kellynolan82

Decadent-Looking Chocolate Cake - Frosting/cake Recipe?

Rate this topic

Here is a picture of a decadent-looking chocolate cake.

There is no recipe that I could find for it anywhere, I just saw the picture and thought 'oh, how nice would it be if I could make this gluten free!'. I'm certainly sure it's possible. Particularly as I'm mainly interested in the frosting ingredients and how you'd get such a nice smooth and consistent texture over the top of it.

Also more than happy to hear of flour substutes for making the cake itself too! :)

mud%20cake.jpg

There is no recipe that I could find for it anywhere, I just saw the picture and thought 'oh, how nice would it be if I could make this gluten free!'. I'm certainly sure it's possible. Particularly as I'm mainly interested in the frosting ingredients and how you'd get such a nice smooth and consistent texture over the top of it.

Also more than happy to hear of flour substutes for making the cake itself too! :)

mud%20cake.jpg

That cake looks similar to a truffle cake with ganache. I just happen to have a recipe for a gluten-free version somewhere - will look into it and get back to you. There are even flourless chocolate cakes you can make that are delicious.

mud%20cake.jpg

I hereby ban that picture. I just licked my computer screen. mmmm :)

Hey!!

sa1937 posted a Flourless Chocolate Cake here a few months ago that looked yummy...

Oh my god!!

This is one of the recipes I had in mind. It is truffle-like inside. Just make a ganache for the top and sides (there is ganache in the middle of the cake in the photo so if you felt really decadent you could make two of these cakes and stack them).

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2011/03/karinas-chocolate-truffle-cake.html#more

Ganache is very simple, rich and glossy...

http://www.joyofbaking.com/ganache.html

I like to sprinkle my truffle/chocolate cakes with some fleur de sel as I love the extra bit of salty crunch. I do the same with butterscotch, caramel and shortbread.

Thanks for this, it will come to great use for sure! :) Haven't had a whole lot of experience in home baking (let alone gluten-free home baking) so I'll give it a go.

I hereby ban that picture. I just licked my computer screen. mmmm :)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey!!

sa1937 posted a Flourless Chocolate Cake here a few months ago that looked yummy...

http://www.celiac.co...chocolate-cake/

Oh my god!!

This is by far the easier flourless chocolate cake I've made. I made one a few years ago from the epicurious website and the ganache was cloyingly sweet. Ugh!

OhMYGosh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is too funny for words, RL2011.

The main thing is that I'd like to get the ganache nice and even on top, similar to that seen in the picture, so that it's spread completely evenly.

The main thing is that I'd like to get the ganache nice and even on top, similar to that seen in the picture, so that it's spread completely evenly.

Yes - that ganache is SO easy and you can spread it thickly on the top. It glistens and is so smooth that it hides any imperfections, too! :P

The moosewood cookbook of desserts also has a great easy flourless chocolate cake. It's like six eggs, melted chocolate, vanilla, sugar, and baking powder. Fluffy. Chocolatey. Not at all dry or cumbly.