annegirl

Wesson Canola Oil

Rate this topic

I ran out of the oil I usually use (cheap brand from Winco) and so ended up buying Wesson Canola Oil from Albertsons here in town. That night I had a horrible reaction like I had eaten corn or soy, but I cooked all my own food and there's nothing else I can think of. The reaction was so significant that my stomach was still sore and tender a week later. I also had to take a day off of work I was so sick.

Has anyone else encountered a problem with corn or soy cc from Wesson oil? I'm going crazy trying to figure out what it was because I don't want to do it again. I've noticed that the reaction length depends on how easy it is to digest. Oil - a long time, protein - not so long but still bad, carbs or liquid - passes quickly.

Thanks! :)

Strange. I was always under the impression that canola oil had a little bit of Soy in it, or that most did. But maybe not. I know when I went through the Soy Allergy phase I through out all canola oil and only used olive and coconut oil (I like those better anyhow). I wish I could find the article I read to back that up, but I can't. :(

I know the primary oil is from rapeseed, but looking at the labels there have been several with soy added in. Maybe call the company? I hope you feel better though. :)

I called them, and while the gal was very nice and helpful she had no good answers for me. If the product is not one of the top 8 allergens they don't have good information for cross contamination. I'm pretty certain that my oil was cc'd with corn. I'm just so sensitive that it doesn't take much.

>sigh< yet another thing I have to worry about.