Scott Adams

Celiac research may bring alternatives to the gluten-free diet - Florida Times-Union (blog)

Rate this topic

Celiac research may bring alternatives to the gluten-free diet

Florida Times-Union (blog)

According to Dr. Stefano Guandalini of the University of Chicago's Celiac Disease Center, a recent study in the United Kingdom found that 43 percent of people on a gluten-free diet rated their satisfaction as "poor" or "very poor," with 35 percent ...

View the full article

Just what we do not need. Another male business writer (who probably doesn't cook) who is only six months into a gluten free diet and quoting foreign studies which support his point of view that gluten free food isn't supposedly as good as all the junk food he was scarfing down before. And as if the British gluten-free food manufacturers/ suppliers don't use that dreadful codex wheat starch. Oh, and there's the obligatory quote from the registered dietician about lack of nutrients.

Meh.

I'd have to agree with you, Takala.

Kind of depressing. I have only been gluten-free for about 4 months.

I don't feel FORCED into a gluten-free diet. I feel lucky that is all I have to do to heal myself.

I am not dissatisfied with my diet. I have lots of options and variety. (I do miss some things but...) I am able to find lots of gluten-free junk food.

I do not feel like my life is less because of my diet.

I feel like it takes more planning but otherwise is no big deal. Lots of can't eat this so I'll eat that.

They need to be more creative ;)

The only things we had to change were the bread cereal and pasta really then the flours of course but I've always made our food at home and we use mostly fresh fruit and veg anyway which are naturally gluten free so we haven't had to change all that much. Most of our meals were gluten free apart from the pasta. Yes it means calling ahead if we eat out somewhere but that's no big deal I had to do that anyway at new places to make sure they had a vegan option. I've had to cut out the vegan sausages and that's the only thing without a gluten free alternative. I've always used Orgran brand for packaged snacks anyway because they are vegan and they also happen to be gluten free.

Jungle and come dance with me-

Yes!

In my opinion, if you have to get stuck with an auto immune disease anyway, this one is the most tolerable as most of us can relieve many of the symptoms by just eating a bit differently and removing one grain species. Compared to being treated with medications that have serious side effects, becoming completely disabled, or dying from the complications of the disease itself, a piece of sorghum cake !