This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Odd Benefits Of Going Gluten Free

Cattknap

love2travel Mentor

I confess I have used the chronic pain and inability to sit for long periods (i.e.long car rides) excuse (which is valid, of course--it is a b--ch ;) more than the celiac as an "out", but either way...LOL LOL

When I am not so "ouchy" (pray to God!), then the food issue will be the "back-up" dodge .... :lol: :lol: :lol:

are we "bad"??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually, it is true for me as well. When I was typing I was thinking back pain but typed celiac. Am I having a foggy morning or what? ;) My back, etc. pain is far worse to travel with than celiac. To travel to my in laws would require my getting up to stretch about 16 times (4-hour journey) or lie down in the vehicle.

I think we are sort of bad in a sneaky way!! :D I usually do not "use" my health issues but the odd time I admit that I do. Usually the pain excuse is 100% real and true and does prevent me from attending many things. It is not pleasant to stand at meetings like I had to the other night. When I pushed my chair from the table to stand up everyone looked at me expectantly, as though I were going to address the crowd! Likely they were disappointed (or relieved!) when I just stood there without saying a word. :lol: Same in church. I sit for the first bit but then must get up and walk around in the back. Oh, and even when I go to doctor and other appointments I usually end up standing (except for massage, of course! :P ). One of the trickiest standing situations is at restaurants. Sometimes I have actually had to stand up to eat. Not cool, especially at high-end dining places, but it is something I must do.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IrishHeart Veteran

Actually, it is true for me as well. When I was typing I was thinking back pain but typed celiac. Am I having a foggy morning or what? ;) My back, etc. pain is far worse to travel with than celiac. To travel to my in laws would require my getting up to stretch about 16 times (4-hour journey) or lie down in the vehicle.

I think we are sort of bad in a sneaky way!! :D I usually do not "use" my health issues but the odd time I admit that I do. Usually the pain excuse is 100% real and true and does prevent me from attending many things. It is not pleasant to stand at meetings like I had to the other night. When I pushed my chair from the table to stand up everyone looked at me expectantly, as though I were going to address the crowd! Likely they were disappointed (or relieved!) when I just stood there without saying a word. :lol: Same in church. I sit for the first bit but then must get up and walk around in the back. Oh, and even when I go to doctor and other appointments I usually end up standing (except for massage, of course! :P ). One of the trickiest standing situations is at restaurants. Sometimes I have actually had to stand up to eat. Not cool, especially at high-end dining places, but it is something I must do.

Ditto!! I stand and move all the time...although I can sit for slightly longer periods now since PT/no gluten is helping the inflammation, I think :unsure: (I remain hopeful!!)...but, good Lord, we ARE a pair!! ;) Hang in there, hon!!

love2travel Mentor

Ditto!! I stand and move all the time...although I can sit for slightly longer periods now since PT/no gluten is helping the inflammation, I think :unsure: (I remain hopeful!!)...but, good Lord, we ARE a pair!! ;) Hang in there, hon!!

Thanks! I am dealing/coping/managing (with) it far better mentally than I was. I no longer avoid things because of fear. I go ahead and do things and if I have to stand, I stand.

It is so cool that your pain has improved going gluten-free! Hopefully that will be an unexpected benefit for me, too.

YoloGx Rookie

I do take a Vitamin B complex as well as B12 sublingual and eat TONS of garlic - probably more garlic than anyone I know!! Maybe the mosquitoes (HUGE here in Canada) just like my adipose tissue! :lol:

I find I have to take the co-enzyme b complex (from country life) to be much more absorpable and effective for all kinds of things. Might be worth a try for you too?

love2travel Mentor

I find I have to take the co-enzyme b complex (from country life) to be much more absorpable and effective for all kinds of things. Might be worth a try for you too?

Good suggestion. Wonder if we get Country Life in Canada? Will check it out.

IrishHeart Veteran

Thanks! I am dealing/coping/managing (with) it far better mentally than I was. I no longer avoid things because of fear. I go ahead and do things and if I have to stand, I stand.

It is so cool that your pain has improved going gluten-free! Hopefully that will be an unexpected benefit for me, too.

It is minimal improvement, but improvement nonetheless and I'll TAKE it! :) -- on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being "I'd rather be dead than live like this", I'm about a 7. I work with a PT, an MT,a chiro and a sports med. doctor. :blink: I hope you will see some improvement as well. I know we both tried the same therapeutic measures for 3 years...but everyone agrees with me (NOW--it took me a while to convince them SOMETHING was creating the problem) that the inflammation from the gluten was the major factor getting in the way and affecting the muscles/joints/bones...time will tell!! You just keep doing what you're doing, brave girl!! ;) We'll get there. Fingers crossed.

One more odd benefit of gluten-free---

I no longer have seasonal allergies!!! B)

They developed in me suddenly about 8 years ago--and now, they are GONE! Allergist is stumped. Not me-I know it was the bad boy gluten. :lol:

Very cool!!

