Rate this topic

Was just in the HFS (health food store) and re-looked at the packages of Nana's No Wheat! cookies (eg, choc chip, crunchy chocolate). The label boldly exclaims NO WHEAT!

On the back, "made in a facility that also processes wheat."

Sometimes you just have to laugh.

Now, I know any time we eat out in a restaurant we are also eating food from a facility that also processes wheat, but on the weekends when shopping this little ole Celiac gal tries to do her best.

Was just in the HFS (health food store) and re-looked at the packages of Nana's No Wheat! cookies (eg, choc chip, crunchy chocolate). The label boldly exclaims NO WHEAT!

On the back, "made in a facility that also processes wheat."

Now, I know any time we eat out in a restaurant we are also eating food from a facility that also processes wheat, but on the weekends when shopping this little ole Celiac gal tries to do her best.

At least their honest? :blink:

Goodness, yes.

I think the best Label Lameness I ever found was years ago with a bag of pretzels. I was doing a research paper on low-fat foods and was trying to compare the normal pretzels to the more expensive 'lite' pretzels.

The ingredients were the same. The calories per pretzel were the same. Everything was the same! And then finally, I discovered that the Lite Pretzels, which COST MORE, contained fewer calories per bag, because they HAD LESS PRETZELS. :lol: That was the only difference.

I think that was the start of my cynicism re: labels and how they can be manipulated. Good training for having to read so many labels now that I have so many celiacs in the family!

I thought you were going to point out that those cookies are NOT gluten free. At least not the chocolate chip ones. The second or third ingredient in the Nana's "NO Wheat" cookies is Barley flour. :blink: They do make a gluten-free line as well but I wouldn't buy them just based on everything else they make in the same facility.