Rate this topic

Hi all, Can anyone tell me if the gluten free multi-purpose flour is the same as the gluten-free all Purpose flour ? I just can't see buying 5 different bags of flour, I did recently purchase a bag of multi-purpose for $ 20 ( ugh ) but some of the recipes I have came across say all purpose? I am so Corn-Fused :rolleyes:

Thank you for any help it's greatly appreciated !

Hi all, Can anyone tell me if the gluten free multi-purpose flour is the same as the gluten-free all Purpose flour ? I just can't see buying 5 different bags of flour, I did recently purchase a bag of multi-purpose for $ 20 ( ugh ) but some of the recipes I have came across say all purpose? I am so Corn-Fused :rolleyes:

Thank you for any help it's greatly appreciated !

I'd say they're probably basically the same thing except, of course, that each manufactuer has their own blend of flours and starches. Some already contain xanthan gum and others do not. What brand of flour did you buy?

I'd say they're probably basically the same thing except, of course, that each manufactuer has their own blend of flours and starches. Some already contain xanthan gum and others do not. What brand of flour did you buy?

Pamelas baking and pancake mix. It's a multi-purpose

Pamela's Baking & Pancake Mix is not the same as all-purpose gluten-free flour. It really is a mix and I absolutely love it! One of my favorite products. I buy it on the subscribe-and-save plan on Amazon (6 bags at a time although mine are the smaller bags).

Have you used it yet? Besides making pancakes and muffins, it is my go to mix for making delicious banana bread. There are lots of recipes on her website.

I buy a few bags of Pamela's Pancake mix every month and although I keep meaning to use it for other things it always gets used up making pancakes. It really does make the best pancakes.

I like Namaste Flour Blend for my AP flour but I've started mixing my own as well.

For what it's worth, 5 bags of flour isn't a lot for a gluten free kitchen. I have several different store bought flour blends/mixes (various varieties of Pamela's, Namaste, Kinnikinnick and Gluten Free Pantry) and at least 15 individual types of flours/starches for mixing my own blends (rice, brown rice, glutinous rice, amaranth, sorghum, corn starch, potato starch, potato flour, tapioca starch, arrowroot starch, corn flour, masa harina, almond meal and I know there are a few more in there).

You will learn what you like and need over time.

The labels intend to mean roughly the same thing, a type of gluten free flour blend that is alleged to be able to work as a substitute for wheat flour..... but.....

they are all different, and they don't really all sub exactly one - for - one the same way.

Just as there is bread wheat flour and cake flour and whole wheat flour, these blends are going to react a bit differently, depending on what the mixture is, higher in starch or protein, and what the recipe is. Plus, they make take more or less liquid, and need to bake at a higher or lower temperature. Some people have studied this, and can explain the theory of starch proportions in better detail, like at the Gluten free Girl blog.

Plus, the reason some of us have more than one bag of gluten free flour, besides liking to experiment, is that we are either disliking something in the blends, or allergic to something in the blends, or we are not good with high starch content, or we have recipes that call for certain characteristics.

If I had to recommend a starter bag, I'd go with the Pamela's, it tastes pretty good and is versatile, if you can handle all the ingredients in it.

A lot of people don't like the Bob's general all purpose, because it has bean flour in it. This stuff needs to be refrigerated in storage, or it goes rank tasting. I don't mind garbanzo flour, but I make my own mixes with it.

I use a lot of higher protein content, whole grain, seed, or nut types. These bake at lower temperatures. And I don't like flax very much at all, while other people seem to think it's tasty, which puzzles me, but then again, I put garbanzo bean flour in things.

Some brands have a good blend, but then you have to use just their recipes.

If you find a flour blend that you can have then it has to work well for that particular recipe.

Like Tom Sawyer gluten free flour mix has gelatin in it and works better for us because it has to be egg free too. The gelatin helps hold the recipe together even though I am using a different substitute for the egg. (gelatin can be used as an egg substitute)

Yup I've got soo many different things around here for gluten free baking it's crazy. It really is a lot of experimenting and experience. Sometimes the first thing I do with new recipes is take a bite sized piece and mash it to check consistency. Then I take some and freeze and thaw it to see how it holds up.