This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Very Angry

Laurie H

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

And as an aside I did a little research on that "doctor" she keeps bringing. I could be wrong, but it seems that the dr would not be considered a medical DR in the US at all. Here are her credentials:

"Natasha Campbell-McBride MD

MMedSci (neurology), MMedSci (nutrition)

Dr. Campbell-McBride graduated with Honours as a Medical Doctor in 1984 from Bashkir Medical University in Russia. In the following years she gained a Postgraduate MMedSci Degree in Neurology."

So she has a degree in neurology and and nutrition. I majored in psychology in college. I could have done neuro-science as a masters or P.HD and called myself a "dr" of neurology but I would have NO medical training whatsoever. You have to go to medical school for that. Also that college in Russia she graduated doesn't exist. there is a "Bashkir State Medical University". Perhaps the name has been changed since she graduated in 1984? 1984?!?! Is that a joke? Does anyone else find that funny as a possible reference to the George Orwell book? Also what was going on in 1984 in Russia? Anyone really good at remembering Russian history? I thought the revolution was not until 1989. So we are to trust someone with the equivalent of a masters in Neuroscience that went to school in soviet Russia during the revolutionary years? Really?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
mamabear272 Explorer

I love how she thinks that our disease is "trendy!" :blink: Oh how I wish that were the case! And the fact that she reefers to it as an allergy shows how uneducated she is about it. It is NOT an allergy, it's intolerance...like the intolerance I have for such ignorance!

kareng Grand Master

And as an aside I did a little research on that "doctor" she keeps bringing. I could be wrong, but it seems that the dr would not be considered a medical DR in the US at all. Here are her credentials:

"Natasha Campbell-McBride MD

MMedSci (neurology), MMedSci (nutrition)

Dr. Campbell-McBride graduated with Honours as a Medical Doctor in 1984 from Bashkir Medical University in Russia. In the following years she gained a Postgraduate MMedSci Degree in Neurology."

So she has a degree in neurology and and nutrition. I majored in psychology in college. I could have done neuro-science as a masters or P.HD and called myself a "dr" of neurology but I would have NO medical training whatsoever. You have to go to medical school for that. Also that college in Russia she graduated doesn't exist. there is a "Bashkir State Medical University". Perhaps the name has been changed since she graduated in 1984? 1984?!?! Is that a joke? Does anyone else find that funny as a possible reference to the George Orwell book? Also what was going on in 1984 in Russia? Anyone really good at remembering Russian history? I thought the revolution was not until 1989. So we are to trust someone with the equivalent of a masters in Neuroscience that went to school in soviet Russia during the revolutionary years? Really?

I think the school could have changed its name from 1984. In "Russia" back then, a 1 or 2 year of study allowed you to perform many medical & dental treatments.

The fact that she is selling books and other things on the site makes you think, too.

Skylark Collaborator

"Once you rebalance and rebuild your gut so that beneficial bacteria dominate rather than the pathogens that are in control in the gut of a gluten intolerant person, you may be delighted to find that gluten no longer bothers you!"

Is this what the original article said or did she rewrite with more caution? I don't see anything objectionable now.

She has also turned off comments on that post. Close-minded for sure.

kareng Grand Master

"Once you rebalance and rebuild your gut so that beneficial bacteria dominate rather than the pathogens that are in control in the gut of a gluten intolerant person, you may be delighted to find that gluten no longer bothers you!"

Is this what the original article said or did she rewrite with more caution? I don't see anything objectionable now.

I think She re-wrote that! :blink:

The comments from her are nuts,too. Oh well! I think I've given her way more of my time than I should,

I think she rewrote it. She also deleted or changed a couple comments she had made where she said that celiac disease was curable and a person with celiac could go back to eating gluten without symptoms in 6 months to 3 years if they ate properly (i.e. GAPS diet). She left the comments where she said celiac disease is not a life sentence and that celiac disease patients could "heal". Earlier she had clearly indicated that by "healing" she meant go back to eating gluten in a few years. With those comments gone however it is now more open to interpretation what she meant.

I think the school could have changed its name from 1984. In "Russia" back then, a 1 or 2 year of study allowed you to perform many medical & dental treatments.

The fact that she is selling books and other things on the site makes you think, too.

Yeah, I'm pretty familiar with some of the "medical treatment" of orphans from former Soviet countries (from personal experiences I won't further go into here). I don't think I would EVER trust one of those drs to treat me. :ph34r:

I'm just shaking my head that anyone can put MD behind their name, write a book which is probably mostly theory and not medical science (and if it IS based on anything she learned in medical school that was back in 1984 when many still thought kids outgrew celiac, right?) and so many people are taken in by it without checking out her credentials or looking at more up to date research.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mummyto3 Contributor

There's not a lot you can do although I can understand your frustration with her. I should hope that anyone who reads what she wrote will use their own minds. All you can do is educate her as best you can then leave it. There's no point arguing with someone who is adamant that they are right even when they clearly aren't.

