Rate this topic

I have heard that there can be some issues with gluten free dental materials. I have to have a root canal and new crown work. Does anyone know what I have to ask the dentists about?

Thanks for any info

I have had to have an emergency root canal and a filling since going gluten-free (in addition to cleanings). The thing you need to ask about it is the rinse (if they use one) and when you get your teeth cleaned the fluoride. I was not able to have a fluoride treatment! The actual crown/filling materials are fine for us.

My dentist did have a gluten free flouride but it wasn't their usual one so you need to ask and read the ingredients for yourself.

The root canal/filling materials are fine but if you are getting a cleaning at some point the cleaning stuff might not be. They use a mixture of pumice and Tom's of Maine toothpaste when they clean my teeth because the regular cleaning paste has gluten.

I suggest calling two weeks in advance of an appointment, in case they need to research their ingredients and order different ones. For cleanings, I just take in my own toothpaste for them to use during the polishing.

I'm a Dental Hygienist, and I will check at work tomorrow the brand names of products we use that are gluten free. I know our polishing paste is definitely Gluten free (I want to say the brand is "NEXT" and it does contain fluoride), but I'll check more tomorrow! The filling materials for composite (white) fillings, and Amalgam (silver) fillings should also be gluten free. Endo (root-canal) stuff should be too--- but I'm not quite sure about the Endo, but I'll get back to you soon!

I suggest calling two weeks in advance of an appointment, in case they need to research their ingredients and order different ones. For cleanings, I just take in my own toothpaste for them to use during the polishing.

I did call my dds ahead of time and was told the toothpaste is gluten free. What they neglected to mention is that I would be getting a fluoride treatment. The assistant read out the ingredients of the fluoride to me and it seemed ok, but I didn't have my laptop to do a quick internet search, either.

Does anyone know the ingredient(s) to be on the lookout for in the fluoride?