This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Having A Celiac Break Down

valeriek

valeriek Apprentice

I am not out for sympathy first of all. I am having a break down. I cant do this any longer. I made a gluten-free strawberry short cake and was crap. I eat 1 meal a day. And dinner is either pork chop, salmon, or hamburger patty. I want real food.

AND WHAT I DONT GET IS THE DR SAID I HAD THE WORST CASE HE HAD EVER SEEN 2 YEARS AGO. I DONT FEEL ANY BETTER!!!!

What would happen if i just said screw it and ate what i wanted? My husband has no sympathy for me at all. My friends and family dont get it so they just say eat what I want.

My mom was finish and always had something wrong with her stomach. She was never diagnosed. Now she has passed away.

Please give me ideas someone about what the worst that could happen if I ate normal . I have dreams of eating gluten all the time.

Help I cant cope any more.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Valerie,

Are there other things you can't eat besides gluten? If not, there are lots of things to eat.

Even before I had to be gluten-free, sometimes a new recipe would turnout like crap. Usually my hub was too polite to say that, but he would say, "Let's not have this again" or " MAybe if you used less ----- or more -----".

We had a new dessert tonight for Father's Day. My teen boys said it was one of the best desserts ever. My 18 year old said, " it's like the perfect candy bar!" I am going tom post it tomorrow. This is just to show you there are yummy things.

Look at the " What's for dinner thread?". You can see that people are eating all kinds of good stuff. Some of those people have a lot of other food intolerances.

If you have been at this awhile, maybe just start over. Just eat some simple meat, fruit, veggies, rice, beans, etc.

You can do this.

lizard00 Enthusiast

We need to get together. I remember you from 2 years ago and I remember that you live close by.

Seriously.

Liz

love2travel Mentor

I am not out for sympathy first of all. I am having a break down. I cant do this any longer. I made a gluten-free strawberry short cake and was crap. I eat 1 meal a day. And dinner is either pork chop, salmon, or hamburger patty. I want real food.

AND WHAT I DONT GET IS THE DR SAID I HAD THE WORST CASE HE HAD EVER SEEN 2 YEARS AGO. I DONT FEEL ANY BETTER!!!!

What would happen if i just said screw it and ate what i wanted? My husband has no sympathy for me at all. My friends and family dont get it so they just say eat what I want.

My mom was finish and always had something wrong with her stomach. She was never diagnosed. Now she has passed away.

Please give me ideas someone about what the worst that could happen if I ate normal . I have dreams of eating gluten all the time.

You MUST do this for your sake - for your future. I do not know why you are not feeling better yet - perhaps it is another food intolerance? There are others on this forum who are more experienced with that than I. Are you taking supplements such as sublingual B12, B complex, D3 liquid gels, etc? They can help you absorb better so you feel better.

It must seem impossible without any real support. I cannot fathom how anguished you must feel. Is there any way you can take your husband to see your doctor or someone who will help him understand the seriousness of this? My heart feels sick for you. I wish you had the support you sorely need. Is there anyone like a pastor or counsellor you could talk to?

If you went back to eating gluten you could certainly shorten your life. I recently attended a talk by a leading celiac expert in Canada (gastroenterologist) who said that those undiagnosed (or eating gluten) have four times the mortality rate of others. That is huge. And one more word. CANCER. That is a big deterrant.

Please take it just one day at a time. Or even one meal at a time. For meal ideas look on the what's for dinner thread under the cooking/baking section. There are lots of absolutely tasty things you can make. I teach gluten-free cooking/baking classes so would be happy to help if I can. Many things are naturally gluten-free already. Meals and food can still be fun and very interesting. There are some pretty neat flours and such out there with which to experiment. If you need inspiration I can recommend some cookbooks - I have over 500.

You must hang in there. It can be done - it truly can. It is not easy, I admit it. Do you have anything you love to do to distract you? Maybe a lighthearted book or gardening or going for a walk? You must get your focus off this for a bit and do something else. You can and MUST do this!!! :)

RL2011 Rookie

Valerie,

First of all remember that you must find something to keep your mind focused on staying strong mentally. Do not dwell on any ignorant or negative feedback from either your husband, family or your friends. Do not let anyone dictate how you feel. It is hard enough dealing with the emotional issues resulting from celiac disease alone.

