color_me_confused

Baked Mac & Cheese

Rate this topic

Last night I took my favorite baked macaroni & cheese recipe and gluten-free'd it. It microwaves well for lunch @ work.

Here is the original recipe: Alton Brown's baked macaroni and cheese

My substitutions:

wheat flour --> King Arthur all purpose gluten-free flour

wheat pasta --> Hodgson Mills brown rice & flax elbows (the only gluten-free elbows I could find. I slightly undercooked them before baking).

wheat bread crumbs --> 4 slices of Udi's gluten-free bread in a food processor on high makes perfectly good bread crumbs.

that was it. Otherwise I followed the directions as presented, except for the bay leaf since I never have those on hand. I used 8 oz extra sharp Cabot brand cheddar, 4 oz sharp cheddar.

Result: EXCELLENT, tastes just like I remember! The textures etc. are spot on.

Thanks for posting this! I've printed it out. Sheesh, here it's breakfast time and I'm hungry for Mac 'n Cheese!!! :lol:

Thanks for posting this! I've printed it out. Sheesh, here it's breakfast time and I'm hungry for Mac 'n Cheese!!! :lol:

I've managed a dinner, and two lunches out of the batch...and there's enough for breakfast tomorrow!

Next time I make this (and it'll be soon!) I may have to try frying some. I'll do the same substitutions.