anna34

Betty Crocker Cookie Mix

Rate this topic

So I just made the Betty Crocker chocolate chip cookie mix for the first time. I followed the directions exactly and they turned out VERY thin/delicate and crumbly. I can't pick them up without having them fall apart in my hand.

Has anybody else found this to be the case?

Are there any modifications I can make to the mix to make the cookies hold together better?

Is it just wishful thinking that I may one day have a chewy, warm chocolate chip cookie again? :P

I've never made cookies from a mix but you can easily make fabulous chewy gluten-free cookies from scratch! I am going for a massage appointment but will try to remember to attach a couple of recipes for you that work very well. My non-celiac husband actually prefers the gluten-free version!

I was not impressed with that mix, either. The first words out of my dd's mouth were, "Ugh, Mom, cardboard!"

I can't wait to see your recipes.

I was not impressed with that mix, either. The first words out of my dd's mouth were, "Ugh, Mom, cardboard!"

I can't wait to see your recipes.

I like Betty Crocker's gluten-free brownies, but that's it.

Ditto

Triple-O . . . :huh: . . . :lol:

The yellow cake mix is OK for cupcakes only (made in cake-form turns out very dry). . . but mine from scratch are way better. The cookies were so-so . . . OK in a pinch . . . but once again, mine from scratch are way better.

I think it comes down to the grind of the flour they use. I try to use flours/mixes with finer ground flour and it makes a huge difference in end-quality.

Anna,

Did your dough seem dry and crumbly? . . . then I would add a little more butter. If your dough seemed OK (I know, kind of hard to really tell) and then the cookies just seemed to spread way too much during the cooking process, then cut back a little on the butter and/or you might try refrigerating the dough.

OK - back from massage. This is one of the recipes I make regularly...my favourite. Must type the other one as it is in a book.

http://leitesculinaria.com/43464/writings-gluten-free-chocolate-chip-cookies.html

Thanks for the replies everyone! I remain hopeful. :) I will try making the cookies from scratch. They look delicious!

I enjoy baking, but don't always have a lot of time to do it. (I have to spend more time cooking now as I'm sure many of you can appreciate.)

Good to hear that the brownie mix is worthwhile. I bought one of those too.

weird, i love all the Betty Crocker mixes, while the cookies are a bit crumbly..we've never had issue with them being thin! Sorry it didn't work out for you!

Love the chocolate cake mix and brownies. The yellow cake is not really worth it and the cookies I don't even buy! I have never been able to make the cookies right. My mom and husband have all tried as well. I stick to making homemade peanut butter cookies. 1 egg, 1 cup pb, 1 cup brown sugar. Roll into balls and add chocolate on top :) I loved these before going gluten-free!

Thanks for the replies everyone! I remain hopeful. :) I will try making the cookies from scratch. They look delicious!

I enjoy baking, but don't always have a lot of time to do it. (I have to spend more time cooking now as I'm sure many of you can appreciate.)

Good to hear that the brownie mix is worthwhile. I bought one of those too.

They are awesome! No need for any mixes.... :P

The trick to using Betty Crocker mixes is to always use 1 extra egg. I did this to the cookie mix and it turns out great. Also I use their yellow cake mix for the base for many recipes. They have an awesome banana bread recipe on their website. I put in 1 extra banana but use the recipe as is from there. Have tried many of their recipes on www.bettycrocker.com/glutenfree and each one is really good. No one can even tell the banana bread is gluten free - have taken it to several functions and someone always comments how good the banana bread is. Good luck!

The trick to using Betty Crocker mixes is to always use 1 extra egg. I did this to the cookie mix and it turns out great. Also I use their yellow cake mix for the base for many recipes. They have an awesome banana bread recipe on their website. I put in 1 extra banana but use the recipe as is from there. Have tried many of their recipes on www.bettycrocker.com/glutenfree and each one is really good. No one can even tell the banana bread is gluten free - have taken it to several functions and someone always comments how good the banana bread is. Good luck!

Someone else on this board, can't remember who, always adds a small pkg. (3 oz?) of cream cheese to Betty C.'s mixes and says it makes them good.

Someone else on this board, can't remember who, always adds a small pkg. (3 oz?) of cream cheese to Betty C.'s mixes and says it makes them good.

I've seen that, too, but don't remember who posted it. A lot of the Cake Mix Doctor's gluten-free recipes use instant pudding mix. Or I've seen sour cream, etc. Guess it would be to add moisture as some of these cakes dry out quickly.

So I just made the Betty Crocker chocolate chip cookie mix for the first time. I followed the directions exactly and they turned out VERY thin/delicate and crumbly. I can't pick them up without having them fall apart in my hand.

Has anybody else found this to be the case?

Are there any modifications I can make to the mix to make the cookies hold together better?

Is it just wishful thinking that I may one day have a chewy, warm chocolate chip cookie again? :P

The first time I made them, they crumbled. I think it was because I melted the butter. Now I add room temperature butter - and maybe a little extra until the batter becomes creamy - like regular cookie batter. If the batter is crumbly, the cookies are crumbly. But don't add too much, because you have to roll them into balls. The balls should stick together, not crumble and not fall out of shape.

We love them. Easy to make and quickly disappear.

Remember, for all cookies, if you want them soft for the next day, cook them until the edges are brown, but the bottoms shouldn't be too brown. Just between undercooked and perfectly crisp - otherwise, you'll have crusty, crumbly 2 day old cookies.

I've made them enough times to learn the tricks, so to speak, and I love 'em. I add a couple different types of chocolate chips, and lots of pecan and/or walnut pieces. I made gluten-free CC cookies for several years from scratch, and yes, of course they can be better. But it's more time consuming, and labor intensive. You can whip these up fairly quickly.

First off, it's imperative to get the dough consistency right, just as in all gluten-free baking. I've found these need a pretty stiff dough, but a dough, not dry or crumbly. I use large eggs, and real butter. Then, refrigerate the dough. It will keep the cookies from over spreading too rapidly, and will result in a fatter, softer middle.

I like a crispy, breaks off and melts in your mouth cookie. So I bake mine a little longer. These are extremely difficult to keep crispy. After cooling completely on a wire rack, you need to store in heavy duty (more expensive) plastic containers with the O-rings, and locking lids. Not your normal tupperware containers. Otherwise, they will be soft the next day, no matter how long you baked them.

Regardless whether they're soft or crispy, I heat them in the microwave for about ten seconds, just enough to melt the chocolate chips. Yumm!

That's my story. best regards, lm

I was having the same issues with the cookies being too crumbly. Now I blend the mix VERY WELL with a hand-held pastry blender (like you would use for from-scratch pie crusts). Once the dough is very formed, which takes about 5 minutes of blending, I form the small dough balls by hand. Have had GREAT success. Most of my non-gluten-free friends assume that they are "regular" cookies.