IrishHeart Veteran

I looked at those, Bea, but they have soy lecithin in them...bummer...why do they have to put that stuff in everything?? :angry: the only ones I found w/out it is NOW.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Harpgirl Explorer

Hey, for those who are still getting bitten by mosquitos, try carrying an unused dryer sheet in your pocket. I find that helps a bit and it smells nice :D

love2travel Mentor

It is minimal improvement, but improvement nonetheless and I'll TAKE it! :) -- on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being "I'd rather be dead than live like this", I'm about a 7. I work with a PT, an MT,a chiro and a sports med. doctor. :blink: I hope you will see some improvement as well. I know we both tried the same therapeutic measures for 3 years...but everyone agrees with me (NOW--it took me a while to convince them SOMETHING was creating the problem) that the inflammation from the gluten was the major factor getting in the way and affecting the muscles/joints/bones...time will tell!! You just keep doing what you're doing, brave girl!! ;) We'll get there. Fingers crossed.

One more odd benefit of gluten-free---

I no longer have seasonal allergies!!! B)

They developed in me suddenly about 8 years ago--and now, they are GONE! Allergist is stumped. Not me-I know it was the bad boy gluten. :lol:

Very cool!!

Thanks for the encouragement as always, Irish! I simply cannot wait to have some of this inflammation disappear. I will run and leap and jump and climb (well, out of public view).

I love that your seasonal allergies have disappeared. Isn't it insane what stupid dumb gluten can do to a body? Wow. It does not cease to amaze me. My seasonal allergies were pretty bad this spring but it was unusually dry, too. As soon as we got to Croatia - poof! Allergies gone. Then when we returned to Canada, they got back literally the next day. Perhaps by fall I will notice a difference...there is always hope! :D

IrishHeart Veteran

Thanks for the encouragement as always, Irish! I simply cannot wait to have some of this inflammation disappear. I will run and leap and jump and climb (well, out of public view).

I love that your seasonal allergies have disappeared. Isn't it insane what stupid dumb gluten can do to a body? Wow. It does not cease to amaze me. My seasonal allergies were pretty bad this spring but it was unusually dry, too. As soon as we got to Croatia - poof! Allergies gone. Then when we returned to Canada, they got back literally the next day. Perhaps by fall I will notice a difference...there is always hope! :D

Of course there is hope, hon!! :) Without hope, I would have jumped off a bridge by now. :rolleyes:

I danced for a full five minutes the other day to LOUD music before my legs tired . :) (I was a dancer and could barely walk the length of my driveway 3 years ago without crying) I did 10 minutes of gentle yoga yesterday (there was no way I could bend my arms and legs just 8 months ago). I had to stop swimming and going to the gym when I was so crippled with pain. But now, these are little victories. The therapy is the same, the absence of GLUTEN and the muscles strengthening are BENEFITS of going gluten-free!! Healing takes place in all the body systems. Look at Sara (POPPI) and her triumph! It will happen for you, too!!

If I had not experienced the dozens and dozens of symptoms and complete body breakdown for myself, I would have a hard time believing what it can do. Once I read how almost of them are caused by vitamin/mineral deficiencies, it made sense. (good book--Recognizing Celiac Disease by Cleo Libonati, RN) Every affected body system, various conditions, and associated disorders and complications-- explained in detail. Utterly fascinating. From burning tongue to ridges in your nails to miscarriages to bone pain--all explained. I highly recommend this book. (no, I do not know her or work for the publishing house, honest! :lol:

Hey guys! just a silly thing I have done--for motivation , I guess...

I made a list of all my symptoms--even the ODD or seemingly minor ones --and put it on the fridge and I check them off as they subside/disappear. Very encouraging. :) :) :)

YoloGx Rookie

Congrats Irish Heart on being able to check things off on your list--I have an idea of how much you have struggled. Dancing now even if just a little when you could hardly walk before, that is something to celebrate!

I just thought of another thing I am thankful for; my space outs are far less than they were in the past. I described them to my boyfriend who says, oh that was ADD. Sheesh! I didn't know.

But I do know now its great to not forget things all the time and have to constantly retrace my steps like I used to. I don't do spoonerisms anymore either and overall I can remember the right word now (though not always). Overall my brain just feels so much smoother, sans these forgetful spots as well as sans migraines etc.

YoloGx Rookie

I looked at those, Bea, but they have soy lecithin in them...bummer...why do they have to put that stuff in everything?? :angry: the only ones I found w/out it is NOW.

Sorry the country life ones don't work for you Irish. I shouldn't have soy either, however I don't think its as bad a problem for me, but then you never know... I'll have to look at the Now ones--actually didn't know they had any co-enzyme b's so am glad to hear of it. Or is that the case?? I do hate it that most other co-enzyme b's have sorbitol in them--which is far worse for me than soy.

Lori2 Contributor

But I do know now its great to not forget things all the time and have to constantly retrace my steps like I used to. I don't do spoonerisms anymore either and overall I can remember the right word now (though not always). Overall my brain just feels so much smoother, sans these forgetful spots as well as sans migraines etc.

I can remember saying to myself, "I feel like I've just had a vocabulary infusion".

