Austin Guy

Glutened By Something I Ate Safely Last Week

Rate this topic

I just pulled some brisket out of the freezer that I cooked last week. Ate some with the same BBQ sauce I had last week. Ate nothing else, used clean utensils, but had significant glutening symptoms within 30 minutes. Ate the same stuff the same way 3 times a week ago and was fine.

Any ideas as to what might have happened?

Could the BBQ sauce have gone bad or gotten contamination somehow? Did you have to slice the brisket on an old cutting board or reheat it in old tupperware with scrathes or in an old scrathed non-stick pan?

Good call on the cutting board. It was one I used to slice home-made bread months ago. Must have contaminated some of the meat. It is amazing that gluten could be on something I have washed and washed and not used in months, but that must be it.

Anyone else use the BBQ sauce? We have had the tutorial on pour the sauce from a couple of inches above the glutenous burger bun. My boys remember well. They actually pour onto the meat not the bun. Hub forgets. Touching the sauce bottle to the food isn't a good idea anyway.

Anyway, you have to watch out for those sneaky gluten b$$$$$$$s! :ph34r:

I'd like to add that Celiac Disease is an Autoimmune Disease. Once the autoimmune mechanism has been triggered, other things other than gluten may set it off as well. Your symptoms may have been caused by your immune system attacking your body, but not necessarily triggered by gluten. Other things that can set off a sensitive immune system are infections, stress, environmental toxins. Remember, it's not just the gluten. You have to care for your immune system as well.

You have to care for your immune system as well.

I get so frustrated I could cry sometimes when my husband has distinctive gluten reactions and I can't for the life of me determine where the gluten came from. What else should we be doing to care for his immune system? What are some other triggers common to people with gluten intolerance?