smmeri99

Questions And New To This?

Rate this topic

I have been gluten-free for about 4 months now. Noticed a huge difference within the first week. no more fatigue no more depression no more god awful stomach pains. within the next few months my bathroom habits began to improve greatly as well. But this last month i have noticed to be going backwards. Bathroom problems back to terrible and fatigue and depression coming on again. I am extremely careful of what i eat even as far as if it doesnt say gluten-free i dont buy it or eat it. I still am just so unsure of the safe or unsafe ingredients. But the one thing I havent changed or worried about was my personal health care items shampoo, soap, cleaners that stuff. so wondering what anyone thought about it possibly being that? i called my dr they said try switching that stuff for a week and call them back. I am at this point so frustrated with it all i wanna cry or scream or both LOL! Also my husband and kids are not totally gluten-free with me. my kids still have their whole wheat bread and cereals and things. i make sandwiches for them and stuff and touch breaded things. should i try stopping that as well. but i also dont want to take away from the kids. i already feed them pretty healthy and i don't like the gluten-free breads at all so i cant expect them to like it. Or i can't find bread i like yet anyways. Any suggestions or help for me would be greatly appreciated.

thank you

melissa

What kind of bread have you tried? My favorite is Udi's sandwich bread (I tried the whole grain once and it was a bear to get the slices apart). Last week, my store was out of it so I had to get another brand. I don't know if it was just a bad brand, or that it was rice bread, but it fell apart before I could get it to the toaster.

Or is it that they don't like the sandwiches toasted? Unfortunately, from what I know so far, there is no such thing as eating a soft fluffy sandwich with the gluten-free bread. But I'm still discovering things, and getting used to eating my sandwiches toasted.

Chex makes a very tasty honey nut cereal that my boys and I like. Since my boys are also 1 and 3, we're still eating the Gerber snacks and many of those are gluten free as well. But mostly we snack on fruit. Apples, bananas, and grapes are our faves.

btw, that rice bread, though it falls apart, makes a fairly decent grilled cheese, since the cheese holds the pieces together. It can just be difficult to flip. ;)

I thought I should mention..if you're handling wheat bread when making the kids sandwiches..maybe get yourself some of those thin plastic disposable gloves like food handlers use so you don't get glutened.

Also, if you use wheat flour in cooking for the family it will go airborn even tho you can't see it and breathing it in will gluten you.

It's hard having a mixed household!

A lot of people find secondary food sensitivities once the gluten is out of their systems.

Try keeping a log of what you eat to see if you can find a food that gives you symptoms?

Good luck!