Katrala

Reflections Of 3 Months Gluten-Free

Rate this topic

So I'm hitting my 3-month gluten-free mark. Go me.

Quick background. Started having problems August 2010. Lost 70 pounds between then and April of 2011, when I had a positive Celiac test. Endoscopy later that month came back positive as well for Celiac. GI told me he'd like to see me gain 10 pounds in 3 months, which I accomplished just this week.

I've been a lurker on several gluten-free sites and have read several books over the past few months. While I'm by no means an expert, I am light years ahead of where I was 3 months ago. Here are some observations that I've made from interactions with other people (both in person and online.)

• While initially excited to see so many gluten-free foods, it's much simpler and cheaper to make your own of just about everything

• The gluten-free fad seems to be doing more harm than good to people who have to truly follow the diet

• "Gluten" and "Glucose" sound too similar

• Reminding myself that I can have wine, popcorn, and chocolate really helps on bad days

• I wish people would stop associating every little stomach pain and other issue(s) with gluten. Maybe you just have a simple stomach ache. Maybe you're just having an off day. It happens to everyone - celiacs and non-celiacs.

• When I meet another person with celiac, they want to talk to me about their GI issues. Just because we both have celiac doesn't meant I want to hear about your most recent bowel movement

• Making gluten-free bread isn't as easy as I first thought. I could make some serious money selling gluten-free bricks and doorstops.

• "I spilled your new bag of Xanthum Gum" isn't my husband's best attempt at humor.

• Celiac Disease seems to attract hypochondriacs - especially the ones who think they have every disease in the world and when they are actually diagnosed with something, wear it like a medal.

• Social settings that are centered around food typically suck.

• I can live for several days off a loaf of Udi's and a jar of Barney Butter and/or Nutella.

• Watching The Next Food Network Star (Orchid is worse than Mary Beth? Seriously?) can be just as much fun as it used to be if you play "How could we make that gluten-free?"

• Specialty / Health Food Stores are insanely overpriced. $5 for the same brand of baking powder I can get at Wal-Mart for $1.50? Only buy there what you can't buy anywhere else.

• When people say, "I can tell you're getting better!" an inappropriate (but funny) reply is, "Are you calling me FAT?!?"

• If you choose to restrict your diet for non-medical reasons, I have no desire to listen to your complaints regarding food.

• Upvote 3

I especially agree with this one:

"Gluten" and "Glucose" sound too similar

My husband gets it mixed up and often says "gluctose". This causes lots of confusion at restaurants as you can imagine.

Katrala, I'm with you on the whole popcorn & chocolate thing! :D

I agree that "making your own" is cheaper, plus far superior to so much of the processed junk out there.

Example - my first month diagnosed I had no clue. I ate Amy's Kitchen meals daily ($6 plus where I live). Then I learned to read, read & re-read labels & they're processed in a plant that handles wheat (yet advertised as gluten free)??!!

I've been living on my homemade hummus and my black bean dip (waaaaay better than Amy's ;) )

Thanks from someone 5 days into gluten free.

Could I ask what other sites and what books?

Might add, If I had listened to Dr. Eades (Protien Power) 10 years ago, Iwould not need to be here now! We were never meant to eat grains!

Thanks for the laughs Katrala!

Quick background. Started having problems August 2010. Lost 70 pounds between then and April of 2011, when I had a positive Celiac test. Endoscopy later that month came back positive as well for Celiac. GI told me he'd like to see me gain 10 pounds in 3 months, which I accomplished just this week.

I've been a lurker on several gluten-free sites and have read several books over the past few months. While I'm by no means an expert, I am light years ahead of where I was 3 months ago. Here are some observations that I've made from interactions with other people (both in person and online.)

• While initially excited to see so many gluten-free foods, it's much simpler and cheaper to make your own of just about everything

• The gluten-free fad seems to be doing more harm than good to people who have to truly follow the diet

• "Gluten" and "Glucose" sound too similar

• Reminding myself that I can have wine, popcorn, and chocolate really helps on bad days

• I wish people would stop associating every little stomach pain and other issue(s) with gluten. Maybe you just have a simple stomach ache. Maybe you're just having an off day. It happens to everyone - celiacs and non-celiacs.

