cyberprof

Naan And Other Indian Bread

Rate this topic

I've really missed Indian bread, especially naan. I've never been glutened at any Indian restaurants however, I REALLY miss the naan.

I've found this recipe for naan and it was pretty good, although it takes a long time to prepare. http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/2010/01/18/gluten-free-naan-and-an-update-on-freezing-the-dough

I also found a recipe that is naturally gluten-free: it's an indian crepe recipe that is good served with curries. I loved dipping the naan in the curry sauce and this crepe recipe lets me do that with a lot less work/time than with naan.

The recipe is from "5 spices, 50 dishes" by Ruta Kahate.

Goan Savory Crepes (adapted) Makes six crepes

1/2 cup rice flour (I used Authentic Foods superfine brown rice flour)

1/2 tablespoon sugar

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup canned coconut milk

1/2 egg or 2 tbls. egg substitute

1/4 cup water

canola oil

Mix dry ingredients. Mix coconut milk w/egg. Add dry ingredients to coco/egg mixture. Add water until smooth.

Heat 8 inch skillet on medium heat. Spray with canola oil or wipe with paper towel. Add batter and swirl. Cook 2 minutes covered.

Keep warm. They are thin and will stick together if allowed to become moist. Serve with curry.

I've really missed Indian bread, especially naan. I've never been glutened at any Indian restaurants however, I REALLY miss the naan.

I've found this recipe for naan and it was pretty good, although it takes a long time to prepare. http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/2010/01/18/gluten-free-naan-and-an-update-on-freezing-the-dough

I also found a recipe that is naturally gluten-free: it's an indian crepe recipe that is good served with curries. I loved dipping the naan in the curry sauce and this crepe recipe lets me do that with a lot less work/time than with naan.

1/2 tablespoon sugar

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup water

canola oil

Mix dry ingredients. Mix coconut milk w/egg. Add dry ingredients to coco/egg mixture. Add water until smooth.

Heat 8 inch skillet on medium heat. Spray with canola oil or wipe with paper towel. Add batter and swirl. Cook 2 minutes covered.

Keep warm. They are thin and will stick together if allowed to become moist. Serve with curry.

Those sound fantastic. I love making crepes but hadn't thought of a savoury style for a main course addition!

Will be making these later this week, thanks for the inspiration ;-)

1/2 tablespoon sugar

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup water

canola oil

That looks really goood. I will try it, as well. What curry sauce do you use?

My favourite crepe fillings are savory as well and include shrimp mousseline, chicken with artichoke and sundried tomato, smoked salmon, florentine, lobster cream, leek and apple.

Buckwheat crepes are yummy, too! :)

That looks really goood. I will try it, as well. What curry sauce do you use?

If I don't make it from scratch, I use Suhki's mixes. They are spice packets (kind of a paste -not dry) and they are excellent. We really like the Tikka Masala and Vindaloo and I think all are gluten-free.

For cooking from scratch, I like the cookbook "5 spices, 50 dishes" by Ruta Kahate and "The Indian Slow-cooker" by Anupy Singla. Most of these are naturally gluten-free and the rest can be adapted.

If I don't make it from scratch, I use Suhki's mixes. They are spice packets (kind of a paste -not dry) and they are excellent. We really like the Tikka Masala and Vindaloo and I think all are gluten-free.

For cooking from scratch, I like the cookbook "5 spices, 50 dishes" by Ruta Kahate and "The Indian Slow-cooker" by Anupy Singla. Most of these are naturally gluten-free and the rest can be adapted.

THANK YOU!!!!