This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Please Help Bloating Is So Bad

glutenfreegirl

glutenfreegirl Enthusiast

Hi, I have been gluten-free for a while and suddenly. The bloating can get So bad after meals It can become hard to breath because of the pressure on my stomach. Along with the bloating mild anxiety kicks in....what do you think is going on? Does gluten-free foods bloat anyone else? gluten-free foods seem to be what bloats me most....I once read on here somewhere that gluten-free foods are not actually truly gluten-free is that true? Om goodness I live on gluten-free foods...breads, pasta, cookies, chocolate etc ugh could this be why I am not healing? The bloating is getting so bad it is effecting my life, I go from waking up with a flat stomach to looking six months pregnant.....and the pressure is so painful ...can anyone relate or have any suggestions?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

domesticactivist Collaborator

I'm sorry to hear you're hurting so much. It sounds to me like you have discovered processed crap is no good for you! Truly, I don't believe those products are actually good for anyone. Also, in the USA the rule is 20 ppm - some are definitely sensitive at that level. And don't get me started on "naturally gluten-free" foods that are processed on lines shared with wheat. Cross contamination abounds.

When we first went gluten-free we tried those products but I got HORRIBLY constipated. I think rice was the worst culprit. We also had gas, but not as bad as you are describing. It could be that in addition to gluten, you are sensitive to other common ingredients. Soy and corn can be major problems. My son and I both react to corn. My son kept getting glutened as well. I got the brain fog symptoms with many alternate flours. It wasn't until we totally cleaned our home of all traces of gluten AND switched to the GAPS diet which eliminates all grains and processed foods that we really felt we were healing.

If you look on my profile you can read about it on my blog. I have more of our story on the website that hosts the original blog as well.

Thank you so much for your fast reply..I am so tired of feeling like cr@p every time I eat your kind response really put me at ease. How much is 20pp? So it is true gluten-free processed food is really not pure gluten-free.....so you eat no processed foods no chocolate nothing? I eatba lot of it daily and lots of gluten-free chocolate...I wonder if it is the dairy in the chocolate too...I am dairy intolerant also....I just always think of dairy as milk,yogurt,ice cream etc....is th gaps diet not really hard to follow? I will ck out your website...thank you

domesticactivist Collaborator

20 ppm means 20 parts per million. So that's really a very, very small amount!

Look on my posts on the blog and you'll find a post about dairy as well.

If you are used to eating store-bought quick and easy things, it will definitely be a HUGE change for you. The GAPS diet is not a really easy thing to do, though it is simple. But it is a lot of work and there is a big learning curve at first. I have a couple posts on my blog you might want to read (the ones on my original site have links to the products and books mentioned, but the links are to the copies hosted on this site.)

GAPS Resources

Starting GAPS

All the recipes on our site are also GAPS legal - though not all of them are ok for the first stages of GAPS.

My advice is that while you think about whether GAPS is something you want to try, you at least start healing by eliminating most processed foods from your diet, and make sure you are 100% Gluten Free. That is a very important first step!

As for me, I am totally free of all packaged foods... even chocolate. (Though after the GAPS Intro, we did introduce cocoa and now can make some yummy brownies with just cocoa, coconut flour, eggs, and honey)

sreese68 Enthusiast

I would cut out the processed foods. Eat simply until you feel good. Keep a food log of all you eat and your reactions. If you still don't feel good, cut things out until you do (soy, lactose, etc). Keep in mind that a food reaction can take minutes or 3 days to show up - that's where the food log comes in to help you track things. Then, test things slowly. I found out I can't tolerate brown rice, so that leaves most gluten-free processed baked goods and lots of pastas out. Some people react to the gums in baked goods.

Good luck! It's frustrating to do all this, I truly know since I'm trying to figure my stuff out, too. I seem to know my safe foods now and am working on finding more.

RL2011 Rookie

I agree with what has been said already. Cut all everything out of your diet except whole (gluten-free) foods.

Too often I have read here people faced with changes to their diet from celiac disease or gluten intolerance that they try to duplicate the poor diet they had before by eating gluten-free junk food/ deserts and gluten free processed foods. I started Memorial Day Weekend and will continue to only eat basic whole foods and try to stay away from processed or junk foods except for my one a week dessert. Not sure what that dessert will be yet...

