suziq0805

Bachelorette Party And Wedding Invite

Rate this topic

I have received an invite to a bachelorette party and wedding for a college friend. The bachelorette party will be hosted by one of my close friends. I'm just not sure how to handle it. I know there will be supper served or going out for the party. This is my first time going to something like this since going gluten-free. I was planning on talking to her to see what the plans were for the evening so that I could either bring my own food or call the restaurant to check into gluten-free options. Is that the "proper" way to do it? The host knows that I'm gluten-free but I don't know if she really understands it or why I'm doing it. I've been through so much and never gotten a diagnosis of anything but I'm trying it because nothing else has worked to get rid of my symptoms. I kind of feel like people think I'm crazy or a hypochondriac, but if there's a chance that my symptoms could disappear them I'm going to try it!!

Also- I have a 1 year old and have not had a night out for almost 2 years....so I'm looking forward to it! But what can I drink out at a bar? I've tried looking online, but I just don't know how to make some of my favorite drinks to know if they are safe or not. I like fruity drinks...not a fan of strong drinks. So I liked stuff like peach schnapps, and the mixed drinks "purple rain" and "sex on the beach". If I buy drinks at the store it's usually wine coolers, dessert wines or Schmirnoff grape/strawberry drinks. I think a lot of those have malt in them. Any suggestions for drink options?

What is the proper way to handle a wedding invite? Do you eat before you go, bring your own food, or contact the reception site to see if they have gluten-free options? The bride is so busy so I don't want to add anything else to her list of things to do.

Definitely call the restaurant beforehand. A lot of times they will provide something gluten free made in a gluten free environment. Most hard Liquor and wine are ok. NOT BEER as most restaurants do not carry the gluten free kind. Please do not let anyone label you a hypochondriac - my brother and sister have done that to me and I know that it is distressing - which is not going to help a stomach ache or your mental well being. Try to ignore people who do not understand or want to understand celiac disease. It can come with a lot more physical problems than just not eating gluten. I would however get checked out by a good gastroenterologist though just in case it is something else. I had every test they have for the disease and all were positive. It is especially important to get a biopsy of the small intestine - don't worry, it does not hurt. Good luck to you and hope that you are feeling better soon.

My friend invited me to her wedding. I told her up front about my allergies and intolerances. I asked her, if she can ask at the restaurant, if they can make me something special- gluten and milk free. She went there to choose her menu. They answer was no. There was other party- Sweet 16 and the people at restaurant would be very busy. I just brought all my food, fruit, cake myself. When the time was for dinner, I just asked the servant to put my food on plate and heat up in microwave. I knew what was on the menu and I made for myself one meal gluten and casein free at home. I was safe, I didn't feel bad. I didn't have to worry about the cross contamination, and I enjoyed my night out.