Noles Girl

Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity/intolerance

Rate this topic

Hello everyone,

I was diagnosed today with Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity. I've had issues for 8+ years, and its great to finally put a name to what I have been going through. For years doctors' labelled me as having IBS, but then my headaches (migraines and tension) started occurring on a weekly basis, I was extremely exhausted that it interfered with my day, and I started losing my memory. I've always had an excellent memory, and I'm only 32 so I knew that I shouldn't be having memory loss this soon. About 3 months ago, I switched to a new doctor and she ran some blood tests and found out that I had a Vitamin B12 deficiency and that I was positive for one of the markers on the Celiac panel. My doctor had me try a gluten-free diet for a month and almost all my symptoms had either lessened or went away. I was sent to a GI doctor to confirm if I had Celiac, so I had to go back on a gluten diet for 6 weeks before my endoscopy and small intestine biopsy. It was miserable because all the abdominal pain, bloating, gas, headaches, and fatigue returned. I found out today that my biopsy returned normal with no damage to the small intestine, so my GI doctor has labelled me with NCGS since my body cannot tolerate gluten. I have been told by both my primary doctor and my GI doctor to live a gluten-free lifestyle. It's nice to know that eventually I will start feeling normal again and enjoy eating.

Welcome! You're in the right place. I've gleaned an abundance of information and support on this forum, more than any other outlet. There are so many people here who truly care.

I'm diagnosed the same as you, non-celiac but with a world of trouble ingesting gluten, for me mostly neurological. Shortly after removing gluten from my diet, I also stopped eating dairy and soy, and that seemed to make everything click for me, that, and watching the cross contamination issues. But one thing I know from reading these posts, EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT. That being said, there is always someone here who knows exactly what you're going through, so put your questions out there and see what works best for you.

You're in great company!