If you are gluten intolerant do not eat normal for any other ignorant person. The old adage, "ignorance is bliss" has another side... and it is "knowledge is a burden".

I will not apologize for coming down hard on your husband and if he has a problem with that then tell him to fight me not you.

Train your mind to be strong for yourself, for your kids, then work on training your husband and family.

Good luck!

domesticactivist Collaborator

I think you might feel better if you ate more than one meal a day. What are the reasons you only eat one meal?

When you say you want real food, what kind of things are you missing?

You say you haven't improved in 2 years, and that the dr said you were very bad off 2 years ago. You also mention your family is unsupportive. That brought a few thoughts to mind:

- Is your home gluten-free? If not, this could be a big part of your problem.

- Have you had your blood work redone? If not, you might want to do that. If so, what were the results?

- Have you considered trying a healing diet like GAPS or SCD? It could be that the damage your gut has from gluten in the past hasn't had a chance to heal, and other foods are causing you problems in the meantime.

GFinDC Veteran

Well, there was a poster a while back who went off the diet. She ended up going to the ER one night and they had to cut 2 feet of her intestine out and put her on a colostomy bag. She wasn't real happy about all that.

read post #37 by BackTalk in this thread.

Posted 21 March 2010 - 01:58 PM

Falling Off The Gluten-Free Wagon - Celiac.com

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Diane-in-FL Explorer

I feel so bad for you (and others on here) whose husbands and family are not supportive. It makes this journey a whole lot harder than it needs to be. I've read that for those who have really bad damage like you do, that the healing process can take 2 or 3 years. The other posters have given excellent advice on what to eat. I really hope things get better for you soon. :)

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Why do you only eat one meal a day? Do you have other intolrances or allergies besides gluten? You said you didn't want sympathy so if you don't have any additional restriction except gluten you get NO sympathy from me for eating that way. If you DO have additional intolerance there are many on this board that have been there done that. I have multiple food restrictions (see my signature) and I still eat what I consider "real food" everyday. I can make lots of suggestions for food choices besides what you listed but I will wait until I hear whether you have other restrictions.

Have you had your testing redone to see if you are still getting gluten? If you are really only eating fish, meat or chicken everyday then that may be why you don't feel better. There are also so many other factors that could contribute to "not feeling better".

Are you taking multivitamins?

Is your house gluten-free?

Did you get new toaster, cookware, cutting boards, strainers, etc for dedicated gluten-free cooking?

Do you have a hobby or work in a job that could be contributing? (Bakery, pizza place, construction, art supplies, preschool teacher, etc)

Have you checked personal care items and other non-food items like soap?

Could you have an additional intolerance? Dairy and soy seem to be most common.

Lets see.....

You could end up on the bathroom floor bleeding out the butt.

You could just be extremely sick and tired all the time until you catch somethign else due to the weakened immune system that lands you in the hospital or kills you. I got brochitis that turned into pneumonia and sent me to the hospital once after being glutened with a large amount.

You could start having worse symtpoms than what you currently have. I don't know what your current ones are but I had unexplained seizures as one of my symptoms. I was not able to drive or work because of them.

You could develop other autoimmune diseases such as RA, Lupus, Hashimotos...

You could could feel great again for a few months or years eating whatever you want until you develop intestinal cancer....

valeriek Apprentice

I think you might feel better if you ate more than one meal a day. What are the reasons you only eat one meal?

When you say you want real food, what kind of things are you missing?

You say you haven't improved in 2 years, and that the dr said you were very bad off 2 years ago. You also mention your family is unsupportive. That brought a few thoughts to mind:

- Is your home gluten-free? If not, this could be a big part of your problem.

- Have you had your blood work redone? If not, you might want to do that. If so, what were the results?

