color_me_confused

Low Vitamin D And Bone Density

Rate this topic

This was unexpected...my vitamin D levels tested low (15 ng/L). Also my hip had low bone density - certainly unusal in a mid 30's male. And to think I spent much of my 20's doing heavy weightlifting (think Olympic lifting, not bodybuilding). My many years of celiac-induced acid reflux with Prilosec use and lactose intolerance probably contributed to the bone density problem

I am doing a course of giant doses of vit D once a week and additional daily supplementation. I am also pulling out some weights to start using them again. I'd been spending most of my exercise time for the last few years on my bike...

You also need natural vit D so you must get some sun. If you are very fair (like me) 10 mts a day. Medium/olive complexion 15 mts & if you are dark skinned at least 20. Expose as much skin as possible. Do not get sunburned! Repeated sunburns can lead to melanoma. (I personally knew 2 people both age 48 who died of melanoma--it could so easily have been prevented) Vit D supplements are good but natural Vit D is much better & uses the bodies natural processes to absorb into the bones & other body parts. You will also need to up your calcium intake. Use calcium citrate such as CITRACAL (or generic) not calcium carbonate. The citrate absorbs better into the bones. Try to eat foods with natural calcium in it too.

Good Luck!

You also need natural vit D so you must get some sun. If you are very fair (like me) 10 mts a day. Medium/olive complexion 15 mts & if you are dark skinned at least 20. Expose as much skin as possible. Do not get sunburned! Repeated sunburns can lead to melanoma. (I personally knew 2 people both age 48 who died of melanoma--it could so easily have been prevented) Vit D supplements are good but natural Vit D is much better & uses the bodies natural processes to absorb into the bones & other body parts. You will also need to up your calcium intake. Use calcium citrate such as CITRACAL (or generic) not calcium carbonate. The citrate absorbs better into the bones. Try to eat foods with natural calcium in it too.

Good Luck!

Thanks, I will check out the Citracal. I've been a big consumer of yogurt and to a lesser extent cheese for years, so hopefully with some added vit D that will absorb better. I was really surprised by this since I usually only sunscreen my hands, face, and top of feet (when in sandals) unless I'm at the beach, figuring my legs and arms would get me some D! Well, clearly I need to spend more time outside...fortunately the weather in the Northeast is finally warmer (more or less) so that shouldn't be too hard...

Thanks, I will check out the Citracal. I've been a big consumer of yogurt and to a lesser extent cheese for years, so hopefully with some added vit D that will absorb better. I was really surprised by this since I usually only sunscreen my hands, face, and top of feet (when in sandals) unless I'm at the beach, figuring my legs and arms would get me some D! Well, clearly I need to spend more time outside...fortunately the weather in the Northeast is finally warmer (more or less) so that shouldn't be too hard...

Sun isn't a great source of D in the Northeast. The latitude is too high for the angles to be right for much of the year. Supplements or cod liver oil are more reliable. Besides, sunscreen is advised for all skin types for all exposures (not that I follow that...but...)

I've also had recurring deficient/low levels of D and notable bone loss at a weirdly young age for it. Haven't done any repeat testing, but where it's been studied, bone density tends to stabilize and/or recover within on year on a strict gluten-free diet.

No matter where you live you need sun for natural Vit D. Your body absorbs it & converts it for what needs. Supplements are a great 2nd choice but it is best to try to get the recommended amounts. Humans need the sun but many humans over do it. Just be careful & moderate.

sb2178 is right. It is difficult to get enough sun for vitamin D the closer you get to the poles, because of the angle (and weakness) of the sun, especially in fall, winter and spring. While natural is ideal the rest of us need to supplement. If you live on the equator you need a dark skin to prevent from getting too much.

I live in Australia and get plenty of sunshine yet I have struggled over the past 15 mths to get my vit d levels to just 1 point below the low range cut off (with 2000 iu). I have increased my vit d intake to 3000 iu.