JoyVertz

I Think About Food...

Rate this topic

like what i cannot eat. I'm constantly thinking about baked goods and cupcakes.... OMG.. cupcakes. I want some cupcakes right now. ha ha.

grocery shopping is crazy frustrating because it seems like there are 100 things i cannot have for every 1 i can... its making me sad.

It is sad and hard at first. I remember dreaming of Girl Scout Cookies and waking up in tears. But eventually you'll find lots of stuff you like, and you won't miss it so much. You can make Betty Crocker gluten free cupcakes from a mix.

Hope you are feeling better!

Hello

I don't know how long you have been gluten-free but turn that negative I can't into YES, I CAN. By gosh you can have cupcakes, snacks, chips, cookies, beer what ever it just must be gluten-free.. It's all available.. It does take a bit of searching or looking for but it is available...

Buy yourself a few mixes so you don't feel left out.. If you are new to the gluten-free lifestyle don't get overwhelmed & try to do or learn it all at once... There is too much info for any one brain at one time....

If you are new to gluten-free it is normal to have feelings of guilt, anger, sadness, aniexty, denial, it happens to most of us & we all have been there but it will get better. Keeping a positive outlook will help the transition.......

If there is a goodie that you can't do without & are craving please ask & some one on here will find it for you.. oddly enough many have found the things they used to love , they grow away from in gluten-free...

blessings

mamaw

We understand! At first I thought that way, too - only of what I could not have. Even when food commercials came on TV I would turn to my husband and say, "Can't have that. Can't have that, either." I still do that at times but not nearly as frequently. It is so cliche but so true that time really does make a big difference. You will begin to see things differently.

Delicious gluten-free cupcakes, cookies, cakes, pancakes, brownies, etc. can be as delicious as those containing gluten as you get to experiment with different flours. They are very easy to make gluten-free. Foods such as pizza crust, fresh pasta and breads can definitely be trickier and unfortunately are not like their gluten counterparts. But I think of them as replacements for the real thing because the real thing is evasive and can be tricky to make the same. I often make awesome rosemary roasted garlic focaccia bread that does taste close to the real thing. I've always been a baker so to find I had celiac disease was utterly shocking and I was in denial for a time.

You will be happily astonished at how many things are naturally gluten free! Maybe buy one intriguing ingredient you have never worked with and build a meal around it such as lemongrass. I taught an entire cooking class on just that! You can make a lovely lemonade, marinades, Thai dishes, skewered shrimp, simple syrup, etc. from just that.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm............ food.................... :)

i do it all the time! sometimes i wake up with a recipe in my head lol i am thinking of writing a cookbook if i ever bother to measure anything :D i never was very hungry ever so i am chalking this up as 'makeup hunger' hahaha

i bet my body is craving all the lovely nutrients it hasn't had in a long time. i am still underweight so i am not worried. yet. :/

I neglected to mention that food is probably the topic I think of more than anything else. Cooking is a HUGE part of my life. I do not think it would be possible to be more passionate about it! If I am not cooking I am reading about it; if neither I am dreaming about what I will be creating that evening. I teach all sorts of cooking/baking classes, test recipes for various US magazines and am now starting to do private weekly gluten-free baking for a client.

All my husband has to do on his business trips is buy me a Himalayan salt block or plump vanilla beans. When we watch Iron Chef I know nearly 100% of the time what the ingredients are and what will be made from the techniques. Ingredients make me tingle with joy! Truly. :P

i want french dip sandwiches in the worst way... and have yet been able to find good gluten-free breads/rolls i like. i'm the Milwaukee metro area and we have the gluten-free trading post but it has odd hours.. i have to send my husband down there.

I'm going to try to make a stir fry tonight. I did buy Tamari... Tuesday is my work late day so..i don't get home until after 8pm.

It kills me right now to have my kids eating somethign (i.e. ice cream cone) and say "wanna bite?" and I hav eto say "I can't have that". My older son (10) is learning how to read the ingredients. They wanted fish sticks for dinner one night...while we were at the store and my DH said to go get tartar sauce. He brought it back and said "I found some without gluten!" but then my husband goes "It won't matter because Mumma can't hav the fish sticks' UGH. I thought i was going to cry in the store. (even though DH has been super supportive and did not mean it like it sounded)

Its hard to find family friendly things that they all like where I don't have to cook twice... otherwise i sit there and look at their plates of gluten with pity party eyes. ha ha