- Have you considered trying a healing diet like GAPS or SCD? It could be that the damage your gut has from gluten in the past hasn't had a chance to heal, and other foods are causing you problems in the meantime.

Hey there.

I had a biopsy and blood work done. What I meant was I didnt even know I this till vit. d was low. I dont feel any different is what I meant to say. Never runny poops, never any thing weird except naus. sometimes. Every thing in my house id gluten-free except my sons stuff. What healing diets are talking about? I want to do that. Do they really work? I only eat 1 meal because im tired of eating the same thing over and over.

kareng Grand Master

Hey there.

I had a biopsy and blood work done. What I meant was I didnt even know I this till vit. d was low. I dont feel any different is what I meant to say. Never runny poops, never any thing weird except naus. sometimes. Every thing in my house id gluten-free except my sons stuff. What healing diets are talking about? I want to do that. Do they really work? I only eat 1 meal because im tired of eating the same thing over and over.

But why don't you eat other things? There are lots of things to eat that are gluten free. Vegetables, fruit, beans, pasta sauce, rice, quinoa, Chex cereals, cheese, salsa, corn torillas, potatoes, chicken, beef, fish, salads, etc. LOok on the What's for dinner thread & see all the things people are eating.

Eating 1 limited meal a day will make you malnourished & you will feel bad.

valeriek Apprentice

Thanks every one.

Ok why I only eat 1 meal a day??? I am tired of eating the same crap. I want to go make a grilled cheese like normal people. When I said I dont feel any better I meant I dont feel any different. Nothing was wrong with me before. I would get occasional naus. But that is it. No symptoms. I had a endoscopy twice and blood work. I got it.

I weigh 107. I want to be back at 115. But im only 5'4. I have a tiny boned family. Finish genes I guess.

So here is what I eat per day.....

Dinner around 10 or 11 pm..---salmon and rice, or pork chop and can of pintos, or meat patty and can of baked beans. That is my rotation.

Then I eat a bowl of chex, doritos, candy bars and or chips with dip.

I do take nightly walks late.

ok so I am ready for help that I can really live with.

Thanks so much every one for understanding.

kareng Grand Master

Thanks every one.

Ok why I only eat 1 meal a day??? I am tired of eating the same crap. I want to go make a grilled cheese like normal people. When I said I dont feel any better I meant I dont feel any different. Nothing was wrong with me before. I would get occasional naus. But that is it. No symptoms. I had a endoscopy twice and blood work. I got it.

I weigh 107. I want to be back at 115. But im only 5'4. I have a tiny boned family. Finish genes I guess.

Dinner around 10 or 11 pm..---salmon and rice, or pork chop and can of pintos, or meat patty and can of baked beans. That is my rotation.

I still don't know why that is the only things you think you can eat? Look on the dinner thread like I suggested.

Here's what I ate yesterday:

gluten-free Rice Krispies

Left-over rice, corn, cheese, mild pepper casserole with added fresh tomatoes

Kettle corn

Dinner (whole family ate this):

Red potatoes cut into little pieces, tossed with olive oil & cooked on the grill wrapped in foil

Pork Chops cooked on grill - marinated in gluten-free worchestshire sauce, garlic & pepper

Salad - spinach, carrot, red pepper, feta with salad dressing

Cookie/candy bar cookie thingy

love2travel Mentor

Can you have potatoes and dairy? If so, roast some garlic, puree it and put in mashed potatoes that include butter and cream (since you would like to gain a bit of weight!). Or simply roast potatoes that have been cut into chunks (or use new baby potatoes) with some fresh herbs and olive oil. You can make oven fries with potatoes or sweet potatoes and perhaps even a dip. Do you like hummus? Very easy to make. Today I am making a black garlic roasted red pepper dip for my falafel chips. Do you enjoy risotto? Tons of recipes for that including roasted butternut squash, fresh herbs, mushrooms, asparagus...I could go on and on but that could get tedious.

