This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Best Vitamin D?

SarahJimMarcy

SarahJimMarcy Apprentice

At a 7-week follow up after my daughter's celiac diagnosis, we found that she's low on Vitamin D. (24.2 was the number.)

Does anyone know which Vitamin D is best? Her low number is despite taking some D I got at Target, which must not have been very good.

Thank you!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Marilyn R Community Regular

At a 7-week follow up after my daughter's celiac diagnosis, we found that she's low on Vitamin D. (24.2 was the number.)

Does anyone know which Vitamin D is best? Her low number is despite taking some D I got at Target, which must not have been very good.

Thank you!

You bought Vitamin D-3, right? I read (online, so maybe not reliable) that D-2 is worthless. Solar is the brand that I bought at the Health Food store, and it has been great. My fingernails are growing again vs. being paper thin, and my hair isn't falling out. It says on the bottle that they're gluten-free SF DF. And that mfg. has been around since 1940 something.

Last week I went to replenish them and they didn't say soy free on the label. I'm not sure if they changed the formulation or changed their labeling practice. I suppose it's worth an e-mail. I didn't buy them.

I remember a post by Ravenwood advocating a particular vitamin brand. I'd go with that. She gives very good advice.

SarahJimMarcy Apprentice

Are GNC vitamins any good? I asked there today about D3 and the guy kept pushing chewables that had calcium mixed in. Left because I was unsure.

GF Traveling Dude Newbie

The sun. 15 minutes per day. No sunscreen. No washing of exposed body parts 2 hours before or after.

Jungle Rookie

The sunlight recommendation is only effective in the southern regions. Us in the north would have a hard time getting enough Vit D in the summer after an afternoon in the sun let alone the other seasons. As for a good suppliment I'm not sure it is hard to tell what works. I bought a liquid calcium/D3 thinking it may be easier for my body to use it.

Neshema1 Newbie

I also think Solgar products are the safest, although I know PURE also is gluten free, some NOW products, and Phytogenetics (I take their riboflavin), but I always check the label even for Solgar. They even have gluten free, vegetarian calcium, which is hard to find. Yes, D2 is worthless, and 100,000 units rx d2 still left my d3 (what your body naturally makes) untraceable, resulting in uncontrollable hyperparathyroid disease, hypocalcemia, and severe premenopausal bone density problems. After reading the medical journals, I decided to get d3 and ditch my endo's failed efforts (this went on for years). If your D gets so bad so long and u get parathyroid disease, let me tell u, it makes you feel miserable and is called the "moans and groans disease" for a good reason. WEll, to the shock of my 3rd endocrinologist, I was on only 35,000 units a week of d3 by solgar (5,000 per day) and viola! My parathyroid was smack dab in the middle of normal range as was my D. Let the sunshine! Unfortunately, I have yet to tell her and my GI doc, that another doc found my original dx of celiac at age 24 or 14 mos was correct (I wont say how many years later) but after getting a fatal neuro dx and severe autoimmune disease. I am not sure Im in the fatal zone now. I am going gluten free again, and hoping my multisystem illness improves. At age 44, I that there was very little left for me. Try D3. Vit D deficiency can be quite serious, as can be celiac. Hope this helps.

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

I use Nature Made...They say gluten free on the label...and my vitamin D levels are coming up. They have not made me sick.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived