This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cross Contamination - Celiac Vs Intolerance

organicmama

organicmama Contributor

Has anyone found that they don't have to be quite as vigilant about cross contamination if they are gluten intolerant and not celiac? I'm not advocating eating gluten on purpose or not reading labels or checking restaurant ingredients, but wonder if it's as necessary to throw out cutting boards or avoid eating at other's houses or ask that food workers change gloves. I do not have symptoms where I can tell if I'm being exposed and wonder if I'm going overboard at times.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

My feeling for those who have no symptoms from gluten even though they know they are celiac/gluten intolerant (and no, I make no distinction between the two as far as damage potential) is that they have to be even more careful than those who are aware under what circumstances they have been glutened, because they never know what is damaging them or when.

domesticactivist Collaborator

I like what mushroom had to say... but... I'm wondering how you determined you are gluten-intolerant if you have no symptoms?

love2travel Mentor

Has anyone found that they don't have to be quite as vigilant about cross contamination if they are gluten intolerant and not celiac? I'm not advocating eating gluten on purpose or not reading labels or checking restaurant ingredients, but wonder if it's as necessary to throw out cutting boards or avoid eating at other's houses or ask that food workers change gloves. I do not have symptoms where I can tell if I'm being exposed and wonder if I'm going overboard at times.

When I was diagnosed with celiac disease I was shocked - it was discovered through genetic screening (my sister is gluten intolerant). At that time I thought I was asymptomatic, too, but it turns out that I possibly have related symptoms after all. For example, I had several miscarriages but that is not obvious when you eat gluten! Still, having been gluten-free for five months, I would have no clue if I were glutened because I cannot associate any obvious symptoms with any foods at all. I suffer from a lot of pain related to an accident as well as fibromyalgia. I also have insomnia due to chronic pain but of course that may be associated with my celiac disease. So, my dietitian says it is more difficult for those like me as we could be accidentally consuming gluten and not even know it and therefore have no clue what to avoid/change in the future. My sister who is gluten intolerant knows immediately when she consumes gluten and avoids it like crazy.

organicmama Contributor

I guess I should restate. I have long-term neurological and autoimmune symptoms that have been unexplained for years. I don't have short-term symptoms or GI symptoms, where I know within a few days whether I've consumed an offending item. I have had IgA testing done that shows high levels of antibodies to gluten, casein, soy, and egg. I do feel mentally better since stopping gluten and casein for sure. I am working on how to remove soy and egg, as those are brand new and several of the items I just restocked the pantry with do have small amounts of those items.

Skylark Collaborator

My mom is negative blood and biopsy and she does not have to be as careful as I do to feel well. She pretty much doesn't worry about CC because she's never had an issue with it. She can even eat a little soy sauce at Chinese restaurants, which always makes me sick.

anabananakins Explorer

I tested negative but I have to be really careful with cross contamination as a crumb makes me feel super ill. I remember reading posts here and thinking "oh well, it won't be so bad for me"... Ha!

On the plus side, I do recover pretty fast - within a day generally.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MJ-S Contributor

I also tested negative but I react to minute quantities.

For example, today. rolleyes.gif

I proudly made gluten-free pancakes in a large nonstick frying pan that I hadn't used in ages... in fact, since the last time I made gluteney pancakes! Since I've already established my propensity for stupid mistakes in another thread... now I'm left to wonder as I lie sick in bed on yet another beautiful Saturday... what got me?

Was it the shampoo I used yesterday morning? I bought a special clarifying shampoo for once a month use - it has wheat in it (none of my other products do) but I tried it anyway because it's only for once a month use, I super rinsed, and hey, I'm not swallowing it! I was fine after using it yesterday, but after sleeping on a pillow where my mouth comes into contact with where my hair has just been, could that be it?

The timing points more to the pancakes - the nausea, stomach pain, bad taste, lightheadedness, and inability to think/type (you have no idea how long it's taking me to write this) started within a couple hours of eating them. And even though the pan is in good condition - no noticeable scratches on it, it is the standard Farberware teflon variety. This is actually the only non-stick pan I hadn't thrown away, primarily because it's super large and I don't use it very often. Seems like it may also have to go. Does anyone think this is likely to be it? I hate to throw away a pan if I don't need to.

The meal was otherwise safe - pancake mix from Namaste (gluten-free, df, made in special facility), earth balance spread, blueberries, and freshly opened maple syrup.

Archived