How about pork? Briefly sear a tenderloin or loin (you can brine in advance for added flavour - super simple to do), stick it in the oven and glaze with some tart jelly or reduced wine, etc. You can make yummy mushroom sauces for meat. Maybe some BBQ ribs? Very easy. Roast at low heat (300-325) for a few hours and slather with sauce. Maybe try pulled pork. Or how about grilling? If you have access to a grill you can grill tons of veg, mushrooms, skewers of veg or meat, fish, or even cheese. Halloumi or Provolone cheeses do not melt when directly grilled.

If you eat chicken perhaps try a stir fry or two with thick buckwheat noodles (ensuring they are gluten-free). Or you could easily slather on or stuff with pesto (very easy to make) or a sauce. :PFor something fun, try fish or chicken (or shrimp or scallops) en papillote. All that is taking a piece of parchment paper, throwing in some protein and veg and herbs, drizzle with a bit of citrus and/or oil and bake in oven). Or make rubs for meat, dry or wet, and roast or broil.

Like seafood? How about a jambalaya? Or seafood risotto? Or simply skewer on rosemary and brush with garlic oil or a sauce. You can quickly sear scallops and have them simply dressed with some reduced balsamic vinegar and serve with a pea or carrot (or whatever!) puree.

Do you like lamb? Grilled lamb chops that have been marinated in a simple rub of garlic, olive oil, fresh rosemary and thyme are delicious. Or if you do not have a grill, simply sear in cast iron pan and continue roasting in the oven. You can make an ultra fast mint sauce for lamb. Or maybe make lamb stew or lamb skewers you can readily wrap in bibb lettuce leaves and perhaps a yogurt mint sauce drizzled on top.

Fruit? Fresh strawberries with black pepper and balsamic. Or watermelon with feta, mint and balsamic. You can grill/roast pears, pineapple, etc. Or make a fruit salad with poppyseed dressing or poach.

Eggs? How about frittata? Scrambled with bacon and chives? Poached? Pasta - there are hundreds of lovely sauces including tomato, carbonara, alfredo, pesto...

gluten-free cookies, brownies and cakes are super easy and taste very good (yeast products are trickier).

I just thought of these things rather quickly but if you want menu ideas and suggestions let me know. That is what I do!!

love2travel Mentor

Another thing I recommend is get inspired to cook! Go to your local grocery store or fresh market and look for things you have not cooked with before such as jicama, lemongrass, salsify - any interesting ingredient. Then research it and plan a meal around it.

Didn't even touch on ethnic dishes yet. That is another topic but you can have tons of Thai, Japanese, Chinese, French, Spanish, Middle Eastern, Indian, Mexican, Greek, Italian...dishes. TONS.

Thanks every one.

Do you have a night job or something that you eat so late at night? So it sounds like your real issue is that you need to get more variety in your food. Check out the thread that Kareng posted. Also since you don't have any other food intolerances there is no reason why you can't have a grilled cheese sandwhich. Just make it on gluten-free bread. Udi's and Rudi's brands both make great grilled cheese (or so I hear I can't eat cheese but I do eat those breads toasted and their good).

Doritos are not gluten-free AFAIK. If you are still eating gluten you are more liekly to be emotional about this longer and more liekly to crave gluteny foods. Everything else you listed sounds okay--except maybe candy bars that depends on the type and there are not many you can trust to be gluten-free. Why don't you eat any vegetables or fruit? It sounds like you like convience foods that are quick and easy. A can of fruit or a banana is easy to eat. You can get those frozen steamer bags of plain veggies to use for side dishes for your meat or mix up with rice and stir fry.

FooGirlsMom Rookie

Hi Val,

I'm feeding myself and 2 kids gluten free and they eat like Kings, seriously. There are so many gluten-free subs that are out there. You just have to know what to buy.

Udi's bread is great. I make grilled cheese sandwiches with them and serve Pacific Foods Tomato Soup with them (I buy the soup at Winco in our are a- discount store).

The kids love Annies gluten-free Mac n Cheese. I get them from an online store on Auto-Ship.

They get chocolate cake (pamelas) and ice cream.

