix that only required orange juice. Those pancakes were out of this world! But don't remember the brand and haven't found it since. Everything else I have tried leaves a thin layer on the pan that is next to impossible to clean off. Alas, daughter loves pancakes.

WinterSong Community Regular

I was never a big egg eater in the past. After going gluten-free, I made some hard boiled eggs to help up my protein intake. After eating one, I got very bad acid reflux - so that was the end of that! :P

Oddly enough I can tolerate them only if they are baked into something. I guess because I'm only getting trace amounts of it.

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Chia seems to be very expensive, so I haven't tried for an egg replacer yet.

Open Original Shared Link

This is where I get my chia seeds. Just started using them and really like them, but haven't used them as egg replacer. Just wanted you to know about this source.

They also have a huge selection of Certified gluten-free foods.

Open Original Shared Link

daniknik Apprentice

I get sick after I eat pancakes when I add eggs to mix. Any thoughts? What egg substitiutions do you use?

I have IgG reactions to Gluten, Dairy, Eggs and Soy. When I talked to my allergist (Dr. Newhall in Chicago) about the Egg allergy and the fact that I was having such a difficult time baking without them she told me that a large percentage of people with an Egg allergy can tolerate small amounts of egg when they are baked "in things" in an oven heated to at least 350 degrees F and for more than 20 minutes. The reasoning behind this is that the egg protein will break down when heated to a high enough temperature for a long enough period of time which will make it easier for my body to digest.

What this means for me is that I still can't cook pancakes with eggs (I use flax gel with the Namaste brand pancake mix, almond milk, and the Enjoy life mini-chocolate chips and it rocks! Plus it is potato starch free!)and cookies are pretty much a no-go too, since they only cook for about 9 minutes a pan. I can however eat brownies again (2 eggs with the King Arthur Flour brand gluten-free brownie mix) and have eaten a specially prepared cake made with eggs from Rose's Wheatfree Bakery in Evanston, IL. So, though scrambled eggs, mayonnaise, and french toast will always be out of the question, I have been able to reintroduce a few foods which has made my dietary restrictions just that much easier.

Good luck! You can do this!

• 3 months later...
Tabz Contributor

im not alergic too eggs but i have a friend that is she use's

apple sauce in place of eggs for her recipes.

:)

i hope this info helps

Archived