This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hair Bleach, Shampoo, Conditioner...etc.

macadamia

macadamia Newbie

Hey everyone!

I just found out that I have celiac disease, and my biggest cosmetic concern is hair bleaching. I don't use any color, just bleach, but I do use a toner and a purple shampoo. Are there any brands out there (of bleach, toner, developer, and purple shampoo) that are definitely gluten-free? I normally use (used) Roux bleach, Super Star 30 (and 20) vol developer, Clairol Shimmer Lights, and Clairol Cream Toner 323D.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gemini Experienced

Hey everyone!

I just found out that I have celiac disease, and my biggest cosmetic concern is hair bleaching. I don't use any color, just bleach, but I do use a toner and a purple shampoo. Are there any brands out there (of bleach, toner, developer, and purple shampoo) that are definitely gluten-free? I normally use (used) Roux bleach, Super Star 30 (and 20) vol developer, Clairol Shimmer Lights, and Clairol Cream Toner 323D.

Thanks!

Unless you have a topical allergy to wheat or some other substance in these products, the use of shampoos or bleach should not affect Celiac Disease. You have to ingest these products to cause a reaction by your immune system and you definitely don't want to make a habit of ingesting bleach! :P Besides, I highly doubt there is anything harmful to Celiacs in the bleach anyway.

I color my hair once a month and use Framesi hair color and have been doing so for years and years. It did not impede my recovery at all. I am pretty sensitive and react to small amounts of anything wheat related yet I have never had a problem. I do not have any topical allergies, though.

• 5 years later...
Seraphim23 Newbie

Actually, that's not completely accurate. I was diagnosed with celiacs last summer and I didn't experience some recovery until I stopped using hair/makeup/skin products that contained gluten. 

Plus we digest quite a bit of hair through out our lives and we don't realize it.  

You forget to realize anytime you use a product with gluten it will leave residue. When it's windy sometimes I get my hair in my mouth. I touch my hair a lot as well and I was contaminating myself each time I touched my hair and then touched something else that went into my mouth (food,cigarette).  You can also inhale gluten particles and get sick from that.  Hell I got gluten sick from attending a kid party at a pizzeria because when I was newly diagnosed I forgot that  flour takes several hours to finish sifting through the air so everything I touched in that place had a slight film of gluten.  I can no longer join my friends to hang out at pizza places or bakeries because of it.  

celiacs - we don't all have the same symptoms or gluten reactions but that doesn't mean it isn't the case for someone else so we should all try to be careful when giving absolute type advice.   

There are some people who have celiacs that have no symptoms  or discomfort when ingesting gluten at all. Doesn't mean they arent further harming their immune system each time they do. 

Change to gluten free products and see if it helps you feel better. You know your body best.  

Gemini Experienced
45 minutes ago, Seraphim23 said:

Actually, that's not completely accurate. I was diagnosed with celiacs last summer and I didn't experience some recovery until I stopped using hair/makeup/skin products that contained gluten. 

Plus we digest quite a bit of hair through out our lives and we don't realize it.  

You forget to realize anytime you use a product with gluten it will leave residue. When it's windy sometimes I get my hair in my mouth. I touch my hair a lot as well and I was contaminating myself each time I touched my hair and then touched something else that went into my mouth (food,cigarette).  You can also inhale gluten particles and get sick from that.  Hell I got gluten sick from attending a kid party at a pizzeria because when I was newly diagnosed I forgot that  flour takes several hours to finish sifting through the air so everything I touched in that place had a slight film of gluten.  I can no longer join my friends to hang out at pizza places or bakeries because of it.  

celiacs - we don't all have the same symptoms or gluten reactions but that doesn't mean it isn't the case for someone else so we should all try to be careful when giving absolute type advice.   

There are some people who have celiacs that have no symptoms  or discomfort when ingesting gluten at all. Doesn't mean they arent further harming their immune system each time they do. 

Change to gluten free products and see if it helps you feel better. You know your body best.  

Actually, my advice was accurate.  Digest hair?  Maybe you do but I am pretty sure I do not digest hair.  My hair is somewhat short and doesn't blow into my mouth so maybe for people with longer hair who get it in their mouth on a regular basis, it might be prudent to screen hair products. You really only have to screen them if you get them in your mouth.....like in the shower when you are washing your hair. Those are things that should be self evident. I never eat shampoo because it tastes horrible.

The absolute type of advice given here is the advice from Celiac organizations and professionals so it is accurate. However, if you feel more comfortable screening everything, then go for it. But is it medically necessary from a scientific point of view....no.

The bakery/pizza place problem is common sense and we regularly caution people to watch for places where flour in the air is a problem. What that has got to do with shampoo, I don't know, but I only eat from dedicated bakeries myself and don't go into pizza parlors.

