tennisman

Celiac Disease ?

Rate this topic

So the other day when talking about Celiac Disease I was interrupted . The person said Celiac Disease that's not a disease and they said it in a nasty way . This person doesn't have Celiac Disease and doesn't know much about it . Yet they told me Celiac Disease is not a disease and acted like it wasn's even an illness and wasn't bad as they eat gluten foods in front of me and said how nice it was . I felt angry at this comment I mean wtf does a non Celiac know about living with Celiac Disease. I feel Celiac Disease is so underated :(

So the other day when talking about Celiac Disease I was interrupted . The person said Celiac Disease that's not a disease and they said it in a nasty way . This person doesn't have Celiac Disease and doesn't know much about it . Yet they told me Celiac Disease is not a disease and acted like it wasn's even an illness and wasn't bad as they eat gluten foods in front of me and said how nice it was . I felt angry at this comment I mean wtf does a non Celiac know about living with Celiac Disease. I feel Celiac Disease is so underated :(

Looks like I have to start a celiac disease fight club. Let me know who wants to fight me about celiac disease.

I don't think I would be much good at fighting, but I am an excellent cheer leader!

As with many things in life, we sometimes have to just consider the source and walk away. If you can't walk away, have a few good one line zingers ready.

• Upvote 2

That is rude beyond belief. Ugh! Ignorance is rampant.

People can be real idiots. Sorry this person was such a jerk to you.

Celiac is greatly misunderstood--even in the medical community. :blink: So, the "average joe" is clueless. Is this person a friend, co-worker, family? if so, maybe they need to be educated about celiac disease?

OR---

we could send Richard over to kick some butt :) )

OR-- :)

You COULD say...."Celiac IS a disease, but I know how to treat it by eating gluten-free....unfortunately, I think your stupidity is incurable." <_<

That should do it. ;)

• Upvote 3

You COULD say...."Celiac IS a disease, but I know how to treat it by eating gluten-free....unfortunately, I think your stupidity is incurable." <_<

:lol::lol::lol:

• Upvote 1

I would have replied, "Oh really? When did you go to Medical school?"

Not that drs. know a lot about it but I'm assuming this person is not your dr since they are eating in front of you. Tennisman, did you ever find any relief from your symptoms? Or are they still thinking it's refractory celiac? If I were you and these people lived with me I would suspect my food was being tampered with. It has happened to other people here.

• Upvote 1

Thanks everyone for the replies and advice :)

• Upvote 1

Celiac is greatly misunderstood--even in the medical community. :blink: So, the "average joe" is clueless. Is this person a friend, co-worker, family? if so, maybe they need to be educated about celiac disease?

OR---

That should do it. ;)

I like "Celiac IS a disease, but I know how to treat it by eating gluten-free....unfortunately, I think your stupidity is incurable." if anyone says anything bad too me about celiac disease again I will reply with this :D

• Upvote 1

I would have replied, "Oh really? When did you go to Medical school?"

Not that drs. know a lot about it but I'm assuming this person is not your dr since they are eating in front of you. Tennisman, did you ever find any relief from your symptoms? Or are they still thinking it's refractory celiac? If I were you and these people lived with me I would suspect my food was being tampered with. It has happened to other people here.

That would be a great reply :)

I still have stomach problems , I have to have a small bowel mri scan and some blood tests . But since refractory was mentioned I have taken advice from here :) And cut out a lot of processed foods. Also I have not eaten out anywhere , but had no real improvements. I tried cutting dairy out again for a few weeks and think I have improved a little. But I had some dairy this week and it didn't really make the pain worse. I don't normally eat with this person it's just a one off. That's terrible people have had there food tampered with :(

I still have stomach problems , I have to have a small bowel mri scan and some blood tests . But since refractory was mentioned I have taken advice from here :) And cut out a lot of processed foods. Also I have not eaten out anywhere , but had no real improvements. I tried cutting dairy out again for a few weeks and think I have improved a little. But I had some dairy this week and it didn't really make the pain worse. I don't normally eat with this person it's just a one off. That's terrible people have had there food tampered with :(

I hope your testing turns up something. And even if you are not feeling better yet maybe you will turn a corner soon. Just avoid the idiot that doesn't know what celiac disease is. ;)

I hope your testing turns up something. And even if you are not feeling better yet maybe you will turn a corner soon. Just avoid the idiot that doesn't know what celiac disease is. ;)

Thanks , hopefully things improve soon :) I will do :D

• Upvote 1

OR---

That should do it. ;)

Priceless :D:lol:

I will keep these suggestion in mind :D

• Upvote 1

Have you tried cutting soy out of your diet?? It made such a difference for me when I eliminated soy from my diet .

Hope your feeling better soon :)

• Upvote 1

Have you tried cutting soy out of your diet?? It made such a difference for me when I eliminated soy from my diet .

Hope your feeling better soon :)

I was advised on here to cut soy out , but when I checked all the foods I eat only 1 product had soy in and I very rarely ate that product so don't really have any soy to cut out. I'm glad eliminating soy helped you :)

That's just awful!! It is not recognized like it should be. I think people just think it's a food allergy and that's it. Let me know who it was and I'll kick some butt too!!

That's just awful!! It is not recognized like it should be. I think people just think it's a food allergy and that's it. Let me know who it was and I'll kick some butt too!!

Looks like Richard has another recruit for his "fight club" :lol: ...go, kimbalou!!!

It's a shame celiac disease is not recognized like it should be :( I have had more than 1 doctor say all you have is a food allergy . Hopefully one day people will understand celiac disease better , Thanks :)

I think if people knew the health risks if you are coeliac and don't cut out gluten, then they'd realise just how serious it is!