This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is Arrowhead Mills Gluten Free Maple Buckwheat Cereal Ok?

dws

dws Contributor

I know this topic may belong under the food section of the forum, but I wanted to ask the super sensitive crowd if any of you have had any luck with this cereal. I seem to do ok with some of the Erewhon cereals, but I am looking for some variety. Haven't done well with Rice Chex or Enjoy Life Cereals. I am currently avoiding corn also. Maple Buckwheat just sounds so good when you have been stuck on rice cereals. Any other suggestions? I know we should avoid processed foods, but cereal is a real weakness of mine.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

WinterSong Community Regular

You should just call them. They were very nice when I called to ask them about their gluten free buckwheat flour because it didn't say on the package if it was made in a facility that produces wheat. The woman was very helpful and said that it is made in the same facility but that they are very careful and clean everything really well. "We are very, VERY serious when we say that something is gluten free."

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I think the best one I could find was Pocono's cream of buckwheat, but I don't eat that anymore.

dws Contributor

I think the best one I could find was Pocono's cream of buckwheat, but I don't eat that anymore.

How come you stopped eating it? Did it give you problems?

dws Contributor

You should just call them. They were very nice when I called to ask them about their gluten free buckwheat flour because it didn't say on the package if it was made in a facility that produces wheat. The woman was very helpful and said that it is made in the same facility but that they are very careful and clean everything really well. "We are very, VERY serious when we say that something is gluten free."

I did email them. Probably won't hear back from them til after the 4th. I am a little concerned abuot their products due to what I have seen at another site. Some people test products on their own and some of the Arrowhead Mills products, including the buckwheat flour did not do so well at testing for 10ppm. No one at that site has tested the cereal I am curious about.

shayre Enthusiast

I know this topic may belong under the food section of the forum, but I wanted to ask the super sensitive crowd if any of you have had any luck with this cereal. I seem to do ok with some of the Erewhon cereals, but I am looking for some variety. Haven't done well with Rice Chex or Enjoy Life Cereals. I am currently avoiding corn also. Maple Buckwheat just sounds so good when you have been stuck on rice cereals. Any other suggestions? I know we should avoid processed foods, but cereal is a real weakness of mine.

I just bought this cereal an hour ago to try, as I've not seen it before. Oh my gosh...I hope that it's okay. I already got glutened today with a new product. Let me know how you all handle it!!!!!!!!!

How come you stopped eating it? Did it give you problems?

Yes, but I am extremely sensitive and many things that other super sensitives can eat, I can't. You might be able to tolerate it still.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dws Contributor

I just bought this cereal an hour ago to try, as I've not seen it before. Oh my gosh...I hope that it's okay. I already got glutened today with a new product. Let me know how you all handle it!!!!!!!!!

I'll let you know how it goes if I try it. I'm not knocking Arrowhead mills in particular. Many processed gluten free foods have enough gluten to cause some of us problems. To be honest, for me eating a little of the cereal not very often probably will not effect me too badly. I think a good stategy for some is to eat fresh, non-processed food most of the time and to make sure that if we stray towards processed food, limit the amount you take in. We all just have to figure out where our threshold is and accept the fact that our thresholds do change over time. It can be very frustrating since it is like trying to hit a moving target. What used to work for me 5 years ago definitely doesn't work now.

• 3 weeks later...
dws Contributor

I did hear back from arrowhead mills. They test to 10ppm. I had already tried the cereal anyway and seemed to do ok. I do limit the amount I eat since it is processed food.
  • 2 weeks later...
shayre Enthusiast

I did hear back from arrowhead mills. They test to 10ppm. I had already tried the cereal anyway and seemed to do ok. I do limit the amount I eat since it is processed food.

I tried it too. I don't think that I did well with it. I tried it twice, and both times I think that I had mild effects. I will not eat it again. However, I always second guess myself and think that maybe it was something else.

• 2 weeks later...
dws Contributor

I tried it too. I don't think that I did well with it. I tried it twice, and both times I think that I had mild effects. I will not eat it again. However, I always second guess myself and think that maybe it was something else.

I sometimes wonder about the rice milk. I have switched from Rice Dream to Good Karma. What do you use with your cereal?

It's easy to make your own rice milk.

dws Contributor

It's easy to make your own rice milk.

What's the recipe? or maybe a link to a recipe.

T.H. Community Regular

It's really super easy, and cheap as can be (first time we get to hear that about gluten-free food, huh? ;) ).

1 cup brown rice and 8 cups water - put in a pot. Bring to a boil. Simmer for 3 hours. It should turn out like a kind of slurry.

Get a blender. fill it half with clean water from the tap, the other half with some of the rice slurry.

Blend like crazy.

Strain it through a cheesecloth, or pour twice through a wire mesh. store in a clean jar in the fridge.

Do the same with the remaining slurry until there's none left.

And that's the rice milk.

It is usually about twice as thick as normal rice milk, so many people thin it out before using. It will last about 5-7 days, I'm told. And some people will add oil and/or sweeteners just before blending, to help with texture and taste.

You can google rice milk recipe for lots of different ways to make it.

Archived