IrishHeart Veteran

I'll have to look at the Now ones--actually didn't know they had any co-enzyme b's so am glad to hear of it. Or is that the case?? I do hate it that most other co-enzyme b's have sorbitol in them--which is far worse for me than soy.

I just checked..no soy or sorbitol on the label. :)

heatherjane Contributor

Two weird but nice effects of 2+ years of gluten free for me:

1) no more gingivitis

2) I have more "junk in the trunk"...no more saggy jeans :lol:

Korwyn Explorer

I noticed the same thing, but after some experimentation for me it turned out to be more a removal of all starches and sugars that was the real cause. If I go on a carb binge for even a day I become a mosquito all you can eat buffet.

I have also noticed thought that when I do get bitten by spiders, fleas, or mosquitos, I don't have anywhere near the reaction I used to. I used to be unable to control the itching to the point where I have little scars all over my body from bug bites. Now (unless I'm under the influence of glucose) I barely notice them!

IrishHeart Veteran

Two weird but nice effects of 2+ years of gluten free for me:

1) no more gingivitis

2) I have more "junk in the trunk"...no more saggy jeans :lol:

awesome!!--as my once ample butt wasted away when I got sick...and I miss it! and I have dental issues I never had before either... :angry:

These are really encouraging posts, you guys! Keep 'em coming!! :)

color-me-confused Explorer

Funny, I'm getting bit more from mosquitoes! Normally they just, nibble, and fly away. I've got 2 bites so far this spring, which is 2 more than normal...

Another plus: I swear my prematurely gray hair is picking up some color @ the temples. Might be a while before I can decide if it's a real trend or not.

notme Experienced

I dodged a lunch outing I didn't want to go to. :D

hahahaha!!! :D

notme Experienced

Hey, for those who are still getting bitten by mosquitos, try carrying an unused dryer sheet in your pocket. I find that helps a bit and it smells nice :D

we do that when we go camping: chuck a couple of dryer sheets into the tent. seems to work well. except now i get sleepy in the laundry soap aisle LOL ;)

we went camping over memorial day weekend and EVERYBODY found a tick on them at one point or another except me! and i didn't get one single bug bite of any kind!! woohooo! thanx for bringing this up. nice to look at the 'good' side (b/c everybody glutened the krap out of me all weekend - lesson LEARNED!!! byogff and keep it under lock and key!!!)

Harpgirl Explorer

we do that when we go camping: chuck a couple of dryer sheets into the tent. seems to work well. except now i get sleepy in the laundry soap aisle LOL ;)

we went camping over memorial day weekend and EVERYBODY found a tick on them at one point or another except me! and i didn't get one single bug bite of any kind!! woohooo! thanx for bringing this up. nice to look at the 'good' side (b/c everybody glutened the krap out of me all weekend - lesson LEARNED!!! byogff and keep it under lock and key!!!)

:lol: Thanks for the tip!

I'm rediscovering fresh fruits all over again. Ones that I normally wouldn't bother with because it was too much trouble to cut up and store. And they would go bad before I got around to eating them. I didn't realize how much processed foods I was eating! :blink: I just cut up a watermelon today for the first time in years. I was soooo good! Juicy and sweet! :D But I actually remember it being sweeter when I was a kid. Maybe it's because this one is seedless. The seedless ones are all I can seem to find around here. <_< The cantelopes though... Mmmmmm! :P

wheeleezdryver Community Regular

for years, every spring (when the days get longer, and all of a sudden our skin is getting more sun exposure) I would get a rash of red bumps all over my hands and arms. They were never itchy or painful, or anything like that. I went gluten- free last August-- this spring I still had a few bumps show up, but NOTHING compared to what it was like in years past.

and, it seems, when I have gotten glutened recently, the bumps seem to look worse then the day before.

Poppi Enthusiast

Healing takes place in all the body systems. Look at Sara (POPPI) and her triumph! It will happen for you, too!!

You're so sweet. :D

I'm not sure if we are allowed to talk about this here but one of the nice benefits of having more energy is that I'm not too tired for sexytime any more.

Of course I glutened myself on Father's Day helping my son with a s'more (this was the last day of gluten in the house, we went 100% gluten free on Monday - go figure) so I'm a mess right now but it's been nice having the energy to devote to that important part of our relationship.

mommida Enthusiast

Sara you can still have s'mores but make them with gluten free chocolate chip cookies!

YUM, YUM, YUM, even better!

IrishHeart Veteran

I'm not sure if we are allowed to talk about this here but one of the nice benefits of having more energy is that I'm not too tired for sexytime any more.

Well, we talk about poop, hemorrhoids, vomit :lol: ...why not about something as wonderful as sex???!! :lol:

To be even more frank, both men and women can have "intimacy issues" associated with celiac--(it affects every body system and delicate tissues, hormone levels , etc.) and some people have severe pelvic pain as a result of celiac as well--so, if they also disappear after going gluten-free-- then people can resume that part of their lives as well. :)

And BTW, I must have missed this development somehow--CONGRATS on a 100% gluten-free house! I am happy for all of you!! :)

Archived