Step back, take a breather. Some people just don't want to listen.

Take care x

domesticactivist Collaborator

As for the book, do you mean the GAPS book? We have read it and are using the diet and it does NOT say that celiac people should EVER start eating gluten again!

Here are a few facts about GAPS:

• The GAPS diet is not directed specifically for celiac people.
  • GAPS stands for Gut and Psychology Sydrome and is all about the way a damaged gut impacts mental health (autism, ADHD, etc)
  • The GAPS book does NOT refer to celiacs as "allergic to gluten"
  • The GAPS diet and protocol is aimed at reducing gut permeability and correcting the balance of flora in the gut
  • The GAPS diet is 100% grain (and alternate grain) free
  • The GAPS Intro diet is meant to be temporary - it is a period of starting with broth and cooked veggies, then introducing foods one at a time, slowly, as your digestion normalizes
  • The Full GAPS diet is grain-free, and is meant to be the basis for a life-long diet
  • As the damage previously done to your gut heals, you are meant to eventually be able to relax it a bit - occasionally having foods that are not on the approved list if they are well-tolerated. If you are celiac, gluten is NEVER to become one of those foods.

catsmeow Contributor

OK.....I have a really scary point of view. Would if, this is the new trend of thought for all those gluten lites that have been parading around crying "I have a wheat allergy and/or Celiacs" Making restaurants miserable, then eating a piece of garlic bread saying "I just couldn't resist" would if, this group of dumb-shihtzu's need a way out of their trendy fake self diagnosed"wheat allergy or Celiacs" because they don't want to do it anymore, they arn't getting the attention from it that they use to, the trend is winding down, and they miss their glutenoid ways.

Would if, the way out is a mass outcry that they are "cured" because they healed their guts or whatever other healing method some jerk is spouting, like the lady in this blog did? It would be mighty convenient. Problem solved.

I cannot imagine how it's going to be for us, the real deal, when people start spouting off and lecturing us about how we can "cure" it just like 6 people they know did, if we just "try" harder. In fact, my Cousin tried to lecture me about "healing" just last night, right after I read that blog and this post. I was already completely pissed off and let her have it good. I gave her an education!! I'm sure she read some sort of crapola on the internet and maybe got it from her trendy friends. Who knows.....but OY, I doubt she will try that internet armchair medical practicing on me again.

GGGGRRRRR....if this is the new school of thought for the trendy gluten lite crowd, it's going to be bad for us for awhile.....I can hear waitresses lecturing us when we ask for the gluten free menu, and I can see my head exploding.... :P

HUMPH.....off to calm myself with a big bowl of Tinkyada pasta and portabello mushroom spaghetti sauce and a truckload of parm cheese! :lol:

I hope this doesn't become a trend, it will be such a disservice and set-back to the Celiac and wheat allergy community..... :angry:

As for the book, do you mean the GAPS book? We have read it and are using the diet and it does NOT say that celiac people should EVER start eating gluten again!

• GAPS stands for Gut and Psychology Sydrome and is all about the way a damaged gut impacts mental health (autism, ADHD, etc)
  • The GAPS diet and protocol is aimed at reducing gut permeability and correcting the balance of flora in the gut
  • The GAPS Intro diet is meant to be temporary - it is a period of starting with broth and cooked veggies, then introducing foods one at a time, slowly, as your digestion normalizes
  • The Full GAPS diet is grain-free, and is meant to be the basis for a life-long diet
  • As the damage previously done to your gut heals, you are meant to eventually be able to relax it a bit - occasionally having foods that are not on the approved list if they are well-tolerated. If you are celiac, gluten is NEVER to become one of those foods.

I was hoping you would post and clarify that as I think i have seen you mention it elsewhere. It seems like this particular blogger either mis-read the book on GAPS or read a different one than you did. She seemed really confused and seemed to be using the terms "gluten allergy" and celiac interchangablely. I do hope she looks into it more instead of continuing to spread mis-information.

mamabear272 Explorer

The comments from her are nuts,too. Oh well! I think I've given her way more of my time than I should,

She got 5 minutes of my time that I'll never get back! Such nonsense!

catsmeow Contributor

Thank you!!!

bartfull Rising Star

Someone should ask her why she puts her faith in that one book, and totally discounts all of the other medical literature out there. Perhaps she is getting paid/per/mention?

Korwyn Explorer

Thank you DA. :) I was reading this and getting more and more irritated that people were coming away with a bad feeling about the GAPS book/diet/research not realizing that either she never fully read it, or she created her own little proof-texted reality by extracting parts of multiple source materials to construct her mishmash of ideas.

