CarolinaKip

Stuffed Cabbage Recipe?

Rate this topic

Thought I'd google one and see. Does anyone have a favorite? I'm planning on using ground lean turkey meat. Thanks

I need it to be tomato free as well, so I'm running into roadblocks.

I make mine in the slow cooker. I don't really have a recipe. Here is what I do:

Ground lean meat (turkey, chicken, 90% lean beef)

1 cup cooked rice (leftover cold is best)

1 large egg

1 small onion, finely chopped

2-3 cloved garlic, minced

1 tablespoon Itailian seasoning (I do'nt even measure so I'm guessing on the amount)

1 teaspoon kosher salt (my estimate-if using table salt use much less or leave out)

1/8 teaspoon black pepper (another estimate--no more than 1/4 teaspoon or it will be too strong)

1 head cabbage

1 jar favorite spaghetti sauce (I like Prego original)

Mix the raw meat, rice, egg, veggies and seasonings well. You may need to use your hands to get it good and mixed like you would mix a meatloaf.

Take the head of cabbage, carefully peel off the leaves and either steam them on the stove or put in a casserole with 1/2 cup of water in the microwave for about 2 minutes. Once they are done and cool enough to handle you can fill with stuffing, place seam side down in the crockpot. If you have enoguh rols that you need to stack two rolls high add some sauce before startign the second row. When all your rolls are in the slow cooker cover with remainign sauce and don't throw away the jar. Take about 1/4 cup of water put it in thr jar, put the lid on and swish it around to get every last bit of sauce then pour it over the rolls. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.

***I make mine dairy free but you can add parmesan cheese (about 1/4 cup) to the meat filling and top with mozzarella or any cheese you like) I also sometimes will add bell peppers or other chopped veggies.

I need it to be tomato free as well, so I'm running into roadblocks.

Sorry I posted without seeing this. Can you eat red bell peppers or are you off of all nightshades?

After thinking about it I think it would work just as well to use the recipe I posted but use a cup of chicken broth in place of the spaghetti sauce. It will have a different flavor but the result would be the same as far as cooking the cabbage rolls through. If you can have red peppers I would make a sauce out of roasted red peppers and try that for more flavorful cabbage rolls.

Sorry, me again. :) After some research I discovered that the Hungarian version of cabbage rolls uses saurkaut and no tomato. So perhaps that would work for you. Here is a recipe that got good reviews:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/cabbage-rolls-iii/detail.aspx

I really like cabbage rolls. Now I will have to try them this way some time.

Thank you for all the suggestions, I'm going to try yours with chicken broth. I love the sauerkraut,but not sure my son would eat it. Sounds good though. Thanks, this is whats for dinner tomorrow!

After thinking about it I think it would work just as well to use the recipe I posted but use a cup of chicken broth in place of the spaghetti sauce. It will have a different flavor but the result would be the same as far as cooking the cabbage rolls through. If you can have red peppers I would make a sauce out of roasted red peppers and try that for more flavorful cabbage rolls.

I have been off all nightshades until a month ago and I can handle white potato ewvery now and then. I have not tried anyother.

Thank you for all the suggestions, I'm going to try yours with chicken broth. I love the sauerkraut,but not sure my son would eat it. Sounds good though. Thanks, this is whats for dinner tomorrow!

Sounds good! I hope your son likes them.

I don't have a cabbage roll recipe, but a casserole recipe.

This recipe does not have tomatoes, but instead calls for cream of mushroom soup. I have found some gluten free brands of cream of mushroom in the past. I guess you could substitute corn chex or rice chex for the bread crumb topping...I haven' made this in a while (as you can tell) Pre-gluten free it was one of my favorite meals in the winter time...

Cabbage Casserole

Ingredients:

1 small head cabbage, chopped

2 pounds ground beef

onion, bell pepper, etc.

2 cans cream of mushroom soup

1 pound of Velveeta cheese

1-cup breadcrumbs

Directions:

Chop and boil cabbage for 20 minutes or until

tender and drain well. Brown ground beef with

seasonings (onion, bell pepper). Add cream

of mushroom soup (undiluted) to browned ground beef.

Mix cabbage and ground beef mixture together.

Slice Velveeta cheese into