WinterSong

Subway

Rate this topic

I had read a few posts about people considering having salads from Subway, so I just thought I'd share this horror story:

I work with one of my friends, and the day that I told her about going gluten free she went to Subway on her lunch break. When she came back she said, "Oh my god, NEVER go there!" She was getting a sandwich and the woman behind her wanted a salad. The guy making the sandwich was wearing gloves and of course grabbing things from different ingredient bowls. He got part of her order wrong, and when she said she didn't want that, he took it right off the bread and back in the bowl. They used the same ingredient bowls for the woman's salad. Major CC alert!!!!!

Anyway, just wanted to share. I wouldn't have thought Subway was a safe option anyway, with all that bread there, but was very sweet how concerned my friend was. :)

I always figure salad BARS and OPEN containers in restaurants/delis are just gluten-filled landmines :blink:

Glad your gluten-savvy friend saw the potential hazard. Thanks for sharing the story!

I would never eat at Subway, just too much bread. I am cautious even at New York Fries because they have hot dog buns around.

Your friend is very smart to know to watch out for you. The only way I would consider going someplace like Subway is if they started having gluten-free breads and prepped everything gluten-free at a separate station, changed gloves before hand, etc, etc. There is a place caleld Jason's Deli that I have heard does a good job at some locations (they have a separate station of toppings and change gloves). But I have not eaten there because I have similar concerns to your friend's Subway story. I hope someday in the future there will be gluten-free breads good enough that someone can open an entirely gluten-free sandwich shop and the general public won't know the difference. I can dream right? ;)

I hope someday in the future there will be gluten-free breads good enough that someone can open an entirely gluten-free sandwich shop and the general public won't know the difference. I can dream right? ;)

By any chance...do you live in NYS?

There IS a totally gluten-free restaurant, bakery, deli here in Latham, NY called Sherry Lynn's. TOTALLY. GLUTEN FREE.

The first time I ate there, I started to cry because I knew I would be safe. Apparently, I am not the only one to shed tears ...happens frequently, the owner tells me.. :lol:

Like you, I dream of a world were we can go into any place and not fear the CC! :)

By any chance...do you live in NYS?

There IS a totally gluten-free restaurant, bakery, deli here in Latham, NY called Sherry Lynn's. TOTALLY. GLUTEN FREE.

The first time I ate there, I started to cry because I knew I would be safe. Apparently, I am not the only one to shed tears ...happens frequently, the owner tells me.. :lol:

Like you, I dream of a world were we can go into any place and not fear the CC! :)

No, I live in VA. If I'm ever traveling in that area, However I will look it up! Sounds amazing! I have a few bakeries around me that make "gluten-free" baked goods but they are made in the same pans and with the same equipment in the same space as their gluten breads and cakes, etc. I really wonder why they bother to offer these options that are not really gluten-free. :angry:

No, I live in VA. If I'm ever traveling in that area, However I will look it up! Sounds amazing! I have a few bakeries around me that make "gluten-free" baked goods but they are made in the same pans and with the same equipment in the same space as their gluten breads and cakes, etc. I really wonder why they bother to offer these options that are not really gluten-free. :angry:

Ooooo I hate that, too. I can across one of those, and they said that wheat flour accidentally gets mixed into the gluten-free batter sometimes. It's absurd that they call it gluten free. They're going to make people sick. :angry:

Ooooo I hate that, too. I can across one of those, and they said that wheat flour accidentally gets mixed into the gluten-free batter sometimes. It's absurd that they call it gluten free. They're going to make people sick. :angry:

I know. At least they were honest when I asked and told me they don't remcommend I eat there if I have a "serious gluten allergy" (I mean, really the fact that they used the word allergy in relation to gluten tells me they know nothing) BUT I shudder to think how many people didn't ask and just trusted that something that says gluten-free was safe. :blink:

I know. At least they were honest when I asked and told me they don't remcommend I eat there if I have a "serious gluten allergy" (I mean, really the fact that they used the word allergy in relation to gluten tells me they know nothing) BUT I shudder to think how many people didn't ask and just trusted that something that says gluten-free was safe. :blink:

Yeah, there were plenty of people on yelp who said that their gluten free desserts were great. Just one of those bakeries that is doing it to take advantage of the fad diet.

I agree!! That is the problem! People do not understand CC issues very well at all. :unsure::angry:

I know the owner, Sherry Lynn--and she is also a celiac ---and every single one of her employees understands the hazards of CC. No one can bring anything into the place --customers or delivery people either--no food or containers and every single thing in there is used solely for gluten free cooking/baking/frying. It's a "safe haven" for us.

It is also why I have gained weight.... :lol:

We have a deli/bakery close to us that is totally gluten-free. When I first walked in, I saw a bright light and heard angels singing! Lol :D