MNMAC

Side Dishes

Rate this topic

I could use your help with ideas for new side dishes I can try. I have always been a meat and potatoes guy b4gf and still enjoy my steaks, chicken, turkey..., but am growing tired of the same sides, (rice,3-4 days a week, potatoes 2-3 days a week) and maybe oreida fries or gluten-free pasta (very $$) once in a while. I also have my share of veggies and fruit throughout the day. I know this is the place to get answers and would very much appreciate any ideas. Thanks.

I could use your help with ideas for new side dishes I can try. I have always been a meat and potatoes guy b4gf and still enjoy my steaks, chicken, turkey..., but am growing tired of the same sides, (rice,3-4 days a week, potatoes 2-3 days a week) and maybe oreida fries or gluten-free pasta (very $$) once in a while. I also have my share of veggies and fruit throughout the day. I know this is the place to get answers and would very much appreciate any ideas. Thanks.

Summer is here (unless you're down under) and you have lots to choose from. Do you have a farmers market near? We have snap beans (southern for string beans), butter beans, field peas, may peas, acorn squash, yellow squash, zucchini, broccoli, to name a few. Chef salads, with deviled eggs with left over grilled meat. And.... my all time favorite, corn on the cob, off the cob, bbq'd, creamed, grilled, in your salad, in salsa...heck, in ANYTHING.

Fresh fruit salads. OH did I mention I love fresh local corn!?

And check out the recipe thread or "What are you cooking tonight" thread...lots of options.

It sounds like you are trying to fill the starch portion of the plate, right?

beans & lentils: baked beans, three bean salad, lentil salad, greek giant beans (gigantes, usually in tomato sauce), refried beans, etc

grains: quinoa (try a pilaf, or salad), buckwheat (kasha is usually readily available, or whole groats), polenta, millet (easiest to make as a porrige like polenta), hominy, creamed corn, risotto, wild rice, homemade cornbread

starchy veg: sweet potatoes, white potatoes, turnips, parsnips, winter squash/pumpkin, plaintain, green papaya

That's my list for now. Do you need actual recipes, or just brainstorming?

just brainstorming. Yes, looking for more cals in my diet as I am looking to gain a few pounds after losing alot b4 going gluten-free. thankyou for your responses!