This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Well, I Never...

chasbari

chasbari Apprentice

Been feeling pretty good lately and haven't been hanging around here much. I have managed to get things in the food department down to a pretty regular and dependable routine and have added more raw foods. Some may think this is dangerous but I have found that it is solving a number of issues for me. I have added raw dairy and raw eggs to the mix and have been thriving. Only setback occurred Tuesday. I was fixing my dinner. I typically have around a pound or so of ground beef at dinner along with a dish of steamed veggie mix of brussels sprouts, turnip, mustard or collard greens, cauliflower and sauerkraut. I pour the drippings from the ground beef onto the veggie mix as I am trying to add as much fat into the diet. It has helped healing tremendously.

Tuesday, as I was finishing my dinner I thought it strange that I seemed to be tasting corn, which I cannot tolerate. I thought I was imagining things but, there at the bottom of my veggie dish were three kernels of corn. Turns out they were in the bag of frozen brussels sprouts and had been steamed with the rest of the veggies undetected. By late evening I had lost my voice and when I woke up Wednesday I was having neurological issues and my RA was flaring up for the first time in nearly a year. I never thought I would have to worry about cross contamination from a frozen bag of veggies. I guess you can never let your guard down.. ever.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mommida Enthusiast

We just had a bag of frozen veggies it tasted like dirt. I looked back in the baking dish and sure enough it looked like it was speckled with dirt.

YUCK!

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Ew! Write to the manufacturer (both of you actually). To the OP, even if you didn't have any problems with corn that is a major quality control prblem at that company.

Mizzo Enthusiast

can you let us know the brands you had the problems with, as we can look out for it ourselves , thanks.

chasbari Apprentice

Just got off the phone with the distributor. Topco. Says it's a product of Canada. I am waiting to hear back from their consumer representative. Purchased at Click's here in North Canton and is Food Club Brand. I gave them the lot number and other info. I am curious as to what they will do with the info. There were four pieces of corn in the bag. I checked the next bag by dumping the contents and didn't find anything so I went ahead and ate from those. I know I will be double checking everything ... again... love the food paranoia!

Skylark Collaborator

Oh, wow. That's terrible. :(

chasbari Apprentice

Consumer affairs representative called me and was very apologetic and offered any help with any difficulties I might encounter. They were in touch with the processor and have no reasonable explanation for how it happened. I just expressed that I was concerned that someone more sensitive than me might have a much more serious reaction. She had never heard of celiac before and was curious. I did some quick educating! I told her not to be surprised if she ended up hearing about it a half dozen times next week now that she is at least curious about it. I am satisfied with Topco's very quick response and concern.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mommida Enthusiast

The dirt bag of veggies was a product of Mexico distributed by Meijer's.

Now I'm just hoping it was dirt. :blink:

chasbari Apprentice

The dirt bag of veggies was a product of Mexico distributed by Meijer's.

Now I'm just hoping it was dirt. :blink:

Eewwwwwwww! :o

Archived