This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does Anybody Stuggle To Talk When Glutened?

speedy2056

TeacherInTexas Newbie

The stool test was the most effective test for gluten when I was diagnosed in 2006. There were only 3 labs in the country doing it.

I did not even pursue the blood test since I heardy is was greatly inaccurate and that by the time it showed positive..there was already serious damage done to the body. .....not sure about the tests today though.......BUT if you are negative on the bloodwork....you really ought to do a stool test since it is an autoimmune disease and most of the immune system is in the intestines (not the blood)...which is why it shows its ugly face there more accurately. SO BEST to REALLY know...

Anyway....kuddos for thinking about going gluten free. It is a long hard road though. .....even with the better foods popping out lately

Lyme disease also causes lots of same/similar symptoms with the words and the CNS....and causes autoimmune diseases too so if gluten free doesn't change everyones symptoms..who knows...you might be like me....and have that pesky lyme as well.

If anyone has lyme on the boards....youtube rife machines.....I don't know if they work...just got mine a few days ago.....but quantum physics is MOST definitely interesting stuff.....especially for Star Trek fans....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

speedy2056 Apprentice

Well, unfortunately, just over a week being on the diet, again I'm having difficulty finding some words and I am experiencing anxiety and a drop in energy again. I still have better energy than before but not as much as I did last week. I've had anxiety since I were 15 and I cannot believe it's hit me again! I just hope it's withdrawal symptoms because I was doing so good on it!

At least I'm not falling asleep every time after dinner, anymore, and there is no bloating feeling in my stomach. So, there are still some benefits. I just hope I feel as good again as I did last week, but I've experienced these excitable energy bursts before when modifying my diet and they never last!

Sorry that this is off topic, but is bloating an exclusive symptom of celiac/gluten intolerance or does everybody, who eats wheat/gluten, experience bloating?

melikamaui Explorer

Reading through all of these responses is like reading my diary. I have always said that I have a "swiss cheese brain, things just fall right through". I just thought it was part of who I am. Well, low and behold going gluten-free changed all that! I still can't remember things very well long term, but my short term memory has greatly improved and I no longer search for words, or forget why I entered a room. I can tell the difference immediately when I eat gluten. The stutters, stammers, and memory loss comes right back, accompanied by migraines and tremors in my arms.

When my son gets glutened he gets violently ill (gastro stuff) and also gets ANGRY. He's only 6 and will tell me in total anger and frustration "I know the word is in my brain but I just can't think it!" So sad.

YoloGx Rookie

The stool test was the most effective test for gluten when I was diagnosed in 2006. There were only 3 labs in the country doing it.

I did not even pursue the blood test since I heardy is was greatly inaccurate and that by the time it showed positive..there was already serious damage done to the body. .....not sure about the tests today though.......BUT if you are negative on the bloodwork....you really ought to do a stool test since it is an autoimmune disease and most of the immune system is in the intestines (not the blood)...which is why it shows its ugly face there more accurately. SO BEST to REALLY know...

Anyway....kuddos for thinking about going gluten free. It is a long hard road though. .....even with the better foods popping out lately

Lyme disease also causes lots of same/similar symptoms with the words and the CNS....and causes autoimmune diseases too so if gluten free doesn't change everyones symptoms..who knows...you might be like me....and have that pesky lyme as well.

If anyone has lyme on the boards....youtube rife machines.....I don't know if they work...just got mine a few days ago.....but quantum physics is MOST definitely interesting stuff.....especially for Star Trek fans....

I had Lymes but got over it due to having a practitioner who used the Pap_Imi energy machine on me. I went in for frozen shoulder and found out I also had Lymes, which he treated and got rid of--i.e., both conditions. The inventor of the machine was actually the guy who inspired Star Trek's energy medicine machines! So I had to comment when I saw what you wrote. Of course it worked; and of course its now illegal in the states, though the rest of the world seems to like it. Was invented by a Greek Physicist at UCLA who made the machine for some other purpose but then found it cured his cancer and then that of his friends...

Unfortunately my ex chiropractor just used antibiotics to cure her Lymes--and she ended up dying from it. It was just too much for her to be on antibiotics for two years since she also had diabetes...!! I told her about the Pap-Imi but she said she couldn't afford to take a a trip to Europe to get treatment. Wish she had since I think then she'd still be around. She was a good egg...

YoloGx Rookie

Well, unfortunately, just over a week being on the diet, again I'm having difficulty finding some words and I am experiencing anxiety and a drop in energy again. I still have better energy than before but not as much as I did last week. I've had anxiety since I were 15 and I cannot believe it's hit me again! I just hope it's withdrawal symptoms because I was doing so good on it!

At least I'm not falling asleep every time after dinner, anymore, and there is no bloating feeling in my stomach. So, there are still some benefits. I just hope I feel as good again as I did last week, but I've experienced these excitable energy bursts before when modifying my diet and they never last!

Sorry that this is off topic, but is bloating an exclusive symptom of celiac/gluten intolerance or does everybody, who eats wheat/gluten, experience bloating?

Sorry to hear you are struggling again to find the right words. I still have that problem now and again, and certainly do after getting glutened or after I have been exposed to something else I am either allergic to or sensitive to.

