This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Was My Biopsy Incorrect?

smiley33

smiley33 Newbie

Hi there, can anyone tell me if my biopsy was done correctly? It came back negative but from what I've been reading I may not have been told to prepare for it correctly. I have a significant wheat allergy and haven't eat much gluten conaining foods for years since I am wheat-free. After still having some health issues that would point towards celiac disease my gastro did a biopsy which came back negative. She told me for two weeks prior to the test to eat a couple of pieces 100% rye bread (since I can't have wheat) each day which I did. I am now wondering if that was enough gluten for an accurate test as a lot of literature out there seems to point to 6 weeks on a gluten product prior to the test. And is the rye bread enough gluten to produce an accurate test? I just want to know that the test was accurate.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

You know, most if not all rye breads have wheat flour, too?

But still probably not enough for the tests.

smiley33 Newbie

You know, most if not all rye breads have wheat flour, too?

But still probably not enough for the tests.

It was homemade bread :)

Jenniferxgfx Contributor

I don't think that's nearly enough gluten for an accurate biopsy.

Do you need a biopsy if you already know there's an allergy?

IrishHeart Veteran

I don't think that's nearly enough gluten for an accurate biopsy.

Do you need a biopsy if you already know there's an allergy?

Celiac is NOT an allergy,hon. There's no such thing as a gluten allergy. She has a wheat allergy, but that's not why a biopsy is done.

A biopsy diagnoses celiac from the damage done to the villi in the small intestine from gluten.

There are several differences between a wheat allergy and gluten intolerance and celiac.

In view of the fact that you have been abstaining from wheat, I think you may have needed to be ingesting a lot more gluten than that for an accurate test result.

kareng Grand Master

Celiac is NOT an allergy,hon. There's no such thing as a gluten allergy. She has a wheat allergy, but that's not why a biopsy is done.

A biopsy diagnoses celiac from the damage done to the villi in the small intestine from gluten.

There are several differences between a wheat allergy and gluten intolerance and celiac.

I think you needed to be ingesting a lot more gluten than that for an accurate test result.

I think the point was, if you know you have a wheat allergy (which the poster has) why bother? It's not that hard to eleminate barley & rye once you have eliminated wheat.

love2travel Mentor

I was told to eat the equivalent of 4 pieces of bread each day for 3 months prior to my biopsies so I am afraid your 2 weeks may not have been long enough. Do you know how many biopsies were taken? It may be that only a few were which is not enough. Sometimes doctors are not the sharpest knives in the drawer! :angry:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

I think the point was, if you know you have a wheat allergy (which the poster has) why bother? It's not that hard to eleminate barley & rye once you have eliminated wheat.

Very true...and maybe I "over explained"..in which case, my apologies to JENNIFER. So sorry.

However, the poster suspects celiac in addition to the wheat allergy...and so, why she is bothering (I imagine)is to NOT eliminate the other gluten grains if she doesn't have to..I guess? I dunno..maybe the poster can tell us.

IrishHeart Veteran

. Sometimes doctors are not the sharpest knives in the drawer! :angry:

I agree. Another opinion from another doctor may be necessary?

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Hi there, can anyone tell me if my biopsy was done correctly? It came back negative but from what I've been reading I may not have been told to prepare for it correctly. I have a significant wheat allergy and haven't eat much gluten conaining foods for years since I am wheat-free. After still having some health issues that would point towards celiac disease my gastro did a biopsy which came back negative. She told me for two weeks prior to the test to eat a couple of pieces 100% rye bread (since I can't have wheat) each day which I did. I am now wondering if that was enough gluten for an accurate test as a lot of literature out there seems to point to 6 weeks on a gluten product prior to the test. And is the rye bread enough gluten to produce an accurate test? I just want to know that the test was accurate.

It's very likely the test was not accurate because you did not eat enough gltuen for long enough time. It is possible to have both celiac AND a wheat allergy. It is also possible for you to have non-celiac gluten intolerance which cannot be tested for via biopsy. I have both except that mine was discovered in reverse. I did an elimination diet and when I tried wheat and barley separately I knew I had a problem with both (based on my symptoms). I never tried rye because I never found a rye bread that didn't contain wheat. I was diagnosed via dietary response as either gluten intolerant or celiac. Then this year I had allergy testing done and found out I also have a wheat allergy. The other grains were negative for allergy. I have since reacted to malt (from barley) and to cc'd oats so I consider myself celiac or NCGI. Anyway, when you were eating this homemade rye bread did you experience any symptoms? If you did then you may just have your answer.

Jenniferxgfx Contributor

Yes, my point was if the OP is already abstaining from wheat due to allergy, is the gluten testing necessary before giving it up.

IrishHeart Veteran

The testing is necessary for a celiac DX, she has been told. So, in ADDITION to the wheat allergy, she wanted confirmation. She could very well be only allergic to wheat and not have a GLUTEN issue--which is why she eats rye. or she could have both. So the testing would be a good idea.

The wheat allergy is a separate issue, as GlutenfreeManna has explained. That's all I was trying to say. :)

Archived