This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cupcakes

come dance with me

come dance with me Enthusiast

If you knew of someone who had a dedicated gluten free kitchen and made cupcakes for a fundraiser that were gluten free and vegan as well as nut free (and were decorated really nicely too) would you pay $8.50 for a pack of 6?

Unfortunately the ingredients are not donated so I have to take out the cost of making them (from scratch) before looking to make a profit for an organisation which means to make $2.50/tray I have to sell them for $8.50 each tray. I'm using Orgran flour, Orgran No Egg, Nutellex spread and CSR Icing sugar and Caster sugar with cruelty free food colouring. I'm worried they won't sell at that price though but can't really make them cheaper if I want to make a profit.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mizzo Enthusiast

Most people know they are spending their money on the receiving organization more so than the item. So , yes I would buy them if it was a charity I was supporting.

I would start your signage with that in mind. ie: " Support our great cause and buy these delicious homemade cupcakes made Allergen free with extra LOVE "

Thanks. We have a few things on the go at the moment including one-off donations that are tax deductable and a numbers board where people can buy a number on a board of 100 for $2 each then whichever number we draw the person on that number wins $100 with the other $100 going to the C ancer Co uncil in my area. They have been a success and we have a raffle that I'm about to put together with gift vouchers that have been donated from local businesses that I think will sell well. I was worried about this because it seems a lot for cupcakes but I really can't contaminate my kitchen by using Home Brand products and I honestly cannot bring myself to buy eggs lol.

Coleslawcat Contributor

That's actually a low price relative to custom bakers. It's only high in comparison to grocery store bakeries. If I wasn't a baker myself I wouldn't have any issue paying that price. Even for non gluten free cupcakes many bakers charge $1.50 a cupcake or more depending on the decorations. Although, it depends on your potential customers, if they will compare it to what they could pick up at Kroger than they might not be willing to pay that. But then again, like PP said, if it's marked clearly that it's for charity it could change things up a bit.

love2travel Mentor

I get paid $10 for 6 gluten-free cupcakes so no, I do not think that is too high (that is what was offered to me).

I'm not a baker. My time is donated but it's the only thing I can afford to donate so I only have to cover what I use and look to make a little bit extra. I'm glad it's not too high though! I think I'm thinking more for people who don't need gluten free that it seems high compared to non-gluten free cupcakes.

Marilyn R Community Regular

I think the fundraiser is great, but I would say that I personally wouldn't pay $8.50 for six cupcakes unless I knew you personally and knew your kitchen. I wouldn't be willing to drill you with questions, because I would have eaten before I went to the event, and I wouldn't want to create drama.

If you're well known in the cummunity and there are people with celiac disease or with chidlren with egg/wheat allergies, it could be worth a whirl.

I think most people with severe food allergies or intolerances are skeptical about purchasing baked goods. That's a big obstacle to overcome, price is yet another obstacle (time's are tough!)

I don't think you'll have good results, but I hope I's wrong. (Is somebody selling ice cold bottled water and/or lemonade?)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

love2travel Mentor

I'm not a baker. My time is donated but it's the only thing I can afford to donate so I only have to cover what I use and look to make a little bit extra. I'm glad it's not too high though! I think I'm thinking more for people who don't need gluten free that it seems high compared to non-gluten free cupcakes.

I know what you mean! When I first saw Udi's bread at $6.99 I was astounded. Then I encountered a $10 loaf of bread at a Farmer's Market. Thankfully I do my own baking but not everyone has as much time as I do. I used to balk at such crazy prices (when I first went gluten-free) but of course I realize now that some ingredients can be far more expensive than traditional ingredients. Hotdog buns $8.49 for four?! My husband bought them later for me as a treat but they were yucky anyway (ENER-G I think).

I can certainly see how many people would appreciate your cupcakes! I am very generous with the buttercreams I use on mine (then of course I get to lick the bowl). Tomorrow we are having lime coconut cupcakes with coconut buttercream. (We have company otherwise I would not be making desserts every night!)

Forgot to mention that the cupcakes I spoke of are made privately for a woman in town who is willing to pay anything for gluten-free baking as she has no time to do it herself. I get to do all her baking!

Poppi Enthusiast

I don't think the price is bad at all but I still wouldn't buy them because I couldn't be sure that they were safe for me.

The only baked goods I eat are the ones I make myself, the ones that come from known gluten free manufacturers (like Udi's) or very occasionally something from one of the 2 dedicated gluten free bakeries within a 3 hour drive. I have a friend who is always trying to give me gluten free goodies but I finally had to sit her down and say "Thanks but please stop, I love you but I don't let people cook for me in their homes."

I don't think the price is bad at all but I still wouldn't buy them because I couldn't be sure that they were safe for me.

The only baked goods I eat are the ones I make myself, the ones that come from known gluten free manufacturers (like Udi's) or very occasionally something from one of the 2 dedicated gluten free bakeries within a 3 hour drive. I have a friend who is always trying to give me gluten free goodies but I finally had to sit her down and say "Thanks but please stop, I love you but I don't let people cook for me in their homes."

Ah ok I have a fully gluten free kitchen. I've been vegan since 1980 apart from a few eggs in pregnancy in 2002 as well :) We are fully gluten free ourselves and my mum is on her way to being gluten free too (only her bread isn't) and my brother is becoming gluten free for my daughter to be able to go there safely :)

Juliebove Rising Star

Such cupcakes are ove $3 each here. I would buy them.

sa1937 Community Regular

I've been known to pay what appears to be ridiculous prices to support a cause...like when my granddaughters were doing fund-raising for various things through school or Girl Scouts.