It isn't our exclusive domain to get bloating--there are other causes than just gluten. Its common enough to have other food sensitivities too. Milk is the most common, followed up by corn, eggs, soy, nightshade family, coconut, salicylates, etc. And of course the biggy -- candida or other fungal or bacterial gut overgrowth. However I don't think bloating is that normal for those that don't have a problem with the wheat family -- or some other food sensitivities. Certainly bloating is an indication something is amiss...

Having what we have makes other food sensitivities much more likely due to leaky gut syndrome. After a while it gets better, but at first its tough, especially when you get glutened now and then. I find taking probiotics helps, plus L-glutamine by the way... I also take nattokinase to counteract the scar tissue. Co-enzyme B vitamins and minerals (calcium, magnesium, zinc, trace minerals, silica) are also key--plus vitamin D.

obaketenshi Rookie

Yeah I totally get this, and don't as much so far (one week and counting gluten free...). I'll be talking about something and just....its gone. Like I never said it. And no matter how much I struggle I can't recall. Like waking up from a dream and forgetting it instantly, only I'm AWAKE when it happens.

speedy2056 Apprentice

Sorry to hear you are struggling again to find the right words. I still have that problem now and again, and certainly do after getting glutened or after I have been exposed to something else I am either allergic to or sensitive to.

It isn't our exclusive domain to get bloating--there are other causes than just gluten. Its common enough to have other food sensitivities too. Milk is the most common, followed up by corn, eggs, soy, nightshade family, coconut, salicylates, etc. And of course the biggy -- candida or other fungal or bacterial gut overgrowth. However I don't think bloating is that normal for those that don't have a problem with the wheat family -- or some other food sensitivities. Certainly bloating is an indication something is amiss...

Having what we have makes other food sensitivities much more likely due to leaky gut syndrome. After a while it gets better, but at first its tough, especially when you get glutened now and then. I find taking probiotics helps, plus L-glutamine by the way... I also take nattokinase to counteract the scar tissue. Co-enzyme B vitamins and minerals (calcium, magnesium, zinc, trace minerals, silica) are also key--plus vitamin D.

Thank you for the reply! Well, anxiety has been good for me today. Even though I have been anxious for many years, ever since I have gone gluten free I have felt that I have now more control over it than ever, and I still feel that I have that control now.

Yeah, the word thing has become a little bit of an annoyance again but hopefully it will pass. Memory issues have much improved! I'm a boxing fan and was thinking about a particular opponent that a boxer fought way over ten years ago and I recalled it very quickly.

Before, I couldn't even recall why I was going to my kitchen drawer! And all these positive changes have occurred in just over a week with being on the diet.

Awesome! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

YoloGx Rookie

Thank you for the reply! Well, anxiety has been good for me today. Even though I have been anxious for many years, ever since I have gone gluten free I have felt that I have now more control over it than ever, and I still feel that I have that control now.

Yeah, the word thing has become a little bit of an annoyance again but hopefully it will pass. Memory issues have much improved! I'm a boxing fan and was thinking about a particular opponent that a boxer fought way over ten years ago and I recalled it very quickly.

Before, I couldn't even recall why I was going to my kitchen drawer! And all these positive changes have occurred in just over a week with being on the diet.

Hi Speedy, glad to hear you are feeling a bit better again. People who have never experienced this kind of change just don't really get it. They think we are trying to be difficult or often don't have patience for our inability to talk more coherently. I guess now we all know its a relatively common experience, we can just tell them what is going on--yet another reason to stay entirely gluten free.

By the way, its why the co-enzyme B's are important--they are good against cns problems. The co-enzyme part bypasses the liver and goes directly into the blood stream. And yes its good to clean out the liver. Its one reason eating lots of greens is important and/or taking something like alfalfa or chlorella.

All this is a bit like being a yoyo, between being clear and foggy, esp. at first 'til you get your whole cross contamination (CC) thing taken care of. Its thus important to eliminate things like old wooden utensils, cutting boards, fine mesh strainers, shampoo and dish detergent, lip gloss etc. etc.. I now even try to avoid dog or cat food that has gluten in it (I get the grain free kind) since they constantly lick themselves and us!! And remember to always wash your hands before eating or putting your fingers to your mouth unless you are in a strict gluten free environment.

I have even gotten glutened from a kiss or a boyfriend who gallantly opened my water bottle--his hands were not gluten free! If you have a girlfriend, its important to ask her to use gluten free makeup and brush and rinse her teeth (and wash hands and around her mouth) before kissing you if she has eaten any gluten! Embarrassing--yes a little, but better than getting sick... If she loves you, she won't fuss. If she does get mean about it, find another who can be with the program.

Marz Enthusiast

Great news! Glad the diet is helping :) I also had panic attacks (Started at same time as gut issues and slurring words) and all went away after a few weeks gluten free. I often get trace amounts of gluten (Like eating a marinated steak with "starch" that didn't warn about gluten, certain gluten-free biscuits), and then my symptoms come back again. So even though you're technically gluten free, you may still be getting small doses that are still affecting you. The best thing to do when you're still struggling with symptoms, is go on a whole foods diet for a few days - all food made from scratch, well washed fruit and veges, home-cooked meat and rice/potatoes. That way you're guaranteed to be getting 0 ppm gluten, and should see those last few symptoms clear up. That usually works for me at least :)

speedy2056 Apprentice

Thanks for the tips and encouragement! It's much appreciated! I'll be sure to follow all those instructions. :)

Archived