BFreeman

My Usual Pancake Batter

Rate this topic

I have made hundreds of gluten-free pancakes, with the same recipe, in the last five years; they are a staple at home. The last two times I attempted to make them, the batter was really thick, and I couldn't get enough milk in it to make the right consistency. The last time I finally stuck the bowl under the tap until the batter could be spread around, and made one pancake. It wrinkled into accordion pleats in the skillet when I tried to turn it over, and when I took it out, I could literally stretch it between my hands. It's the exact same ingredients I have always used--Bob's Red Mill brown rice flour and tapioca starch, flaxseed, sugar, baking powder, salt, egg, oil, milk, and either banana or pumpkin, but the batter is like someone put half a jar of xanthan gum in it. I cannot imagine what the problem is. Does anyone have any ideas?

Did you by any chance change the brand of tapioca flour you were using? I have found that not all tapioca flour/starch is the same. I have a pizza crust recipe I make with tapioca flour. When I use tapioca from the Asian store it's like mixing concrete it's so thick. When I use EnerG tapioca it's much better--still think however it's mixable. I would say based on your recipe if you have to change something maybe try less tapioca flour or leave it out completely. Tapioca seems to make things strecthy and sticky but with the Xanthan in your recipe you shouldn't need the tapioca. Also with my tapioca recipes if I let it sit too long before getting it out of the bowl it gets more sticky. Pour those pancakes ASAP!

ETA--Oops misread your recipe. It doesn't have xanthan. I still say cut back on the tapioca though. The egg and the flax should hold it together well enough.