And I was also shell-shocked to see how expensive certain things were when I first went gluten-free. I've gotten used to that. I probably wouldn't be inclined to buy your cupcakes since I do a lot of baking myself. I could see someone like my daughter buying them though as she doesn't have as much free time as I do.

luvs2eat Collaborator

I happily payed $4 for the most delicious gluten-free cupcake I've ever had. It was at a bakery in Philadelphia. It was a rich, moist chocolate cupcake w/ mocha buttercream on top and chocolate ganach on top of that. If yours are HALF that good, I'd happily pay your price!

freeatlast Collaborator

I know what you mean! When I first saw Udi's bread at $6.99 I was astounded. Then I encountered a $10 loaf of bread at a Farmer's Market.

Udi's chocolate cupcakes looked good at Kroger. Four huge ones. Anyone tried these? Just wondered if they'd be worth the $2 plus each. They would be worth it to me if they TASTE good.

They weren't iced. Would have to buy icing from Betty Crocker. So that would make them over $10 for 4.

kareng Grand Master

You will have a limited amount of people who will want vegan/gluten-free cupcakes. I would only buy them if I knew you personally. The risk of a stranger saying gluten-free but not following good practices is too great.

Maybe you could contribute something more mainstream that would sell to anyone. Homemade candies? Lemonade? Cloudless chocolate torte? Granola bar type thing.

sa1937 Community Regular

Udi's chocolate cupcakes looked good at Kroger. Four huge ones. Anyone tried these? Just wondered if they'd be worth the $2 plus each. They would be worth it to me if they TASTE good.

They weren't iced. Would have to buy icing from Betty Crocker. So that would make them over $10 for 4.

Were those chocolate cupcakes or the Double Chocolate Muffins (which obviously aren't iced). I did buy a pack of the muffins one time only and they were yummy. The gals at the health food store told me that they ice them with peanut butter icing. YUM!!!

freeatlast Collaborator

Were those chocolate cupcakes or the Double Chocolate Muffins (which obviously aren't iced). I did buy a pack of the muffins one time only and they were yummy. The gals at the health food store told me that they ice them with peanut butter icing. YUM!!!

You know, they probably were the muffins. Not iced. Peanutbutter icing!!!!! WOW. Would love the recipe for that!

love2travel Mentor

Or you could make frosting! I made luscious buttercream today - no ganache this time but tomorrow...

sa1937 Community Regular

You know, they probably were the muffins. Not iced. Peanutbutter icing!!!!! WOW. Would love the recipe for that!

The muffins are outstanding and especially if you nuke them for a few seconds so the chocolate chips melt! Darn, now I want some chocolate!!! :lol: For all I know, they may have used readymade icing. Am sure you could do a quick search to find a recipe or someone may come on and post one.

sa1937 Community Regular

Or you could make frosting! I made luscious buttercream today - no ganache this time but tomorrow...

Yum again! I am making ganache tomorrow to go on the flourless chocolate cake that I'll be making (the King Arthur recipe).

Poppi Enthusiast

Ah ok I have a fully gluten free kitchen. I've been vegan since 1980 apart from a few eggs in pregnancy in 2002 as well :) We are fully gluten free ourselves and my mum is on her way to being gluten free too (only her bread isn't) and my brother is becoming gluten free for my daughter to be able to go there safely :)

For sure, I'm not disputing that they would be safe but if I was at a fundraiser and saw a stranger selling gluten free goodies I wouldn't buy them. All I'm saying is that if I don't know you personally and trust you completely then I wouldn't buy the cupcakes so I'm guessing that most of the niche market that would want or need gluten free cupcakes might also be wary of purchasing them.

freeatlast Collaborator

That buttercream icing sounds delish, Love2. Now, could you tell me how to make that. I am icing challenged. Can never find an icing recipe that turns out right except for my burnt butter one. Would love some variety :) and butter cream sounds good.

For sure, I'm not disputing that they would be safe but if I was at a fundraiser and saw a stranger selling gluten free goodies I wouldn't buy them. All I'm saying is that if I don't know you personally and trust you completely then I wouldn't buy the cupcakes so I'm guessing that most of the niche market that would want or need gluten free cupcakes might also be wary of purchasing them.

Hmm I actually don't know anyone who would need to buy gluten free or vegan cupcakes but what I meant was do you think that's too much to ask considering most people won't have a need for them to be gluten free and could buy a 70c packet mix from the supermarket?

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

This is my position as well. I would have to know you really well and know how "gluten-free" your kitchen really is. But I would also need to know all the ingredients since I can't have soy and I have had bad reactions to quinoa. I wouldn't want to bother askign allt he questions I would need to ask to feel safe. For gluten-free baked goods I think that is a good price, however.

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Hmm I actually don't know anyone who would need to buy gluten free or vegan cupcakes but what I meant was do you think that's too much to ask considering most people won't have a need for them to be gluten free and could buy a 70c packet mix from the supermarket?

I think you are asking the wrong people then if that's what you want to know. Prior to my gluten-free days, no I would not have paid that much for muffins unless it was for a cause that was very close ot my heart. I don't see a lot of non-gluten-free/non-vegan people buying gluten-free vegan muffins. People may buy them because it supports a good cause but to tell the truth the words gluten-free may also turn more people off from buying them. Not saying gluten-free baked goods are all bad (I make lots of yummy things my non-gluten-free friends and family like) but there are enough bad gluten-free items out there that if non-gluten-free people have any experience with them they may think its bad tasting. Or they may confuse gluten with glucose if they are really ignorant and think they are buying low-sugar muffins. All this of course can depend on where you live and how educated people are about celiac, gluten intolerance, etc. I think you could have more people buying them because they are vegan than because they are gluten-free, but I may be wrong.

Archived