Tinkyada's pasta is wonderful. If you make Lasagna without cooking the noodles first it comes out nice and firm.

That's just the subs for regular gluteny foods.

As other posters mentioned, there are lots of gluten-free foods. But if you are missing the normal stuff, this can help.

One thing I did to make life easier, is to buy Jules' Gluten Free flour, which can be used JUST LIKE regular flour in most recipes. I make brownies, pineapple carrot cake, you name it. She also has e-book recipes.

Celiac is just like anything else...it has to be learned about and managed. Life is not over because gluten is out. There are many restaurants that will accomodate gluten-free diets too.

If I had to make a guess...the reason you are discouraged is that you have not educated yourself to the degree you need to and found the substitutes you need, diet wise, to feel normal. If you don't eat, you are going to feel wacky. Not having support from others is difficult, but not having support for yourself is worse. You aren't spending the time to learn how to feed yourself sweetie. Do yourself a favor and invest the time. We've all been down the same road. Hon, I feed 4 people gluten-free DAILY and have been doing it for the past 8 months on a budget. It can be done. I promise.

Hang in there. Your health is worth it.

FooGirlsMom

kareng Grand Master

Doritos are not gluten-free AFAIK.

Actually, most of them are.

Here's the link for the US: Open Original Shared Link

Frito Lay has recently been making some chips specifically gluten-free. The others have "no gluten ingredients" but may be made on shared lines or factory.

Actually, most of them are.

Here's the link for the US: Open Original Shared Link

Frito Lay has recently been making some chips specifically gluten-free. The others have "no gluten ingredients" but may be made on shared lines or factory.

Really, I didn't know that. I just know the last time I checked the nacho ones (about 8 months ago) they had wheat. I haven't checked recently because I can't have dairy anymore and they all have milk. But I found a great substitute in Grande brand Salsa Limon tortilla chips. They're gluten-free and dairy free. They do have MSG for anyone avoiding that. I get them as a rare treat when I'm craving Dorito's.

Skylark Collaborator

I would lose my mind on that diet too! You're going to stay light eating only once a day.

You mentioned grilled cheese. Find a good gluten-free bread like Udi's or Rudi's as a treat and make one! Almost all cheeses are gluten-free.

You know all fresh fruits and vegetables are gluten-free, right? Normal (not processed) cheeses, Yoplait brand yogurt, eggs, milk, plain nuts, rice, and potatoes are all gluten-free. So are plain herbs, spices, garlic, and onions. You can cook very much like you used to as long as you're not using seasoning mixes or flour. I don't miss gluten at all when I'm at home because it doesn't really change my cooking much. It's only eating out that's a pain.

Yesterday I had a banana, an fried egg, and a slice of gluten-free bread for breakfast. For lunch I had a cup of yogurt, some cherries, and a handful of cashew clusters I found at Costco that don't have any gluten. Then I made dal, an Indian lentil dish, from scratch with brown rice for dinner. I froze a bunch of it for lunches at work.

bigbird16 Apprentice

Simple real food ideas:

Turnips (or potatoes) O'Brian--sauteed turnip cubes, onions, garlic, and peppers, bacon, and egg stirred in

Steak with grilled onions, baked potato, and sliced beets

Shrimp or scallops with garlic butter over jasmine rice or romaine lettuce

Baked tilapia with dill, garlic potatoes, and green beans

Stew--meat or chicken, carrots, onions, and other root veggies (parsnips, turnips, rutabegas, etc.) slow cooked until tender

Bell peppers stuffed with ground turkey or meat, rice, and tomatoes

Applegate (uncured and nitrate/nitrite free and of course gluten free) hot dogs cut up and sauteed in olive oil with a side of mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli

I'm Lazy, and on a week night, the last thing I want to do is cook an elaborate meal for myself. I won't make anything that takes more than 20-30 minutes to whip up, unless I can throw it in the crock pot and leave it all day.

