organicmama

Successfully Clean Wooden Utensils?

Rate this topic

Has anyone with a now gluten-free dedicated home successfully cleaned their wooden utensils, wooden cutting boards, and plastic cutting boards and continued to use? We don't use nonstick in our home and I am going to season all of our cast iron again.

I have a lot of cutting boards and utensils, some pretty expensive. I hate to throw them all out. We do have a sanitize setting on our dishwasher that uses very high temps and plenty of bleach, vinegar, etc. I don't ever feel glutened in the short-term, so I can't tell.

Has anyone with a now gluten-free dedicated home successfully cleaned their wooden utensils, wooden cutting boards, and plastic cutting boards and continued to use? We don't use nonstick in our home and I am going to season all of our cast iron again.

I have a lot of cutting boards and utensils, some pretty expensive. I hate to throw them all out. We do have a sanitize setting on our dishwasher that uses very high temps and plenty of bleach, vinegar, etc. I don't ever feel glutened in the short-term, so I can't tell.

I can't imagine how you'd ever get gluten out of anything wooden or plastic. At least I wouldn't know how. Personally I'd replace them, which is what I did with mine. Your old stuff could be donated to charity or freecycled. I threw out a bunch of Tupperware, too, as I knew I'd never get it clean.

I've heard cast iron can be put in the oven on the self-cleaning cycle, which I assume is what you have in mind??? They would then have to be reseasoned but would be safe.

Yes, most people use the self-cleaning cycle as part of the seasoning process for cast iron.

I guess you could sand off a whole layer of your wooden spoons if you were desperate to keep them.

I read on here one guy literally sandblasted his cast iron pan down to the next layer....that took care of his gluten problem!

Unfortunately, I think you'll have to get rid of the wooden and plastic items. :( I can sympathize. We had to replace all of ours.