This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Low Dose Naltroxene

cassP

cassP Contributor

Low Dose Naltroxene ???? would like to know experienced input from members on here with Celiac, and maybe also Thyroid Disease.

Hi, i am REALLY struggling right now- i have way too many debhilitating symptoms that often keep me secluded in my home :( i have Celiac and BOTH: Hashimoto's & Grave's. while the Armour is helping with many of my hypo symptoms- some of my hyper symptoms are worse.. it's a ROLLERCOASTER. anyways- i would like to know what your experience is if you are taking Low Dose Naltroxene. members on the "Stop the Thyroid Madness" forum are urging me to look into LDN and that its really helped them. im hesitant to add another drug to my body... plus i was worried because LDN is supposed to give a little boost to the immune system- BUT I THOUGHT that our immune systems were hyperactive and needed soothing, not boosting.

so, that's why im asking you here- because the autoimmune thyroid members are telling me that the LDN has helped them, but im wondering what it does when you have Celiac- would it cause our celiac antibodies to go into overdrive? or would it be helpful?

thanku

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Looking for answers Contributor

Hey there!

I was prescribed it by a doctor at the Whitaker Wellness Center. I started taking it but then stopped as my hubby and I started talking about getting pregnant. I did a lot of research into it and it really seems to help people with autoimmune problems - all types. My doctor said it helped her reverse Lupus. I would defintely do your research, find a good doctor to work with. The only side effects I had was some vivid dreams. Dr. Mercola's site was the first I learned about it, so start there. He recommends it.

Skylark Collaborator

Hi, Cass

If you try this, please let me know how it turns out because we're in the same boat. I've read about LDN in fibro and MS, but not in thyroid disease. MS is autoimmune and there are even two peer-reviewed studies that it helps people feel better.

My current thing is trying to go low-fluoride. I figured out I moved to an area with fluoridated water shortly before my thyroid started getting worse and worse. There is sixty years of research on how fluoride can make you hypothyroid if you're getting enough of a dose. Grrrr... Get that crap outta my water!!!!

I'm drinking distilled water, brushing teeth with Tom's toothpaste which is fluoride-free, and trying to squeeze a little more organic food into the budget to get away from pesticide residues.

You tell me if LDN works and I'll let you know about fluoride! I'm on day four. B)

burdee Enthusiast

Low Dose Naltroxene ???? would like to know experienced input from members on here with Celiac, and maybe also Thyroid Disease.

i would like to know what your experience is if you are taking Low Dose Naltroxene. i was worried because LDN is supposed to give a little boost to the immune system- BUT I THOUGHT that our immune systems were hyperactive and needed soothing, not boosting.

so, that's why im asking you here- because the autoimmune thyroid members are telling me that the LDN has helped them, but im wondering what it does when you have Celiac- would it cause our celiac antibodies to go into overdrive? or would it be helpful?

I've been taking low dose naltrexone (LDN) daily since last November (11/29/10). Before I started taking LDN, my white blood cells were low and I had continual respiratory infections (colds, sinus infections).

During the first few weeks of LDN I had more vivid dreams, but nothing really disturbing. However, LDN intensified the effect of my thyroid hormones. The LDN website warns thyroid patients to begin LDN at the lowest effective dose to prevent hyperthyroid symptoms. However, I was taking 50 mcg T4 and 10 mcg T3 daily when I began the LDN. Soon after starting LDN I experienced hyperthyroid symptoms. So I decreased my LDN to 1.5 mg. However, my colds continued. So I decided to just take tne T3, since I don't easily convert T4 to T3, and increase the LDN back to 3 mg. After 3 months of LDN my white blood cells increased to the normal range, but my T4 level was really low. So I slowly increased my T4 while maintaining my LDN (3mg) level). I had no more hyperthyroid symptoms and no colds for the past 2 months!

LDN did NOT exacerbate my celiac sensitivity, but I absolutely abstain from gluten as well as my 6 other allergens, because I've always had obvious (painful gut) reactions to my allergens. LDN decreased my Hashimoto's antibodies even lower than 6 years of gluten abstinence had decreased them. I've also noticed decreased hypothyroid symptoms (and no more hyper reactions). So I opted to take another 3 months of LDN (after my first 3 months). Beyond my initial hyperthyroid reactions and vivid dreams, my body adjusted to LDN and I've had no more adverse reactions. If you decide to take LDN, start at the lowest effective dose (no lower than 1.5 mg daily) and work up to whatever dose works with your thyroid supps (no higher than 4.0). I do well on 3.0mg, because I'm between 100-105#. LDN dosage is recommended by weight. PM me for the LDN website, which will answer more of your questions.

I've been taking low dose naltrexone (LDN) daily since last November (11/29/10). Before I started taking LDN, my white blood cells were low and I had continual respiratory infections (colds, sinus infections).