There are other fish than salmon, and you can do amazing things with eggs, rice, and potatoes that don't take a lot of effort. Adding some bell peppers to your meat can bring it to life. Mix spinach and okra together with a bit of dijon mustard to surprise your taste buds. Toss some Crystal hot sauce into your same old dinner, and I bet it won't be same old. Get some Bone Suckin' Sauce and make some bbq chicken or pulled pork. Get creative with your spices. You CAN do this, and you'll feel so much better if you get some more gluten-free food into you.

Dang it, I'm hungry now!

notme Experienced

macaroni & cheese!!!! my mom always made it with an egg/milk custard and served it with stewed tomatoes over it. tinkyada is da bomb of all gluten free pasta so just boil some up, grate some cheddar cheese or whatever kind you can eat/want to eat, layer into a buttered dish, mix a couple of eggs with milk & salt n pepper and pour it over the whole mess. bake 350 degrees till its browned on top and open a can of 'stewdamaters' VOILA!! and invite me over because i could eat it every day of my life :)

orrr, you could always play with your food - i am thinking of making shrimp salad: shrimp, celery, onion, AVOCADO (i know, now i'm running with scissors! :D) and a little olive oil n lime juice. make a little sammich on udi's bread and we pickled some eggs the other night (and snow peas!) <experimental - first time we got them to grow nicely because they are so fussy! anyway, i've always had a wierd appetite. when i was little i used to eat liverwurst and grape jelly sandwiches (and NOT just because it made my sister throw up! ok, maybe a little lol) and both liverwurst (boar's head) AND jelly are gluten free. coincidence?? I THINK NOT! haha ;)

seriously, you have to eat more than once a day, even if you have small plates or big snacks. i too am underweight and i load up on protein - a handful of nuts (almonds seem to perk me up) or open a can of tuna fish and just mix it with mayo. (that might be good with avocado, too. with cream cheese....lol) i mix unsalted cashews with honey nut chex and cranberries. thinking about making snackety snack bars out of that. i know, it's a pain in the ass. i would looooove a red robin burger and they keep showing it on tv! you can do it!! but you should eat more. get you a hello kitty lunchbox. that will cheer anybody up :)

notme Experienced

oh, and i make stuff and freeze it, too. because, i, too am LAZY :P that way, if i hafta go somewhere in a hurry, i throw some stuff in a cooler and get gone quick.

valeriek Apprentice

I still don't know why that is the only things you think you can eat? Look on the dinner thread like I suggested.

Here's what I ate yesterday:

gluten-free Rice Krispies

Left-over rice, corn, cheese, mild pepper casserole with added fresh tomatoes

Kettle corn

Dinner (whole family ate this):

Red potatoes cut into little pieces, tossed with olive oil & cooked on the grill wrapped in foil

Pork Chops cooked on grill - marinated in gluten-free worchestshire sauce, garlic & pepper

Salad - spinach, carrot, red pepper, feta with salad dressing

Cookie/candy bar cookie thingy

My god....can i come to your house to eat? Thank you so much. You are great.

Valerie

valeriek Apprentice

Do you have a night job or something that you eat so late at night? So it sounds like your real issue is that you need to get more variety in your food. Check out the thread that Kareng posted. Also since you don't have any other food intolerances there is no reason why you can't have a grilled cheese sandwhich. Just make it on gluten-free bread. Udi's and Rudi's brands both make great grilled cheese (or so I hear I can't eat cheese but I do eat those breads toasted and their good).

Doritos are not gluten-free AFAIK. If you are still eating gluten you are more liekly to be emotional about this longer and more liekly to crave gluteny foods. Everything else you listed sounds okay--except maybe candy bars that depends on the type and there are not many you can trust to be gluten-free. Why don't you eat any vegetables or fruit? It sounds like you like convience foods that are quick and easy. A can of fruit or a banana is easy to eat. You can get those frozen steamer bags of plain veggies to use for side dishes for your meat or mix up with rice and stir fry.

Hi

I just am a night owl. I eat the cool ranch doritos that are gluten-free. And the candy I eat is gluten-free. So the bread really is good? I bought some bread 1 time that weighed 5 pounds and horrible. I will try it. Thanks so much

Archived