I wish you the best in your quest to feel better. I know it would be nice to have someone in the same household to remind you every so often to stick to your diet. So if you have someone close try to get them to help you.

WinterSong Community Regular

Hi,

I'm three months gluten free and am still experiencing really bad bloating. Because I feel that way after I eat anything, I'm tending to think that it's my body healing and having a hard time digesting foods in general, rather than another food intolerance.

I've been researching the theory of food combinations for easy digestion and have been trying it for the past few days. It's a very simple diet, but I figure if it helps my body during the healing process it would be well worth it just so I could wear my skinny jeans again.

This website explains it pretty well, if you'd like to take a look at it: Open Original Shared Link

Hope you feel better!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Thank you all... sreese68 you are right about the diet. That is exactilly what I did and I guess for a while it worked because i removed the gluten but now it has come back to bite me in the gut shall i say....I will confess it will be very hard to go processed gluten-free free, but I know you are all right it is what needs to be done, and I don't know why it brings such sad feelings up. when I got diagnosed it was such a mess. I had suspeceted somehting was wrong for a long time and just got handed antidepressents for yrs which I would not take and kept telling my GP I was not depressed, I was depressed because I felt so terrible....then I read up on celiac and thought hmm that sounds a lot like me, in my search I found all of you and searched on here more. Thats when I knew and pushed for testing but she would not do it....during all this time I would go off and on gluten as I figured ok I must be wrong...finally one day I go so sick and as fait would have it my regular GP was away. the dr I saw that day said lets test you somethings is really wrong. She sent me for the blood test and it came back inculnlusive, so back to square one and eatting gluten....needless to say sick again and retested, it had now been 2 yrs since I found your site here joint pain and the discovery of hashimotos through my new Dr through my move across the country. What I did not know was that when he tested my thyroid he also ran blood work for celiac...bamb there it was clear as day, both where positive...I asked him why he tested celiac and he said because they are usually connected...that was Nov 2010...the day i cried even more, but this time in joy, becasue I knew I was not crazy all these years..I had both my children tested and they too are positive.

Richard, yes support I am finding out is impoortant I tend not to reach out for help but since the gluten-free diet is clearly not working and I am finding this very hard to do on my own I am now asking for advice and support, our home is now completly gluten-free and my inlaws are very good when we eat there, they are still learning but open to helping. My family thinks I am just being dramatic and annoying, but that is a whole other story... ;)

Hi Jessica, I too am from NY, there seems to be a few of us here,we should try to all meet up in the city and give eachother some great support...

Hi,

I'm three months gluten free and am still experiencing really bad bloating. Because I feel that way after I eat anything, I'm tending to think that it's my body healing and having a hard time digesting foods in general, rather than another food intolerance.

I've been researching the theory of food combinations for easy digestion and have been trying it for the past few days. It's a very simple diet, but I figure if it helps my body during the healing process it would be well worth it just so I could wear my skinny jeans again.

This website explains it pretty well, if you'd like to take a look at it: Open Original Shared Link

Hope you feel better!

Hi Jessica, I too am from NY, there seems to be a few of us here,we should try to all meet up in the city and give eachother some great support...

That would be great. Are you a member of the NY Celiac Meetup group? I've heard that's a great community, too. It's just too bad that most of their events are on Monday evenings, and that's a day I definitely can't get off work. :-/

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

I'm sorry to hear you're hurting so much. It sounds to me like you have discovered processed crap is no good for you! Truly, I don't believe those products are actually good for anyone. Also, in the USA the rule is 20 ppm - some are definitely sensitive at that level. And don't get me started on "naturally gluten-free" foods that are processed on lines shared with wheat. Cross contamination abounds.

I just need to correct one thing. There actually is NO LAW in the US about how much gluten can be in a food in order for a company to claim it is "gluten free". Certain organizations that do gluten-free certification may have a rule of testing for under 20 ppm but that is not a yet law or standard. So, yes it would be good for you to limit the number of "gluten-free" products you eat. Especially if you don't feel well when eating them. Try switiching to a mostly whole food diet or things that are naturally gluten-free-- meats, vegetables, rice, potatoes, etc.

