Kate79

Udi's Hamburger Buns - Possible Recall

Rate this topic

My finacee and I bought a package of Udi's hamburger buns last week - the 'whole grain' version. We were very pleased with them. When my fiancee went back to Whole Foods to buy some more today, he was told by an employee that Udi's had emailed them today to state that the hamburger buns were currently not being shipped to stores because Udi's had found a problem with one of the ingredients that they're currently working to correct. The employee was unable to tell my fiancee if the ingredient was gluten-related - but I can't think of another ingredient issue that would keep Udi's from shipping. At any rate, if you have the new hamburger or hot dog buns, you might want to refrain from eating them until there's some kind of official word from Udi's. There's nothing on their website right now.

Personally, I don't know if I reacted to eating the buns, as I'd already gotten glutened last week and was still having issues.

Also curious if anyone else has heard anything about this??

Could be that one of the grains isn't the quality they want or they are having a supplier problem. Might have nothing to do with gluten.

The website says Temporarily out of stock. Probably can't keep up with the demand. They have been praising these things on every gluten-free website. Hopefully, that's all.

Hi Kate,

I work for Udi's and just wanted to let you know that in regards to the buns recall, we had an ingredient ‘supply chain issue’. There is no problem with the ingredient itself and no risk of gluten contamination. All of our products are made in our certified gluten free bakery. Additionally, this supply issue has been resolved and we will be shipping the buns out again shortly.

Thanks for your support!

Best,

Maeve Whelan-Wuest

Denver, CO

My finacee and I bought a package of Udi's hamburger buns last week - the 'whole grain' version. We were very pleased with them. When my fiancee went back to Whole Foods to buy some more today, he was told by an employee that Udi's had emailed them today to state that the hamburger buns were currently not being shipped to stores because Udi's had found a problem with one of the ingredients that they're currently working to correct. The employee was unable to tell my fiancee if the ingredient was gluten-related - but I can't think of another ingredient issue that would keep Udi's from shipping. At any rate, if you have the new hamburger or hot dog buns, you might want to refrain from eating them until there's some kind of official word from Udi's. There's nothing on their website right now.

Personally, I don't know if I reacted to eating the buns, as I'd already gotten glutened last week and was still having issues.

Also curious if anyone else has heard anything about this??

I just got these and was saving them as a treat because I try to be grain free as much as possible. Now kinda afraid to try them. I also got a loaf of the Millet Chia and was saving it.

Could be that one of the grains isn't the quality they want or they are having a supplier problem. Might have nothing to do with gluten.

The website says Temporarily out of stock. Probably can't keep up with the demand. They have been praising these things on every gluten-free website. Hopefully, that's all.

Hope you're right, too - they were really good! Just a better safe than sorry thing.

Hi Kate,

I work for Udi's and just wanted to let you know that in regards to the buns recall, we had an ingredient ‘supply chain issue’. There is no problem with the ingredient itself and no risk of gluten contamination. All of our products are made in our certified gluten free bakery. Additionally, this supply issue has been resolved and we will be shipping the buns out again shortly.

Thanks for your support!

Best,

Maeve Whelan-Wuest

Denver, CO

See? I told you so! :P

Thank goodness.

I have investigated the source of the MWhelan post and to the best I can determine, it is genuine and comes from Udi's.

I have investigated the source of the MWhelan post and to the best I can determine, it is genuine and comes from Udi's.

I'm glad to read they're fine. I've had two in tha past week and they are wonderful!

Whether or not the source of that post is actually from Udi's...isn't Udi's a gluten-free bakery? If its a gluten issue that would mess up their status with that. Maybe I'm wrong though.

We bought these a few weeks ago at Whole Foods. They were unrefrigerated/unfrozen and had a sticker on them that said 6/16. I would assume they would be good until then. A few days after I bought them, they were moldy! So I had to throw them out.

Every other place that sells them, sells them frozen. Are these supposed to be kept frozen?

We bought these a few weeks ago at Whole Foods. They were unrefrigerated/unfrozen and had a sticker on them that said 6/16. I would assume they would be good until then. A few days after I bought them, they were moldy! So I had to throw them out.

Every other place that sells them, sells them frozen. Are these supposed to be kept frozen?

I keep them frozen. 60 seconds on half power in the microwave thaws them perfectly.

Udi's is here on the board? Wow, cool. B)

I think you are supposed to freeze them if they aren't already, and if you are not going to eat them immediately. If Whole Foods had them frozen at some point, and then defrosted, they would tend to mold up pretty quickly.

The only gluten-free breads I've had that didn't do that quick- mold routine is is the stuff I use with amaranth and almond meal in it, which seems to keep for up to 5 days or more in the refrigerator.

I think you are supposed to freeze them if they aren't already, and if you are not going to eat them immediately. If Whole Foods had them frozen at some point, and then defrosted, they would tend to mold up pretty quickly.

The only gluten-free breads I've had that didn't do that quick- mold routine is is the stuff I use with amaranth and almond meal in it, which seems to keep for up to 5 days or more in the refrigerator.

So far I have never seen any gluten-free bread with any mold, either my own homemade or purchased. Whew!!

So far I have never seen any gluten-free bread with any mold, either my own homemade or purchased. Whew!!

I have! The stuff I've made has gone moldy and I've seen plenty of Ener-G that has gone moldy. If it's one day beyond the expiration date it goes all green. And I have bought some that apparently had a bad seal because it went bad right away.

I have! The stuff I've made has gone moldy and I've seen plenty of Ener-G that has gone moldy. If it's one day beyond the expiration date it goes all green. And I have bought some that apparently had a bad seal because it went bad right away.

Oh, yuck! I've been really lucky I suppose. But I keep Udi's bread in the freezer and grab a piece now and then. None of my homemade breads have gone moldy at all. Weird.

ETA: I'm guessing it is weather related. We are usually very dry here.

Edited by love2travel

Whole Foods probably does for Udis what Canyon Bakehouse told me they do for their bread. Canyon ships it frozen except to store in the Denver area ( in town). WF keeps it frozen & puts a few out on the shelf at a time. It thaws and you can eat it or put it back in the freezer. You can ask WF to get you a frozen one from the back ( at $6-7 I don't mind asking plus they are so darn nice, it's unnatural).

I think Julie lives in the Pacific NW where it is damp a lot. When it is humid here, even with a/c, stuff goes bad sooner. I just pull a few pieces out of the freezer, put them on a plate & in 10-15 minutes, they are thawed.