I strive to give people accurate, up to date information so they can relax and live their lives as a Celiac without fear. To tell people they need to go gluten free with everything in their lives is inaccurate. If they want to do so, that's another story.

• 8 months later...
NukeBurns Newbie

gluten-free purple shampoo....Shimmer Lights is gluten-free so your good there. I like Pravana (ALL the yucky stuff is gone including Sulfates and Parabens but its pricey), and TIGI Dumb Blonde has good reviews. I verified all these on Skin Safe (also has an app to scan barcodes which helps so much when shopping or checking products at home.) Skin safe is a pretty awesome tool for us Celiac's that have to also avoid gluten topically (yes this is a thing Gemini). Last thing you want to do to a DH rash is slather a gluten laden product on it. I've been dealing with a DH rash on scalp which is NO joke so finding gluten-free beauty and especially hair products has become a mission. Luckily many companies proudly label beauty products when they are gluten-free...and I don't think that's because they wanna give Celiac's the thumbs up to Eat them. I see that ignorant comment alot on Amazon but super surprised to see it here on a Celiac site. 

cyclinglady Grand Master
3 hours ago, NukeBurns said:

gluten-free purple shampoo....Shimmer Lights is gluten-free so your good there. I like Pravana (ALL the yucky stuff is gone including Sulfates and Parabens but its pricey), and TIGI Dumb Blonde has good reviews. I verified all these on Skin Safe (also has an app to scan barcodes which helps so much when shopping or checking products at home.) Skin safe is a pretty awesome tool for us Celiac's that have to also avoid gluten topically (yes this is a thing Gemini). Last thing you want to do to a DH rash is slather a gluten laden product on it. I've been dealing with a DH rash on scalp which is NO joke so finding gluten-free beauty and especially hair products has become a mission. Luckily many companies proudly label beauty products when they are gluten-free...and I don't think that's because they wanna give Celiac's the thumbs up to Eat them. I see that ignorant comment alot on Amazon but super surprised to see it here on a Celiac site. 

Unless your DH is scratched severely and bleeding, topical gluten is not going to trigger a celiac flare-up, even in DH patients.  I just heard this from Dr. Sheila Crowe (President of the American GI Association and celiac expert) at a recent lecture here in California.  Also, fellow celiac disease/DH suffer, Melinda Dennis, RDN, MS out of Harvard said the same thing.  It is a possibility that celiac disease can be triggered if you  “sing in the shower”.  They did recommend a gluten free lip product.  

That said, there are lots of chemicals that can surely make your DH worse.  Sometimes, it can be better mentally, not to worry or take great care.  Cosmetic manufacturers love jumping on the gluten free wagon.  They are not required by law to follow FDA regulations.  So do not count on a gluten free label (unless it has one of the celiac approved labels),  to be accurate.  Read the ingredients label.  It is unlikely that they test end products unless they are certified.   The financial bottom line trumps any compassion to celiacs in my marketing mind.  

I do use a gluten free shampoo and lipsticks.  My recent repeat  biopsy showed that I am healed!  

Gemini Experienced
3 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

Unless your DH is scratched severely and bleeding, topical gluten is not going to trigger a celiac flare-up, even in DH patients.  I just heard this from Dr. Sheila Crowe (President of the American GI Association and celiac expert) at a recent lecture here in California.  Also, fellow celiac disease/DH suffer, Melinda Dennis, RDN, MS out of Harvard said the same thing.  It is a possibility that celiac disease can be triggered if you  “sing in the shower”.  They did recommend a gluten free lip product.

I'm sure that even with stellar references such as these, there will be people who still won't believe this.  DH reactions are caused from within.....anything else could be a sensitivity or a topical allergic reaction....to any ingredient.

That said, there are lots of chemicals that can surely make your DH worse.  Sometimes, it can be better mentally, not to worry or take great care.  Cosmetic manufacturers love jumping on the gluten free wagon.  They are not required by law to follow FDA regulations.  So do not count on a gluten free label (unless it has one of the celiac approved labels),  to be accurate.  Read the ingredients label.  It is unlikely that they test end products unless they are certified.   The financial bottom line trumps any compassion to celiacs in my marketing mind.  

Good advice!

I do use a gluten free shampoo and lipsticks.  My recent repeat  biopsy showed that I am healed!  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

LilyR Rising Star

I am so thankful for this message board. I would never have thought to check my shampoo.  I have long hair and there are times i have woken up with one of my hairs in my mouth.  I wonder if that really could cause any issues?  Also, what about hair spray?  That in particular because it's such a fine mist, you tend to breathe some in when you spray.  This sure is a project, getting a handle on gluten.  But it's great coming here and finding out possible hidden sources I'd never have thought of on my own. 

Archived