• When I meet another person with celiac, they want to talk to me about their GI issues. Just because we both have celiac doesn't meant I want to hear about your most recent bowel movement

• Making gluten-free bread isn't as easy as I first thought. I could make some serious money selling gluten-free bricks and doorstops.

• "I spilled your new bag of Xanthum Gum" isn't my husband's best attempt at humor.

• Celiac Disease seems to attract hypochondriacs - especially the ones who think they have every disease in the world and when they are actually diagnosed with something, wear it like a medal.

• Social settings that are centered around food typically suck.

• I can live for several days off a loaf of Udi's and a jar of Barney Butter and/or Nutella.

• Watching The Next Food Network Star (Orchid is worse than Mary Beth? Seriously?) can be just as much fun as it used to be if you play "How could we make that gluten-free?"

• Specialty / Health Food Stores are insanely overpriced. $5 for the same brand of baking powder I can get at Wal-Mart for $1.50? Only buy there what you can't buy anywhere else.

• When people say, "I can tell you're getting better!" an inappropriate (but funny) reply is, "Are you calling me FAT?!?"

• If you choose to restrict your diet for non-medical reasons, I have no desire to listen to your complaints regarding food.

[*]Celiac Disease seems to attract hypochondriacs - especially the ones who think they have every disease in the world and when they are actually diagnosed with something, wear it like a medal.

Katrala, congrats.

I normally try to stay pretty upbeat on this forum but this comment is in poor taste.

I was accused of being a hypocondriac by a doctor or two (who all missed the celiac diagnosis for 30+ years) and by family members. I know that there are many on here who had that same experience.

I DID think I had: ovarian cancer (bloating), axiety, arthritis, thyroid issues, etc. I had daily pain, weekly mouth ulcers, low energy, nausea, big D. Almost all of these symptoms are 100% gone now.

It's not your fault that docs ignored me but calling someone out for "wearing a medal" is pretty low. Just my opinion.

• Upvote 2

Katrala, congrats.

I normally try to stay pretty upbeat on this forum but this comment is in poor taste.

I was accused of being a hypocondriac by a doctor or two (who all missed the celiac diagnosis for 30+ years) and by family members. I know that there are many on here who had that same experience.

I DID think I had: ovarian cancer (bloating), axiety, arthritis, thyroid issues, etc. I had daily pain, weekly mouth ulcers, low energy, nausea, big D. Almost all of these symptoms are 100% gone now.

It's not your fault that docs ignored me but calling someone out for "wearing a medal" is pretty low. Just my opinion.

I'm not trying to offend anyone.

I wasn't saying that people with celiac are hypochondriacs.

There has been more and more awareness regarding celiac disease - the most recent "All You" magazine even mentions it as a possible cause for fatigue.

The people I'm referencing are the ones who would open the magazine, read about celiac, and say, "Last Monday I was soooo tired, I must have celiac disease!"

These are also the same people that describe their health impairments and every diagnosis they have/had/thought the had before even telling you their name. And when you mention anything out of the norm health-wise, they know exactly what is likely wrong with you and bring you the number for a local support group on the topic the next day.

People that are excited about a diagnosis not because they finally have answers and will feel better, but because they can post it on their facebook page as soon as they get home. This is the medal that I'm referencing.

I was personally excited about my diagnosis because I finally DID have answers.

Again - not trying to offend anyone and I'm sorry if it came across that way.

So many true things here. If you ever find a use for those gluten-free bricks and doorstops, I'll happily send you mine to sell. :lol:

So many true things here. If you ever find a use for those gluten-free bricks and doorstops, I'll happily send you mine to sell. :lol:

You can have my flat cookie hockey pucks, too.

Thanks for the clarification. I was so happy to have a diagnosis of celiac. I remember waking up the next day and my first thought was "I'm so happy...I have celiac!" Even though I didn't know how much it would help or how much was connected (or how much it would positively impact my son) I was so happy to think that my GI distress would go away!