Hi Jessica, With the summer coming we definetly have to meet up, a nice patio lunch sounds yummy!!! I have not tried their group, I was invited to attent one in Rockland County in Nyack, but they do not meet again till Sept, that is ok with summer quickly approaching and all the great advice I am finding here, I am feeling optomistic and look forward to a fun filled bloat free summer...

That would be great. Are you a member of the NY Celiac Meetup group? I've heard that's a great community, too. It's just too bad that most of their events are on Monday evenings, and that's a day I definitely can't get off work. :-/

Hi Glutenfreemanna, thank you for that info. after much reading here in the last few days I am beggining to thing corn is a sly fox for me too, I get very bloated and crampy from it, I am dairy intolerant got diagnosed with that many years ago, but am wondering if I have been doing that right either this is why ...crazy question but if I am dairy intolerant do I need to avoid milk chocolate?? I thought of dairy as a glass of milk, yogurt,cheese etc not chocolate...but now I am wondering that too.......

I just need to correct one thing. There actually is NO LAW in the US about how much gluten can be in a food in order for a company to claim it is "gluten free". Certain organizations that do gluten-free certification may have a rule of testing for under 20 ppm but that is not a yet law or standard. So, yes it would be good for you to limit the number of "gluten-free" products you eat. Especially if you don't feel well when eating them. Try switiching to a mostly whole food diet or things that are naturally gluten-free-- meats, vegetables, rice, potatoes, etc.

Sounds like a great summer!

PS In response to your dairy question - I stay away from major forms of dairy (milk, cheese, yogurt, ice cream). But my doctor said that it was okay for me to have Dove dark chocolate (contains milk fat). I also use butter and nestle chocolate chips when I bake cookies (which I only do on occasion), and there are trace amounts of milk in the protein bars that I eat in emergencies. Perhaps it's because I only have them sparingly, but none of these seem to bother me (at least not more than the other foods I eat), although it's different for everyone.

Hi Glutenfreemanna, thank you for that info. after much reading here in the last few days I am beggining to thing corn is a sly fox for me too, I get very bloated and crampy from it, I am dairy intolerant got diagnosed with that many years ago, but am wondering if I have been doing that right either this is why ...crazy question but if I am dairy intolerant do I need to avoid milk chocolate?? I thought of dairy as a glass of milk, yogurt,cheese etc not chocolate...but now I am wondering that too.......

With dairy everyone is different in their level of tolerance. Some people cannot even tolerate that little bit. Gluten has likely dammaged the villi of your intestines. Lactase, which is the enzyme that breaks down lactose is produced at the tip of those villi. If you have damaged villi then your body is unable to process the lactose and you get that bloating and pain. It would not hurt to trial cutting ALL dairy out completely for a few months then try some (on a week when you are feeling good and have not had anything else new) to see how you react.

The good news is there ARE dairy free chocolates out there. Enjoy Life makes some good chocolate chips and some bars that are like brownie bars.

sreese68 Enthusiast

Thank you all... sreese68 you are right about the diet. That is exactilly what I did and I guess for a while it worked because i removed the gluten but now it has come back to bite me in the gut shall i say....I will confess it will be very hard to go processed gluten-free free, but I know you are all right it is what needs to be done, and I don't know why it brings such sad feelings up.

I'm there with you!!! I would totally eat gluten-free bread, brownies, etc if I could! I am glad in a way that I've been forced to eat much healthier than I have in my whole life, but I don't think treats are such a bad thing. (I know many here would disagree with me!) I've had many times at the grocery store where I get quite frustrated and sad that there are SOOOOOO many things there I can't eat! I went to a gluten-free bakery once with my kids and had to order my sandwich without bread because it all had brown rice flour in it. I told the owner that I bet I was one of the few people who had to order meat with no bread at her store! LOL! Anyway, I now try to only shop when I have a full stomach.