I was hoping you would post something articulate and well presented because if you didn't I was going to wind up posting something inarticulate and incoherently presented. :lol:

Debbie B in MD Explorer

I was going to post a comment, but I couldn't find where to do so. Frustrating. I think she is confusing healing or improving the symptoms or results with healing celiac. Yes, her misinformation goes beyond this, but this is what stood out to me at first. If you can tell me how to post a response I will happily do so.

Skylark Collaborator

She has turned off comments on the article. Apparently REAL celiacs are not welcome on her blog.

Katrala Contributor

I think the author of the blog linked in the first post was mainly trying to say that people who buy gluten-free (processed) foods from a health food store are not receiving health benefits because they are still eating processed.

It seems like her initial attempt was scolding those who are on a gluten-free fad (and didn't really incorporate celiacs) but she didn't have enough knowledge on the topic and later just wanted to save face on her home turf instead of admitting she was wrong.

Meh, it happens.

cassP Contributor

I was hoping you would post and clarify that as I think i have seen you mention it elsewhere. It seems like this particular blogger either mis-read the book on GAPS or read a different one than you did. She seemed really confused and seemed to be using the terms "gluten allergy" and celiac interchangablely. I do hope she looks into it more instead of continuing to spread mis-information.

yes, i assumed she misunderstood the GAPS book, just as she misunderstood every comment we posted

So now I read the comments and OMG, they are awful!

She seems to have mentioned some other book by the same author specifically about autoimmunity but I can't find reference to it anywhere on the web. I *have* found a few other blogs with the same kind of "information." I have also found titles that imply cures for autoimmune disease, though not celiac in particular, and not by the same author. I am very curious as to whether Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride has claimed to cure celiac disease.

Here is what the GAPS book has to say about celiac disease:

pg 13:

"There has been a substantial amount of research linking schizophrenia with digestive abnormalities similar to coeliac disease. C. Dohan, R. Cade, K. Rachelt, A. Hoffe, C. Pfeiffer and other doctors and scientists have established a hypothesis of gut-brain connection in schizophrenia and backed it by very serious scientific findings, which we will discuss in detail in the following chapters."

And on autoimmunity:

pg 69, 70

"An infant born to a mother with ME, fibromialgia, digestive problems, asthma, eczema, severe allergies, autoimmune disorders or neurological problems should not be vaccinated. An infant presenting with eczema, asthma, digestive problems or any other disorder which would indicated compromised gut flora and immunity should be a red flag not to vaccinate! Younger siblings of autistic children, children with severe eczema, asthma, allergies, ADHD, epilepsy and insulin dependant diabetes should not be vaccinated. At a later age these children can be retested, and in those cases where the child does not have immune deficiencies, vaccination with single vaccines only may be considered. These vaccines should be spaced at least six weeks apart."

And on coming off the GAPS Diet

pg 155-156

"The strict GAPS diet should be adhered to for at least 1 1/2 - 2 years. Depending on the severity of the condition*, some people recover more quickly while others take much longer. Your patient needs to have at least 6 months of normal digestion before you start introducing foods not allowed on the GAPS diet. Do not rush with this step.

"The first foods you will be able to introduce are new potatoes and fermented gluten-free grains (buckwheat, millet, and quinoa). The recipe section will explain how to ferment grains. Don't forget that potato is a nightshade plant, so if your patient is sensitive to this group of foods, then you ned to try introducing tomato, aubergine (eggplant) and peppers first before trying potato.

"Introduce one food at a time and always start with a small amount: give your patient a small portion of the new food and watch for any reaction for 2-3 days. If there are no diestive problems returning, or any other typical-for-your-patient symptoms, then in a few days try another portion. If there are no reactions, gradually increase the amount of the food. These are starchy foods, so do not forget to serve them with good amounts of fat (butter, ghee, olive oil, any animal fat, coconut oil, etc.) to slow down the digestion of starch. Do not rush with the introduction of these new foods, it may take several months to do it properly.

"Once new potatoes and fermented grains are introduced, try to make sourdough with good quality wheat or rye flour. You can make pancakes or bread with the sourdough. I would recommend a wonderful book by Sally Fallon [em]Nourishing Traditions[/em] for a wealth of recipes. Once sourdough is well tolerated you may be able to buy commercially available good quality sourdough breads.

"At that stage you may find that your patient can digest buckwheat, millet and quinoa without fermenting them prior to cooking. Gradually you will ind that you can introduce various starchy vegetables, grains and beans.

