Austin Guy

Tooth Abcess Healing After Going Gluten Free

Rate this topic

I had a molar replaced by a dental implant and crown 6 years ago. Six months ago the gum started to hurt. Then small pieces of bone were popping out of the gum and puss started coming out between the implant and gum. My dentist told me the implant was failing and recommended an oral surgeon if it didn't heal on its own. He said to give it a month or two. I saw the dentist literally a week before going gluten free.

I have been gluten free for around 10 weeks and it the gum appears to be healing. No more bone coming out, the gum is less tender and the puss has all but vanished.

My theory is that the gluten intolerance finally got bad enough so my body was attacking the implant as if it was a foreign body that did not belong there - kind of like the skin's reaction to a splinter. Now that the autoimmune response has been turned off (not sure just how to say that) I think the gum and bone around the implant are healing.

Anyone else have any experience like this?

Multiple abscesses at the same time. My dentist had only seen that one other time and was baffled. This was before my celiac DX. I lost one tooth to another abscess too far gone and my oral surgeon was preparing to remove five more teeth. I was in so much pain I was ready to have all my teeth pulled. I went gluten free and everything stabilized. I still have my mouth full of amalgams as a result. Uh, yea.. I think. Your experience makes perfect sense to me.

Multiple abscesses at the same time. My dentist had only seen that one other time and was baffled. This was before my celiac DX. I lost one tooth to another abscess too far gone and my oral surgeon was preparing to remove five more teeth. I was in so much pain I was ready to have all my teeth pulled. I went gluten free and everything stabilized. I still have my mouth full of amalgams as a result. Uh, yea.. I think. Your experience makes perfect sense to me.

Wow, thanks.