lvpriest

Glutening - A Day By Day Process - How Long Does It Last!?!?

Rate this topic

Hello everybody!

It's been so long since I posted, but after this last weekend - I need your wise words!

Basically, brief background is I have been 'off' gluten (and dairy) for about 11 months now. I say 'off' as although I am consciously trying to avoid - and do avoid - all things gluten, every now and then things slip in, and probably, if I'd be 100% strict with myself, not have let them slip in. Example being - tofu in a salad I get for lunch. No way that crispy goodness on the outside was just from regular grilling...lo and behold, when I checked thewebsite (after not having done for a while...as I knew what I would find) it wasn't gluten-free. Guess that explains the daily D then...

Anyway, for the last three weeks, I've been being UBER strict with myself - making my own lunches etc. But this weekend, I had two nights out - one night I drank 1 Grey Goose, the other night, 1 Belvedere.

And I have since discovered they are both wheat or rye based.

So my symptoms were as follows:

Day 1 (post Belvedere, already with ulcers on my tongue from the singular Grey Goose) - Ulcers/canker stores. Tingling down left arm. Bad stomach (D) about mid way through day. No appetite. Exhaustion. Dry eyes.

Day 2 - Massive exhaustion. Dry eyes. Dry skin. No BM. Insatiable hunger. Dry skin in hairline/behind ears. Ulcers still there, tingling subsided. Hard to catch breath.

Day 3 - Epic D. Incredible hunger and thirst. Dry eyes. Dry skin. Brain fog, difficult to concentrate.

Day 4 - Incredible thirst. Pain in left shoulder (same arm as tingling previously) and pain under rib cage (left side), especially when I draw breath. Hunger still there, but not as insatiable. Dry eyes. Brain fog, difficult to concentrate.

Do these sound like glutening symptoms to you? I'm pretty sure they are - I have had them before - but what I was wondering is what else can I expect?! Is there more to come!?

Thank you so much!!

L

Hello everybody!

It's been so long since I posted, but after this last weekend - I need your wise words!

Basically, brief background is I have been 'off' gluten (and dairy) for about 11 months now. I say 'off' as although I am consciously trying to avoid - and do avoid - all things gluten, every now and then things slip in, and probably, if I'd be 100% strict with myself, not have let them slip in. Example being - tofu in a salad I get for lunch. No way that crispy goodness on the outside was just from regular grilling...lo and behold, when I checked thewebsite (after not having done for a while...as I knew what I would find) it wasn't gluten-free. Guess that explains the daily D then...

Anyway, for the last three weeks, I've been being UBER strict with myself - making my own lunches etc. But this weekend, I had two nights out - one night I drank 1 Grey Goose, the other night, 1 Belvedere.

And I have since discovered they are both wheat or rye based.

So my symptoms were as follows:

Day 1 (post Belvedere, already with ulcers on my tongue from the singular Grey Goose) - Ulcers/canker stores. Tingling down left arm. Bad stomach (D) about mid way through day. No appetite. Exhaustion. Dry eyes.

Day 2 - Massive exhaustion. Dry eyes. Dry skin. No BM. Insatiable hunger. Dry skin in hairline/behind ears. Ulcers still there, tingling subsided. Hard to catch breath.

Day 3 - Epic D. Incredible hunger and thirst. Dry eyes. Dry skin. Brain fog, difficult to concentrate.

Day 4 - Incredible thirst. Pain in left shoulder (same arm as tingling previously) and pain under rib cage (left side), especially when I draw breath. Hunger still there, but not as insatiable. Dry eyes. Brain fog, difficult to concentrate.

Do these sound like glutening symptoms to you? I'm pretty sure they are - I have had them before - but what I was wondering is what else can I expect?! Is there more to come!?

Thank you so much!!

L

I thought liquors were safe because of the distilling process? Or was it a mixer in the drink? I'm not familiar with these cocktails. As far as your symptoms, some of them sound very similar to what I experienced in a recent glutening...the tingling in the arm, the pain in the shoulder and chest, exhaustian, brain fog, diarrhea. I don't know about the dry eyes, skin, hunger etc. but everybody's different and I wouldn't expect we'd all react the same way. My symptoms lasted about 5 days and then slowly subsided. I wonder why it seems to affect the left side so much more than the right side?