I'm there with you!!! I would totally eat gluten-free bread, brownies, etc if I could! I am glad in a way that I've been forced to eat much healthier than I have in my whole life, but I don't think treats are such a bad thing. (I know many here would disagree with me!) I've had many times at the grocery store where I get quite frustrated and sad that there are SOOOOOO many things there I can't eat! I went to a gluten-free bakery once with my kids and had to order my sandwich without bread because it all had brown rice flour in it. I told the owner that I bet I was one of the few people who had to order meat with no bread at her store! LOL! Anyway, I now try to only shop when I have a full stomach.

Another thing you can do is to try to stick to the perimeter of the store. I go in with my list, shop the produce section first then on to meats then I might go down one aisle (usually the rice or ethnic foods aisle) to get something I need. But for the most part I buy veggies, fruit and meat and then get out of the store. I don't like reading labels and pretty much everything in the center of the store requires that frustrating task. If I am getting anything other than meat or produce I make a list and try to get in and out as fast as possible. You'll find that gets easier as time goes on and you know what you can eat. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with an occaisional treat. But it's not really much of a treat if the treat makes you sick. Better to eliminate the gluten-free junk food for a while until you feel better. Then try one new thing per week to make sure it's something that you can eat.

(((HUGS))) to you both...thank you for reassuring me I am not the only one who struggles with this...it brings peace to me.I actually cleared out my kitchen this AM, went to the grocery store with my head held high, bought lots of fresh fruits and veggies, olives, brown rice...yummm I am so excited to get this straight....

(((HUGS))) to you both...thank you for reassuring me I am not the only one who struggles with this...it brings peace to me.I actually cleared out my kitchen this AM, went to the grocery store with my head held high, bought lots of fresh fruits and veggies, olives, brown rice...yummm I am so excited to get this straight....

I hope this new approach helps you. You might want to make sure most your veggies are cooked at first. Some people have trouble with raw veggies in the begining just because they are hard to digest. Steam them in some of those microwave steam bags (I like to buy plain frozen steamer veggies) or chop and stir-fry on the stove top (with whatever seasonings you like) to put over that rice.

oh yeh...great idea those steamer veggies...i forgot about them, will add them to the grocery list...

anabananakins Explorer

It's worth experimenting with the veges you eat too. It turned out that I had fructose malabsorption, and onion is the major culprit for me. I cut that out - bloating goes away. It's worth googling "Sue Shepherd" and "FODMAPs" and reading up a bit more on it. Most of the research is new and it's coming out of Australia (Monash University).

It's worth experimenting with the veges you eat too. It turned out that I had fructose malabsorption, and onion is the major culprit for me. I cut that out - bloating goes away. It's worth googling "Sue Shepherd" and "FODMAPs" and reading up a bit more on it. Most of the research is new and it's coming out of Australia (Monash University).

Will do off to search that right now..thank you so much

Knock on wood, but my experiment with food combinations is going really well! For the first time in a LONG time I feel normal again. And when I looked in the mirror today my body looked the way it did before I ever suspected I was sick. I'll post more as my experiment continues, but I highly recommend researching it and trying it out :)

Knock on wood, but my experiment with food combinations is going really well! For the first time in a LONG time I feel normal again. And when I looked in the mirror today my body looked the way it did before I ever suspected I was sick. I'll post more as my experiment continues, but I highly recommend researching it and trying it out :)

Will do....definitely please keep me posted on your success...I am routing for you

viviendoparajesus Apprentice

I noticed a difference when I ate a lot of processed foods versus more raw food. I felt full/bloated and sluggish on a lot of processed food. Dr Bateson-Koch's book recommends a mostly raw diet. I think no processed foods is too hard and impractical given the advertising, having eaten lots of processed foods, and how they are something easy to travel with or have in case there are not safe gluten-free foods available. I like to eat mostly raw foods and some processed foods. I love Enjoy Life brand since they avoid major allergens in their products. They have a great dairy free chocolate. The only thing is some of the products have rice which does not work if you have cross reactivity issues. It is important to check labels and see if it has small amounts of gluten or is from naturally gluten free sources. I am not sure what part of the dairy is an issue for you (lactose or casein intolerant, milk allergy). There are alternatives. Daiya has vegan cheese it does have yeast though. There is coconut and cashew ice cream. There is rice and almond milk yogurt. hope you can find something that works for you and that you feel better. best wishes.

Archived