Celiac_GRRRL

Newly Diagnosed & Re-Learning To Eat

Rate this topic

Hey all...i just diagnosed with Celiac Disease on June 3rd. I have been reading and researching & looking online...hearing opinions and reading intimidating recipes with intimidating ingredients. As a non-cooking-can-barely boil water girl i feel like a toddler taking it's first steps and learning and re-learning everything. The world looks so big from down here! haha There is so much information i dont know what to do other than dive in. And i have,,, i'm wondering if anyone else is in the pool? LOL

Hey all...i just diagnosed with Celiac Disease on June 3rd. I have been reading and researching & looking online...hearing opinions and reading intimidating recipes with intimidating ingredients. As a non-cooking-can-barely boil water girl i feel like a toddler taking it's first steps and learning and re-learning everything. The world looks so big from down here! haha There is so much information i dont know what to do other than dive in. And i have,,, i'm wondering if anyone else is in the pool? LOL

Welcome to the group! I think most of us felt kind of lost when we started on the gluten-free diet. There is a lot to learn about being gluten-free and celiac disease. And it does require changing your ideas about eating other things. like where it is safe to go out and eat.

It is not really that hard though once you get used to it. There is whole big pile of recipes in the baking and cooking section here. A real good way to start is to avoid all processed foods and stick with whole foods cooked from scratch. Meat and veggie and fruit work for most people. So dive on in and start getting your cooking skills going. They will pay you back well in the future. Not that you need to be a great chef at all, just basic cooking is all that's needed.

Here's a Tips thread that Corwyn started not long ago.

Your Top Two Pieces Of Advice for the newly diagnosed

I came late to learning to cook (started at 39). I still have a long way to go, but I'm MUCH better than I used to be! I recommend watching cooking shows. My favorite is America's Test Kitchen on PBS. They show you exactly what to do. You can rent their DVD's through Netflix or buy them and buy their books. I also subscribe to their web site www.cooksillustrated.com and get recipes, how to's, and equipment reviews from there. It's not a gluten-free cooking group, but many, many recipes are naturally gluten-free.

Another good one is Good Eats on Food Network. He shows the science and why's behind cooking as well as techniques and recipes. He also has a book or two.

And I HIGHLY recommend a really good digital meat thermometer. I was constantly overcooking meat and thus making it really dry. The first time I used a meat thermometer was the first time I made good chicken! I have one that I leave in large cuts of meat when cooking (it has a wire that goes from the probe that's stuck in the meat to the thermometer that's on the oven) and one that's like a thermometer on a stick that cannot be left in the oven. And if a recipe calls for brining meat before cooking, don't skip that step. It'll make your meal taste really good!

And if you can afford a few cooking classes, Whole Foods, Central Market, etc offer knife classes, fish classes, and others that don't involve gluten ingredients. Just bring your own cutting board.

So find yourself a few basic recipes like tacos or roasted chicken parts. Make them until comfortable. Then branch out with more ingredients or harder techniques. I had to start out learning what terms even meant ("brown" or "saute") before moving forward. It takes awhile, but it's worth it!!

Thank you for the information. That sounds like a very good place to start. Guess i need to learn to cook whenther i want to or not. Yeah processed foods was my lifestyle previously..unless someone cooked for me. Time to buck up i suppose. I want to saute some peppers and onions for a steak.... I will check out the sites you mentioned cos i have no clue! Thank you so much.= and wish me luck!

Caren