firefightersgal

Detecting celiac disease In Preschoolers?

Rate this topic

I have celiac disease (more specifically dermatitis herpitiformus) and have known about it for about a year, though I didn't receive my official diagnosis until about a month ago.

I've been wondering if my daughter has or will have celiac disease and what to look for in her. I had/have somewhat obscure symptoms (joint pain, rash, infertility/miscarriage).

She complains of her stomach hurting fairly frequently. She also has pale stools essentially all the time. (She is 4.5 and has been fully potty-trained for a couple of years, so I don't always see the result). She doesn't have any growth issues at this point.

I don't want to be paranoid, but I also don't want to turn a blind eye to something. If it makes any difference at all, she also has a severe peanut allergy.

Her severe stomach pain and pale stools and your diagnosis are enough to warrant testing her for Celiac or trying the gluten free diet to see if it helps her. That would be enough for me to take her gluten free to try to relieve her stomach pain.