This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Teff Intolerance?

Salem

Salem Rookie

I have been struggling for the past several months with celiac-like symptoms. I could not figure out what my problem was. I *know* I am not eating gluten. I was having awful gas and incredibly painful, mucousy D BM's. Most people would go to the Dr, but experience has taught me that Dr's really don't know what to do with stomach problems. I knew it was diet related, and no endoscope or stool sample was going to help me. I had just started drinking protein shakes, and attributed my problems to the shakes. I changed brands 3 times, but no real improvement. I kept changing things in my diet, no rice, no salad, less fiber, no chocolate, more chocolate. No luck.

Finally it dawned on me. Udi's bread. Since it came to Canada, I have been binge eating the stuff. I was so happy to be able to eat bread that was actually like bread. I decided to try cutting it out, and what do you know, I feel fine. I looked at the ingredients tonight to try and see what ingredient could be causing me problems, the only thing listed that I don't usually eat.... teff. Wondering if others have struggles with teff. I did a google search and didn't see much. I'm so sad that I have to say goodbye to Udi.

I am worried that this may be the start of more intolerances. I wonder is there a way to prevent developing more?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cassP Contributor

i have "gluten light" symptoms from many of those gluten free breads... dont know if it's potato starch, tapioca starch, or all of the other substitutes in there- i also have gluten symptoms from corn.

i really have to keep my grains/starches to a MINIMUM... rice & quinoa dont seem to bother me ..

the reactions are TOTALLY similar- however- they dont take long to recover from, whereas i got glutened a month ago, and im just now getting back to normal.

Jenniferxgfx Contributor

I think Udi's is a problem for a lot of folks and it's usually because of cross contamination of gluten rather than a problem with the ingredients. (that's not to say it's impossible, just that there's cc.)

Skylark Collaborator

There are a lot of people who say they have trouble with Udi's. I'm lucky - I can eat it. I don't think it's gluten because they are sourcing as carefully as any other gluten-free brand. Of course if you can't tolerate 5ppm, any "gluten-free" bread will be a problem.

My guess with Udi's is that they're using a lot of xanthan gum to get the great texture. It's a pretty good laxative and I bet Udi's uses a little too much for some folks.

bigbird16 Apprentice

I'm allergic to teff. My airways start closing up. Same thing happens with millet. Wish I could eat Udi's whole grain bread. Their white bread I eat with no issues whatsoever. I agree with Skylark, xanthan gum may be more the issue.

sreese68 Enthusiast

The best way to know for sure if it's teff is to buy a bag and eat it by itself. If you don't react to it after a couple of days, then try eating another product that has very few ingredients but include whatever gum Udi's uses. I finally found a muffin mix from Gluten Free pantry that only white rice as the flour. (Brown rice makes me sick.) And I'm using it to test whether xanthum gum bothers my system.

Good luck!

Salem Rookie

I'm allergic to teff. My airways start closing up. Same thing happens with millet. Wish I could eat Udi's whole grain bread. Their white bread I eat with no issues whatsoever. I agree with Skylark, xanthan gum may be more the issue.

Yes, Gluten Free Girl has been writing lately about Xanthan gum and others. I may try the white bread, but I always feel guilty for eating white bread. I didn't grow up on it, and to me, it's like Wonderbread - yuck!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

srall Contributor

I like how CassP said she has "gluten light" symptoms from gluten free grains. I feel the same way. I went all the way grain free and some nagging symptoms cleared all the way, like minor joint pain, some allergy symptoms and I had increased energy. Since my daughter's been home from school this summer I've been baking a lot more for her meals, and I've started getting into her food. Sure enough the symptoms are back. Right now my eyes are almost swollen shut (but honestly I think that's from eating some cheese last night).

Anyhow, I have noticed that my daughter's (age 8) big D has returned this summer and this morning she's complaining of a sore throat. So, I am questioning teff for sure, but also suspect tapioca starch. We can up the Udi's awhile ago because of the Xantham gum and we don't do corn anyway. I think there are just too many ingredients in that really processed bread to keep track of.

I hope you get your reaction figured out. As for me, I will be returning to my grain free diet. This is no way to live.

modiddly16 Enthusiast

I can't eat Udi's or Teff. My finacee and I (my fiancee is a gluten eating fiend) both had bathroom emergencies while eating Udi's, so I think the laxative effect definitely took toll on our household. I also tried the Teff Flour wraps and had a similar reaction...so I sadly avoid them all!

cvll Apprentice

I made a gluten-free deep dish pizza crust using gluten-free bisquick and almost 2 teaspoons of xanthan gum. Sure enough, the next day or three felt terrible. Bad cramps and diarrhea (not watery, but very slow and soft and many times- sorry tmi!). I am really thinking it's the xanthan gum for me. I can eat one piece of gluten-free bread with xanthan gum in it, but if I eat anymore than that it definitely affects me the same.

sa1937 Community Regular

I made a gluten-free deep dish pizza crust using gluten-free bisquick and almost 2 teaspoons of xanthan gum. Sure enough, the next day or three felt terrible. Bad cramps and diarrhea (not watery, but very slow and soft and many times- sorry tmi!). I am really thinking it's the xanthan gum for me. I can eat one piece of gluten-free bread with xanthan gum in it, but if I eat anymore than that it definitely affects me the same.

Gluten-Free Bisquick already has xanthan gum in it so am curious why you would have to add more. Did you have a recipe that called for an additional amount?

• 2 years later...
Lynchburg Newbie

Last night I cooked Bobsredmill teff using the stew recipe on the package.  Delicious, but the big D and more this morning.  So, I am wondering if it is this brand or teff itself?  Please let me know if you have experience with either.

Juliebove Rising Star

Some people have reported problems with Bob's Red Mill. 

• 2 years later...
Jen deNutrients Newbie

Udi's brand also uses sodium carboxymethyl cellulose in many products, a food additive emulsifier that may cause intestinal symptoms. Emulsifiers help stabilize the bread and give it a great texture but the additive may also possibly be emulsifing the intestinal lining. Our intestinal cell walls are lined with electrically active proteins that are shaped somewhat like bottle brushes with a stiff backbone protein handle topped by electrically active bristles that act like magnets that repel each other and help keep the tube shape of the intestine open. So food additive emulsifiers may be disrupting the ability of the intestinal walls to stay open. Xanthum gum is also an emulsifier.

Archived