Macbre

Other Allergies After Being Diagnosed

Rate this topic

I am so frustrated and confused.... I have been gluten free since Dec. of this year and now I'm developing other food allergies, (ex. shellfish, spinach, almond milk, but not almonds). I also had a reaction similar to an asthma attack last night about 3 hours after I cut my grass. I was lying down watching TV and I started coughing because my throat felt scratchy and then my chest started feeling tight. Soon after my throat got tight and I felt like I couldn't swallow. I immediately got up and took Benadryl. Then my stomach got upset. My husband thinks it was an anxiety attack, but I wasn't anxious about anything, I was relaxing. Is this normal? I'm waiting for an appt. with an allergist, but in the meantime I'm finding myself taking Benadryl to relieve the symptoms. I did get glutened recently and I do notice a change in my breathing when I get glutened, but it usually takes about 24-48hrs for my symptoms to appear. I have gone from just getting hives when I eat spinach or shellfish to now having an itchy throat with hives in my throat.

I have never had asthma or had to be concerned about food allergies. Why all of the sudden am I developing this? I would think it would get better as you heal. I don't have the pain that I used to have under my ribs so I know my intestines are healing.

My diet is already restricted enough and now I have to restrict it more. This is getting frustrating. Has anyone else had these issues?

I am so frustrated and confused.... I have been gluten free since Dec. of this year and now I'm developing other food allergies, (ex. shellfish, spinach, almond milk, but not almonds). I also had a reaction similar to an asthma attack last night about 3 hours after I cut my grass. I was lying down watching TV and I started coughing because my throat felt scratchy and then my chest started feeling tight. Soon after my throat got tight and I felt like I couldn't swallow. I immediately got up and took Benadryl. Then my stomach got upset. My husband thinks it was an anxiety attack, but I wasn't anxious about anything, I was relaxing. Is this normal? I'm waiting for an appt. with an allergist, but in the meantime I'm finding myself taking Benadryl to relieve the symptoms. I did get glutened recently and I do notice a change in my breathing when I get glutened, but it usually takes about 24-48hrs for my symptoms to appear. I have gone from just getting hives when I eat spinach or shellfish to now having an itchy throat with hives in my throat.

I have never had asthma or had to be concerned about food allergies. Why all of the sudden am I developing this? I would think it would get better as you heal. I don't have the pain that I used to have under my ribs so I know my intestines are healing.

My diet is already restricted enough and now I have to restrict it more. This is getting frustrating. Has anyone else had these issues?

While my reactions were/are not exactly like yours, they are alike enough to make me think you might have a salicylate problem. I would check it out if I were you. There is info on the internet about it. Later on I will send you some sites. The benedryl, seafood, almond milk, spinach and hives are big clues... Are you intolerant of aspirin per chance?? The symptoms sound serious and should not be ignored.

Bea

OK--PS--here's an excellent site with a great forum on salicylate sensitivity: http://salicylatesensitivity.com

You should also check out Sue Dengate's site on allergies. Just Google her site and it should come up.

Good luck--and let me/us know how it turns out.

YES!!!!! what the h is this all about????? i only had ONE allergic type reaction in my entire life!- pre-puberty, i had a weird hives thing after swimming in a cold pool, and another time in a cold room- this was 2x in one week- my mom assumed it was the penicillin i was on.

then- after 37 years i go 100% gluten free-> (july 1, 1010)- and i have all of a sudden developed an allergy to raw carrots!!!! its ridiculous. also, 1 time i had a similar reaction to butternut squash.. and then a month ago i had the same reaction to raw orange colored tomato... it's very very strange.. i hope that's it..cause i totally agree- can only handle so many restrictions. all of my food intolerances are enuf :/

When I was at my sickest everything and I do mean most everything made me ill. There was a period of time where ground lamb and white rice were just about all I could eat.

I went on an elimination diet and discovered that I had quite a few intolerances and I am allergic to eggs and almonds . I had been eating them daily all my life :o

Once I eliminated the eggs and almonds from my diet my gut slowly began to heal .

I have been lucky enough that several of my intolerances have resolved (I can now eat corn and dairy :D )

But I am still allergic to eggs and almonds <_<