"YOUR PATIENT WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO GO BACK TO THE TYPICAL MODERN DIET FULL OF SUGAR, ARTIFICIAL AND PROCESSED INGREDIENTS AND OTHER HARMFUL "FOODS". USE THE YEARS OF FOLLOWING GAPS NUTRITIONAL PROTOCOL FOR DEVELOPING HEALTHY EATING HABITS FOR LIFE!

"In conclusion: at first glance the GAPS diet appears to be very hard work. However, it is a very wholesome and healthy diet and will allow your patient to heal and seal the gut lining and lay a strong foundation for good health for life. It means that the majority of GAPS people do not have to adhere to a special diet for the rest of their lives: once the digestive system starts functioning normally, they can gradually introduce the most wholesom foods commonly eaten around the world. Some people achieve this target in two years, some take longer - it depends on the severity of the condition and the age of the person: children generally recover more quickly than adults.

"Once introduced, the GAPS diet is no more difficult than any normal cooking and feeding the family. And shopping is very simple: just buy everything fresh and unprocessed."

*It is clear to me from the book that the "condition" Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride is referring to is the Gut and Psychology Syndrome - a suite of neurological symptoms created as a side-effect of a leaky gut. She rarely mentions celiac disease in particular and I have not been able to find any quotes from her claiming it will be healed by the diet (though please point them out to me if you find one).

Our family's take on this was that a person who has a damaged gut but does not have celiac disease would probably (but not certainly) be able to reintroduce grains someday. However, if one has celiac disease, reintroducing gluten could trigger reactions in the body which again begin the process of damaging the healed gut. Why would you want to do that?

Many celiac people would experience symptoms from reintroducing grains, and therefor back off them as she suggests if they tried it as a part of coming off the diet. However, the silent celiacs out there might not, which could mean greater problems down the line. She doesn't address this possibility in her book, and I think the reason why is that she's not addressing the book to celiac people, and she's not suggesting the diet heals celiac disease, rather that it heals damage done to the gut by improper flora and inflammation in the body, and the neurological and mental illnesses that can result from that.

cap6 Enthusiast

Ok. I posted this. I hate to "count as a view" on her page. She can show advertisers how many people read her & get money.

Could you please state some of your published sources, besides one persons book, that supports your theory that Celiac is

notme Experienced

I went to this site & saw your posting as well as her reply.

?? Celiac can be handled in a more effective way. ??? What planet is she from. Obviously she has never suffered with Celiac issues. I would also post a response to her but am not very computer savvy & don't know how.

she has closed the comments. for her to argue is ridiculous. esp since her only argument is to read a bogus book. wowzers. i hope karma catches up with her :)

she has closed the comments. for her to argue is ridiculous. esp since her only argument is to read a bogus book. wowzers. i hope karma catches up with her :)

The book isn't about celiac at all, and doesn't say the stuff she says it says, btw. I posted what it actually has to say earlier on this thread.

The sad thing is that her post and much of what she has to say on her site is right on. It's true that processed crap is processed crap whether it says gluten-free or organic or all natural on it or not. It's too bad that she seems to have taken in the idea of healing the gut through GAPS as a cure all for everything and everybody, when it is not.

kareng Grand Master

The book isn't about celiac at all, and doesn't say the stuff she says it says, btw. I posted what it actually has to say earlier on this thread.

The sad thing is that her post and much of what she has to say on her site is right on. It's true that processed crap is processed crap whether it says gluten-free or organic or all natural on it or not. It's too bad that she seems to have taken in the idea of healing the gut through GAPS as a cure all for everything and everybody, when it is not.

She has some other posts about GAPS curing autoimmune diseases, cancer & tooth cavities. I hope some idiot less knowledgable parent doesn't decide she/ he has cured their kid's diabetes or leukemia. I think she has completely mis-interpreted the book & the diet plan.

Marz Enthusiast

Would if, the way out is a mass outcry that they are "cured" because they healed their guts or whatever other healing method some jerk is spouting, like the lady in this blog did? It would be mighty convenient. Problem solved.

That is a scary thought - these trendy people that were only following the diet because it's the latest fad, decide they would actually prefer to eat wheat. They're not really gluten-intolerant, so when they return to it, declare themselves "cured".

I've already got that from a colleague - oh yes, he also used to have issues with wheat, but it has since "gone away". I just smiled, nodded and said "That might be your case, I don't think I'll be able to eat it again though...".

For the OP - I agreed with the blogger about protein shakes, but I know I don't have any medical basis for that - I just think it's gross eating fake food. I noticed she often didn't have references for her information, a sure sign someone is just spewing nonsense. Oh, and mis-quoting/massaging info in books, that's just classy. Her information on gluten "allergies" and celiac being "healable" is hilarious and saddening.

Good one on that comment, I also though it was brilliant - the medical community would like to know indeed! :D

Archived