This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Did You Get A Negative Biopsy?

Newsy

Newsy Rookie

Here is the link:

Open Original Shared Link

Limited Formalin Exposure May Impair Disease Diagnosis

Last Updated: June 23, 2011.

• 2 weeks later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jemms Apprentice

this is interesting...can you explain what this means in "lay language"? thanks so much, my brain glazed over once I got to the medical language. :blink:

Skylark Collaborator

The article is about biopsy processing, but it says DH samples are fine in formalin. I'm not sure I see the relevance for celiac DH biopsies, and GI biopsies are not usually immunologically tested. Unfortunately I can't get the full text.

Newsy Rookie

I am going to print & take to my derm dr. Appt. In August.

I thought it was interesting that they tested samples of DH, for one thing. I mean, of all the potential disease diagnoses out there, potentially verified by this type of testing.

Secondly, it seemed to me they were saying, for DH anyway, that a period of longer than 10 minutes in the "formulin" might possibly alter the specimen and resulting diagnosis.

I am not sure of all the possible implications for us regarding our testing and disease diagnosis confirmation with regard to this study,( I should know more after my appt.) but I had to wonder given the fact that DH samples were chosen for the study.

As I said, my DH has not been confirmed, but I will make sure to tell the doc in August not to leave my biopsy specimen in that solution for longer than 10 minutes ;)

Ps: does the biopsy hurt?

Timothy Noel Newbie

After a blood test in Dec 2008, I was told that I have a 'wheat allergy'. I was a 2 (out of 4) in the immunoglobulin

jemms Apprentice

how do they do a DH biopsy?

WestyPDX Newbie

Ps: does the biopsy hurt?

Yes, but the pain is over fairly quickly. It's about twice as painful as a standard blood draw, but lasts a bit longer. It's been a long time since I had mine, so I forget if they give you a shot of local anesthetic or just rub a numbing cream over the biopsy area first.

how do they do a DH biopsy?

They do a punch biopsy using a bladed instrument to cut through the epidermis and dermis layers. The Mayo Clinic's site has a good drawing of one:

Open Original Shared Link

Mine required a few stitches.

Verdict: If this is what you have to go through to get treatment for your DH, by all means do it regardless of the pain and inconvenience. My diagnosis and treatment was a game changer for me.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Newsy Rookie

Thank you for the link and info on the biopsy, Westy, but...OUCH!!! :unsure:

It sure doesn't look like fun, that's for sure.

Also, a few more questions for those experienced with the biopsy. I have been gluten free (including now all topical sources of gluten, like lotions, hair products, etc). Will that potentially affect my biopsy/diagnosis? Is it like the intestinal biopsy, where one must be EATING gluten for a positive result? My rash is getting much better now, and by the time my Dr. appt. rolls around, it may be nothing more than scars. Now, I will say this, it is fairly easy to get the rash active, with any gluten-containing lotion and the like.

I would hate to be turned away, and made to come back after either eating glutenband or putting it on my body to activate the rash.

Has anyone been diagnosed from scarring after the active rash has dissipated? My scarring is very...distinctive.

Thanks!

Archived