gbrad47

Need To Clarify My Celiac Panel Results

Rate this topic

I'm new to the forum and I have seen this topic mentioned before. I recently got my blood tests back and they read as follows:

Celiac Disease Panel Site/Specimen 01 Jun 2011 0815 Units Ref Range

Reticulum Ab Serum Negative

Gliadin Ab IgA Serum 5<i> U/ml (0-10)

Gliadin Ab IgG Serum <3

All I was told was that it was negative, but not given an explanation of what the tests measured or how my reading compared in terms of a positive result. Also as I have read other posts, it sems as though I did not take all of the required panels. Am I really negative, or should I request another panel and/or endoscopy.

Request the actual test results, including the reference ranges. That's ridiculous.

You know when you go to a lab, they sure as heck are VERY specific about checking for what the doctor ordered.

Request the actual test results, including the reference ranges. That's ridiculous.

You know when you go to a lab, they sure as heck are VERY specific about checking for what the doctor ordered.

I agree completely- you should definitely do this. In the mean time, these were the reference ranges given to me with my test results- I can't guarantee that they correspond with your exact results since sometimes tests vary by labs and units of measurements can also be different.

GLIADIN IGA, DEAMIDATED (units)

Negative 0 - 19

Weak Positive 20 - 30

Moderate to Strong Positive >30

GLIADIN IGG, DEAMIDATED (units)

Negative 0 - 19

Weak Positive 20 - 30

Moderate to Strong Positive >30

TRANSGLUT IGA (U/mL)

Negative 0 - 3

Weak Positive 4 - 10

Positive >10

TRANSGLUT IGG (U/mL)

Negative 0 - 5

Weak Positive 6 - 9

Positive >9

TOTAL IGA (mg/dL)

Standard range: 70 - 400

It's not ridiculous at all. The reference ranges are there and those are the actual test results. It is a negative celiac panel.

Celiac Disease Panel Site/Specimen 01 Jun 2011 0815 Units Ref Range

Reticulum Ab Serum Negative

Gliadin Ab IgA Serum 5<i> U/ml (0-10)

Gliadin Ab IgG Serum <3

Welcome to the forum. :)

Reticulum Ab is the old name for anti-endomysial or anti-EMA. Your result was negative, meaning they did not see the antibody at all. A positive result would have a number. Anti-EMA is an autoimmune antibody and is very specific for celiac disease.

Glidain Ab IgA, is for anti-gliadin antibodies. Your result was 5, the normal result or reference range was 0-10. A positive result would be higher than 10.

Glidain Ab IgG, I don't see the reference range in what you typed here but a <3 result will be negative as well. A positive result is higher than the reference range and <3 means it's below their detection limit. That's the test that doctors look at if you're low IgA.

You don't need these tests repeated. To move forward, you could request the newer deamidated gliadin peptide antibody test. It's a little more sensitive than anti-EMA, which is how your Dr. would justify it to insurance. Not all labs have it, though. The anti-TTG test is also used, but it tests for the same antibody as anti-EMA, and anti-EMA is usually the better of the two.

Beyond that, it's a biopsy or just trying the diet for a while. Good luck!