stephsand75

Homemade Flour

Rate this topic

I am ready to begin making my own flour for baking gluten-free. I can't afford a vitamix and have read that a food processor will do the trick, but I have no idea what type of food processor to get. they range in price so I'm sure they range in quality as well. Can anyone offer some advice?

Thanks

I don't like making flour in my food processor. It's messy, hard on the bowl, and it tends to feel like it takes forever to get really fine flour as opposed to slightly gritty meal. I'd look for a hand cranked mill instead-- it's roughly the same cost as a really good food processor.

Lacking that, I'll make small amounts of flour (like 1/4 to 1/2 c) in a coffee grinder.

I am ready to begin making my own flour for baking gluten-free. I can't afford a vitamix and have read that a food processor will do the trick, but I have no idea what type of food processor to get. they range in price so I'm sure they range in quality as well. Can anyone offer some advice?

Thanks

Love my Nutrimill. I don't know how much a Vitamix is, but you can get the nutrimills for about 250. They can grind super fine. Might check it out!

Low tech:

nuts can be ground in a blender

buckwheat can be ground in a coffee grinder

Have you ever heard of the Lehman's catalogue ? They're a blast:

http://www.lehmans.com/store/Kitchen___Grain_and_Grain_Mills?Args=&view_all=&sort_by=

Do you ever grind hazelnuts? Finally saw some hazelnut flour at Whole Foods. $13.99/pkg. Ouch! Not buying that anytime soon. Trader Joe's, perhaps? Not last time I checked.