During the first few weeks of LDN I had more vivid dreams, but nothing really disturbing. However, LDN intensified the effect of my thyroid hormones. The LDN website warns thyroid patients to begin LDN at the lowest effective dose to prevent hyperthyroid symptoms. However, I was taking 50 mcg T4 and 10 mcg T3 daily when I began the LDN. Soon after starting LDN I experienced hyperthyroid symptoms. So I decreased my LDN to 1.5 mg. However, my colds continued. So I decided to just take tne T3, since I don't easily convert T4 to T3, and increase the LDN back to 3 mg. After 3 months of LDN my white blood cells increased to the normal range, but my T4 level was really low. So I slowly increased my T4 while maintaining my LDN (3mg) level). I had no more hyperthyroid symptoms and no colds for the past 2 months!

LDN did NOT exacerbate my celiac sensitivity, but I absolutely abstain from gluten as well as my 6 other allergens, because I've always had obvious (painful gut) reactions to my allergens. LDN decreased my Hashimoto's antibodies even lower than 6 years of gluten abstinence had decreased them. I've also noticed decreased hypothyroid symptoms (and no more hyper reactions). So I opted to take another 3 months of LDN (after my first 3 months). Beyond my initial hyperthyroid reactions and vivid dreams, my body adjusted to LDN and I've had no more adverse reactions. If you decide to take LDN, start at the lowest effective dose (no lower than 1.5 mg daily) and work up to whatever dose works with your thyroid supps (no higher than 4.0). I do well on 3.0mg, because I'm between 100-105#. LDN dosage is recommended by weight. PM me for the LDN website, which will answer more of your questions.

It's great to hear of your success!

Hi, Cass

If you try this, please let me know how it turns out because we're in the same boat. I've read about LDN in fibro and MS, but not in thyroid disease. MS is autoimmune and there are even two peer-reviewed studies that it helps people feel better.

My current thing is trying to go low-fluoride. I figured out I moved to an area with fluoridated water shortly before my thyroid started getting worse and worse. There is sixty years of research on how fluoride can make you hypothyroid if you're getting enough of a dose. Grrrr... Get that crap outta my water!!!!

I'm drinking distilled water, brushing teeth with Tom's toothpaste which is fluoride-free, and trying to squeeze a little more organic food into the budget to get away from pesticide residues.

You tell me if LDN works and I'll let you know about fluoride! I'm on day four. B)

I totally agree with you. I also use Tom's, drinked reverse-osmosis water, and I even put a filter on my shower...don't know if it removes fluoride or not, but every little step helps. Fluoride isn't even FDA approved, yet we're all consuming so much of it. Scary!

cassP Contributor

thanku everyone for your replies!

Sue: i was concerned about the Celiac because it seems my digestive tract is RIDICULOUSLY SENSITIVE. i got glutened over 3 weeks ago ( im suspecting PF CHANGS)- and i am STILL recovering... :(

also Sue- when u talk about changing your doses, and then doing T3 only for a short period of time- how did your doctor feel about this??? ive been getting labs every 6 weeks- and altho my doc is super great and prescribed Armour, and also has been testing my RT3... she seems to be very resistant to T3 only, 24hour adrenal test, etc.... plus she doesnt seem to fully understand how i am experiencing hypo & hyper symptoms simultaneously... :/

i think my WBCs are okay.. i rarely get sick- but my hypo & hyper symptoms, vit D & iron deficiency, and my additional food intolerances are sometimes UNBEARABLE... that's why im considering also looking into this LDN.

thanku again!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

burdee Enthusiast

Sue: i was concerned about the Celiac because it seems my digestive tract is RIDICULOUSLY SENSITIVE. i got glutened over 3 weeks ago ( im suspecting PF CHANGS)- and i am STILL recovering... :(

also Sue- when u talk about changing your doses, and then doing T3 only for a short period of time- how did your doctor feel about this??? ive been getting labs every 6 weeks- and altho my doc is super great and prescribed Armour, and also has been testing my RT3... she seems to be very resistant to T3 only, 24hour adrenal test, etc.... plus she doesnt seem to fully understand how i am experiencing hypo & hyper symptoms simultaneously... :/

i think my WBCs are okay.. i rarely get sick- but my hypo & hyper symptoms, vit D & iron deficiency, and my additional food intolerances are sometimes UNBEARABLE... that's why im considering also looking into this LDN.

Taking L-glutamine helps my intestines recover after accidental contamination. I also took that to heal my stomach while treating H. Pylori. I don't know whether LDN is used for gluten sensitivity. See Open Original Shared Link for uses and precautions for LDN. I can't remember reading about using LDN for gluten sensitivity. However, it's used for many other autoimmune diseases, which are highly correlated with (if not caused by) gluten intolerance. My doc prescribed LDN to raise my immunity. I was pleasantly surprised when LDN reduced my Hashimoto's antibodies.

My doc respects my decisions so I stayed on T3 only for 2 months while I adjusted to LDN. However, my next blood test showed my T4 was very low. Then she and I both agreed that I should resume taking T4, but start at a lower dose. I'm now back to my original 50mcg dose (with 10mcg of T3) daily. I plan to retest after another month to see where my thyroid hormones and white blood cells are.

• 2 weeks later...
beachbirdie Contributor

Be careful when using Tom's toothpaste. Read the label closely because they make both fluoride and non-fluoride versions.

I use one without silica and without foaming agents. Weleda makes some good ones.

beachbirdie

Archived