This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Need A Gluten Free House, I Think

color-me-confused

color-me-confused Explorer

I've been glutened today while home in the house :angry: . I'm the only gluten-free eater in the house...I'm tired of cleaning up crumbs, wiping the fridge handle, etc. And now I'm sitting here with a raging migraine, reflux, and irritability knowing I somehow got glutened in the house even while preparing my own food.

Any suggestion how to sit down with the family and tell them that the current state of affairs is just not working? I think the kitchen needs to be basically gluten free, and if a pizza or something is introduced there needs to be a strict protocol how to handle it. I'm open to ideas...!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

come dance with me Enthusiast

I'm not sure where you are but Eagle Boys here are all fully gluten free apart from a couple of the sauces they use on specific pizzas. You can have the cheeseless too if you can't have milk either.

I'm not sure how to handle the family because I'm the only other one here with my 7yo so it was easy to make the whole house gluten free when she went gluten free. It's only when my mum visits she brings her own milk (she drinks cow milk) and her own bread with her but she finds it easier to not have bread at all lol.

mamaw Community Regular

We had a mixed house for years & I never got ill... But ground rules were laid from day one. I'm the housekeeper no maid here so ground rules RULE!

we could now own bounty paper towels with as many as we use each day but it is what we have to do. everything goes on a paper towel, no double dipping from anything,different storage area& utensils with different storage & colored handles so no one can use my things....if caught using my things they get something taken away including the adults!!!! Since I do dishes & no one else, I control the situation....

I now have reached the golden years& four of us are gluten-free so the total house is mostly gluten-free except for cereal, & bread,cracker but again if they are taken out of a box they go on a paper towel or bowl...

plus I would think if your family seen you terribly ill they should realize they need to step it up....as most are not pleasant after a glutening.....

good luck.

love2travel Mentor

I've been glutened today while home in the house :angry: . I'm the only gluten-free eater in the house...I'm tired of cleaning up crumbs, wiping the fridge handle, etc. And now I'm sitting here with a raging migraine, reflux, and irritability knowing I somehow got glutened in the house even while preparing my own food.

Any suggestion how to sit down with the family and tell them that the current state of affairs is just not working? I think the kitchen needs to be basically gluten free, and if a pizza or something is introduced there needs to be a strict protocol how to handle it. I'm open to ideas...!

gluten-free pizza is easy to make and while the crust may not be like the wood burning oven thin crust in Italy, it can be pretty good. :)

organicmama Contributor

Are these family members or roommates?

color-me-confused Explorer

Are these family members or roommates?

Family members. 2 young children and my wife.

cahill Collaborator

Have you discussed with your wife the possibility of her and the kids going gluten free at home??. She could (of course ) have gluten foods away from home.

Let her know that she and the kids may be making you ill .

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

organicmama Contributor

I would just discuss with your wife. They can certainly eat gluten outside of the house. Our littles had no issues eating gluten and casein free when we switched. The little bit of extra cost is worth good health.

SilverSlipper Contributor

I agree. Time for a family meeting. With two little ones, I can understand that it may be hard to work around what little kids expect these days (goldfish, oreos, etc). And, until you do a special diet, it can be very overwhelming and I'm guessing that is why your wife hasn't moved the house gluten free.

You need duplicate items like cutting boards and toasters, etc. Plus, your wife needs to get on board with the idea that gluten free comes first. In our household (mixed gluten), the theory is EVERYTHING is gluten free and the gluten items are kept separate (rather than a gluten kitchen with gluten free stuff bagged up, etc). All of our pots and pans, etc are gluten free utensils except for the few items that are gluten items.

Even little kids can learn to use paper towels and wipes. If you're nervous about them handling clorox wipes, even baby wipes would be better than nothing. The easiest chores in the world are wiping down kitchen tables and refrigerators, etc with baby wipes. Plus, they should use them to clean up after themselves.

Good luck!

zimmer Rookie

I discussed it with my husband (2 young children 6 & 4) but the discussion was not "should we" but "this is how it will happen." I tried for a little bit to have a dual kitchen but quickly came to realize it was way too much work, and too much stress on me to police everyone and everything.

They ate up and I tossed whatever gluten items were in the house, then I didn't buy more. The children have been tested - negative. So they are free to eat what they want outside the house. There has been a little whining about favorite cereals, but Chex flavors seem to fix the problem. I have ONE loaf of sandwich bread for school lunches, that I handle. The children are learning how to handle it, too, and are actually very conscientious since they want to get it right.

I just tell them that gluten makes mommy sick. We talk about all the foods that have it, and those that don't. They help me shop and are tireless label readers. They "get" it, and don't want mommy's tummy to hurt. Plus they are learning more about food. My husband has been good about it, too. As long as he gets his beer he is happy! :)

What I have come to realize is that when I respect my need to be gluten-free and keep the house gluten-free, my family respects it, too. If it's not important enough to me, then how can I expect it to be important enough to them? Further - if I'm not important enough to my family for them to give up a little gluten at home, then we have some bigger issues that need to be addressed!

Now I don't have to worry about anything (except the sandwich bread that leaves the house), like who's been touching what, or what are those crumbs. Even the dogs are grain-free. My family has adjusted and all is well. I highly recommend taking the plunge!

organicmama Contributor

Have you tried Panda Puffs, Gorilla Munch, Leapin Lemurs, and Koala Crisps by Nature's Path Foods? They're all gluten-free, fairly low sugar (usually 7 or 8 grams) and actually taste good enough to eat plain or with milk. Our regular store (Publix) carries them, in addition to the organic stores. They also tend to go on sale every few months, in our area for 2/$5.

There has been a little whining about favorite cereals

zimmer Rookie

Have you tried Panda Puffs, Gorilla Munch, Leapin Lemurs, and Koala Crisps by Nature's Path Foods? They're all gluten-free, fairly low sugar (usually 7 or 8 grams) and actually taste good enough to eat plain or with milk. Our regular store (Publix) carries them, in addition to the organic stores. They also tend to go on sale every few months, in our area for 2/$5.

Yes - we love Panda Puffs! I have a daughter who loves Honey Nut Cheerios. She is the one who has had a hard time with it, but the Honey Nut Chex are a good sub. Occasionally for a treat I will get her the Cheerios, and she will eat the whole box in a day or two. Having to restrict it for her has been good because now she has to eat other, more nutritious foods. She was getting to the point of not eating at mealtimes, and then filling up later on the HN Cheerios. It was getting to be a real problem!

Lilith Newbie

Like some others, when I went gluten free in March, so did my husband. I am the cook so I told him that I would only cook gluten-free foods. He, of course, is free to eat whatever he wants at work and at restuarants.

He has a one shelf in the pantry for his snacks that I don't eat, like regular pretzels, Pringles, cookies, etc. And there is a loaf of regular bread in the freezer for his sandwiches. I got squeeze bottles of condiments so there is no double dipping issue.

I just told him that this was very important to my health and while he is welcome to eat whatever he likes, he needs to know that is not an option for me. He's pretty god around the house in not leaving a mess but still has a ways to go in the eating out department. He loves fast food and is always suggesting McDonalds or someplace like that. Each time he does that, I roll my eyes and remind his there is little on the menu for me at those places and that I can only eat so many "house salads" while he is chowing down on burgers and fries.

But at least I'm pretty comfortable in my own house. Your wife should know that there are easy ways to stop CC and I hope she is more willing to work with you on this, rather than work against you. The little ones will be a challenge but they learn fast and can be taught proper procedures.

Good luck!

Archived