N100A

Are All My Spice Mixes Bad?

Rate this topic

I use spice mixes such as Shan and MDH. They are imported from overseas and I cant seem to get an answer from the company on the gluten content of the mixes.

Ive looked at mutliple ones - some list wheat, while others dont. But I used one yesterday and felt really sick today - it lists Asafoetida, which after researching i see can be combined with wheat --- any ideas where else I can look up the info? Any labs test food for consumers? Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance

Spice mixes from abroad sold in the U.S. are still governed by the allergen law. Wheat MUST be listed.

richard

Asafoetida, also called hing, is something we can't have. So that might be your answer.

I use the Shan spice mixes all the time. I have never gotten sick but I had no idea about the Asafoetida or hing. Thank you for this information, I was only avoiding the ones that listed wheat on the label...

Asafoetida, also called hing, is something we can't have. So that might be your answer.

Why?

I see no reason we can't have this unless wheat is added to the powdered version:

"Typical asafoetida contains about 40-64% resin, 25% endogeneous gum, 10-17% volatile oil, and 1.5-10% ash."

richard

I see no reason we can't have this unless wheat is added to the powdered version:

"Typical asafoetida contains about 40-64% resin, 25% endogeneous gum, 10-17% volatile oil, and 1.5-10% ash."

richard

Sounds yummy? :ph34r:

Also gluten-free

Sounds yummy? :ph34r:

Also gluten-free

Reading about how it's used, it actually DOES sound yummy once it's cooked (although it smells and tastes bad in raw state). I want to try it now.

richard

I forget where I saw that hing was not acceptable, but it might have been on my Triumph dining cards. It's possible that some brands are okay but others are not. Or it could be outdated info. Until I know otherwise, I'll avoid it.

Here's a link to someone who researched Indian food before eating in India, and what to avoid. In the comments section there is more info on how hing can be sold as the resin, or ground with some kind of flour. Also has good info on what's likely to be cross-contaminated.

http://www.bookofyum.com/blog/dining-as-a-gluten-free-veg-in-india-decoding-a-north-indian-menu-for-allergies-1280.html