This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Rice Rice & More Rice

maximoo

maximoo Enthusiast

Since rice is a staple for celiacs how about some recipes for different rice dishes like rice pilaf, fried rice, etc. I make a chicken curry flavored rice with chicken buillon & a little curry powder & salt. Its Ok but obviously get boring after a while. So chefs of the board lets get some rice recipes on here. Remember many of us are novices so I hope most are recipes are easy.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

I started similar post a while back. Maybe it will give you some new ideas:

bartfull Rising Star

One of my favorite ways to do rice is so simple, but delicious. I fry up a bunch of bacon, saute some sliced mushrooms in butter, then crumble the bacon into the rice, mix in the mushrooms, and if I'm feeling really decadent, add more butter. I have always served this as a side dish when cooking Mexican food and everybody always loves it.

I have always made my own refired beans too. After I'm done cooking the bacon, I throw some mashed beans into the bacon grease and cook them. (Yeah, it's a real cholesterol bomb!)

Then, I buy some anneheim chili's, either fresh or canned, stuff them with extra sharp white cheddar, dip them in corn meal and fry them.

Result: chile rellenos, refried beans, and the tastiest rice.

I'm not crazy about cooking, but this is one of my old standbys. Easy enough that even I don't mind cooking it!

Mizzo Enthusiast

My Indian friend makes this fantastic lemon rice if you google Indian recipes you will find it. I have made it without the mustard seeds, daal and cumin seeds and it was still very good.

Basically it's onion saut

T.H. Community Regular

Some really simple ones we've done:

1. Grated carrots or other veggies, added to white rice. Added either at the same time as the rice, if they need to cook longer, or just as it sits after the water has all been absorbed, when you are letting it sit for about 10 minutes or so.

2. Saute some chopped almonds in butter and mix through the rice just after the water is absorbed (including the butter leftover). Nice, nutty flavor. Some people I know add green raisins or cinnamon, too, when they are eating more middle eastern fare.

3. If you can find Thai black rice, this is a dessert rice. It's lovely if you mix cooked rice with pureed banana and dates (or raisins, in a pinch), and then bake it. Turns out like a nice rice pudding, essentially. Lots of recipes for desserts made out of this, if you look up Thai recipes.

4. Fry dry, uncooked rice in oil for a while before cooking in water. It changes the texture of the rice, and if you add spices with the oil, can also have some different flavors. Works well on red rice (like the type often eaten in Peru), especially.

5. Look at Jamaican recipes for rices with fruit sauces to go with pork or plantains. A real tasty one I've seen is pork with rice that had an orange/tamari based sauce mixed into it. Really yummy!

6. Rice balls are something else that can at least mix things up. These are made from sushi rice - you need to soak the rice 1-6 hours before cooking, if you want rice balls. Then cook, let the rice cool, dip your hands in water, coat with salt, and form a rice ball in your hands. Fillings of fish, meat, and fruit are common, and often the rice ball has some seaweed wrapped around the outside to help hold it, although that's not required. These keep well and are good travel foods, if not filled with meat.

Hawthorn Rookie

Experiment!

I like to fry up cumin seed, black onion seed, onion, mushroom, sweetcorn and peas in butter, add the rice and coat, add the water then chuck in a bit of salt, pepper, tomato puree and a pinch of turmeric and paprika.

My only rule when cooking rice, is to use 1 part rice, to 1.5 parts water. Bring to the boil, simmer until the water is just below the level of the rice then leave to stand until the water is absorbed. Keep a lid on at all times and stir through quickly just before leaving to stand. Everything else is pure throw in and pray :lol:

I haven't mastered fried rice yet though it has to be said. I end up with a sticky burned mess ;)

Simona19 Collaborator

Experiment!

I like to fry up cumin seed, black onion seed, onion, mushroom, sweetcorn and peas in butter, add the rice and coat, add the water then chuck in a bit of salt, pepper, tomato puree and a pinch of turmeric and paprika.

My only rule when cooking rice, is to use 1 part rice, to 1.5 parts water. Bring to the boil, simmer until the water is just below the level of the rice then leave to stand until the water is absorbed. Keep a lid on at all times and stir through quickly just before leaving to stand. Everything else is pure throw in and pray :lol:

I haven't mastered fried rice yet though it has to be said. I end up with a sticky burned mess ;)

Hi!

I would like to give you advice. When roasting vegetable use oil instead of butter. Butter would burn after some time on stove.

The rule for cooking rice is. 1 part of rice - 1 cup and 2 parts of water- 2 cups of water (sometimes even more. It depends on hove you like your rice to be.) I'm not covering my rice, but you can. You just need to lover the heat on low medium. You can stir rice occasionally, 3-4 times durring all time of cooking. Rice should turn out perfectly.

Here is my rice recipe:

Meat risotto:

1 medium onion

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

luvs2eat Collaborator

I love risotto! It's so easy to make and who doesn't love sticky, cheesy rice? I follow a basic recipe and add veggies. YUM!!

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

I've found that the brown Minute Rice makes a very good stir fry. It's not as sticky as regular rice, and is lower in carbs.

I also use a large well seasoned cast iron fry pan. It adds a subtle wonderful flavor.

My cast iron pan had been shoved to the back of the cupboard and had been sitting for years while I used Teflon instead. I pulled it out and am amazed at how much I like it!

freeatlast Collaborator

We made this last winter. Very good! Cooked it on the stovetop.

COCONUT BROWN RICE

My brother and I used to tease my father that he had a lifetime subscription to Somewhere Magazine. Whenever we asked him where he had read a statistic that proved his point, or a story that seemed too far-fetched to be true, he always said, "Oh, somewhere."

Karma's coming back. I cannot for the life of me remember where I read the tip recently that soaking brown rice for at least an hour makes it far more fluffy and less "good-for-you" tasting. Somewhere. Still, you should do this too. Somewhere Magazine was right.

The directions here are for a rice cooker. That's how we cook our rice now. I haven't made a pot of rice on the stove in at least 3 years. If you would like to make this on the stove, then use whatever method you traditionally use.

Or buy a rice cooker.

2 cups brown basmati rice

1/2 can (7 ounces) coconut milk

juice of 1 medium-sized lime

2 tablespoons coconut oil

1/2 teaspoon Madras curry powder

1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1 teaspoon cracked black pepper

Soaking the rice. Soak the rice in 4 cups of cool, fresh water. Let it sit for at least 1 hour, preferably longer, if you can. This helps to remove some of the starchiness from the rice. Pour the rice into a large strainer, draining out all the water.

Cooking the rice. Pour the rice into the rice cooker. Add the coconut milk, lime juice, coconut oil, curry powder, ginger, salt, and pepper. Stir it all well. Add 3 1/2 cups cool, fresh water. Stir it all up. Close the lid. Turn the rice cooker to the brown rice setting, then turn it on.

When the rice cooker says it is done cooking, you may eat.

POSTED BY SHAUNA AT 4:46 PM

love2travel Mentor

I love risotto! It's so easy to make and who doesn't love sticky, cheesy rice? I follow a basic recipe and add veggies. YUM!!

Me, too. I make about 25 kinds. Last night we had black garlic wild mushroom risotto with fresh herbs. Other favourites include roasted butternut squash, roasted tomato, Milanese, red wine and mushroom, chocolate...

Archived