GFreeMO

Severe Reaction To Lactose Or What?

Rate this topic

I had a bad episode with spoiled Lactaid milk last week so I decided that I would do a test and try some regular milk. For 2 days, I cooked with it and used it in my coffee and made ice cream out of it. I felt gassy and had terrible heartburn. I took Maylox and blew it off thinking that it was the new bbq sauce that I used b/c it was really spicy.

Last night, I had more of the ice cream that I made out of the milk and I blew up like I was about to give birth. I didn't have D, just severe bloating and serious gas and bad heartburn. The only thing new that I added to my diet was the bbq sauce that says gluten free on the label.

I am thinking that I had a build up of lactose in me b/c I had been drinking and using Lactiad milk for about 2 years prior to this. That may be why the reaction took a day or 2. Does this sound right and can a reaction to lactose cause severe bloating like being glutened?

I really thought that I was glutened but today other that bad gas, I feel fine. No joint pain, headace, D etc.

Ideas?

Thanks

You have to ease back into lactose-containing dairy slowly, as it is normal to lose the ability to produce lactase over time if you are not consuming dairy. Do the same things happen if you have small amounts of low-lactose products like yogurt or cheese?

You have to ease back into lactose-containing dairy slowly, as it is normal to lose the ability to produce lactase over time if you are not consuming dairy. Do the same things happen if you have small amounts of low-lactose products like yogurt or cheese?

I do ok with cheese. Yogurt makes me sick for days.